“Lox in Alaska!”
Review of Maura's Cafe and Deli - CLOSED

Maura's Cafe and Deli
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Maura's cafe is formally known as Panarelli's ( same owners) has been in operating in Homer for seven years, it is located in historic Old Town Homer.
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I'm generally a fan of lox on a bagel, and while I grew up in Alaska, I've never experienced the opportunity to enjoy this typically east coast entree in my hometown of Homer, Alaska. The presentation of Maura's Bagel and Lox was enough to get my heart a-pounding. The taste, as you can imagine with the ocean being less than a block away, was beyond my wildest expectation. Top rating for a world-class establishment and staple of the Homer food scene.

1  Thank Andrew V

Reviewed June 17, 2014

My first visit to Maura's was as the electricity went out on the entire Kenai Peninsula and Maura's was closing for the day; I couldn't get anything to eat but it SMELLED SO GOOD! I went back the next day and ordered a soup-of-the-day and a salad, the Goddess, to go.

Holy smokes. I did not anticipate so much taste. The soup was a Tom Yom Gai, full of flavor and full of good tasting vegetables, like how could anything that tastes this good be so healthy? The salad was it's match, served with two slices of a delicious bread, it was full of surprises - tasty pumpkin seeds, maybe marinated? Shreds of something rosey in another tangy dressing, and slices of roasted beets, lots of shredded carrots, big slices of healthy avocado all on a bed of greens that did not look like it came from a sack. This food is heaven on earth, clearly made by someone who puts a lot of care into food preparation. I think I'll go back again tomorrow :-)

Reviewed June 12, 2014

This is a terribly cute place with some seriously good food and coffee. I didn't make it in time for breakfast, though there were a couple of breakfasty items still available, but the lunch was awesome. I got the Busty Lusty sandwich which has chicken breast, bacon, spinach, provolone, french mustard, and red pepper aioli (hot sandwich) which was about 14.oo and came with a lovely side of pesto pasta salad. There are a ton of options and I thought the prices were very reasonable. The coffee is excellent and they have two coffee stations one inside the main area and another in the small room off of the deck. There is seating in all three areas. Lunches are pretty much hot or cold sandwiches, salads, and soups. Breakfasts are omelets, bakery items, and then gorgeous things like baked brie or root veggie hash. I was seriously sad to miss breakfast. Lunch potions were large and I took half of my sandwich with me.

When you go in, order at the counter, get your coffee at the serve yourself stations and go sit down. The food will come to you, and then when you are done you go back to the counter and pay for it.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

We ate breakfast and lunch at Maura's on different days. The food was really good. We only wish they had been open for dinner.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

My husband and I had some great sandwiches. The Rosemary Chicken Salad Sandwich was really good. Well worth the stop.