“Scenic restful retreat”
Review of A Stellar View

A Stellar View
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Homer
A Stellar View
Ranked #19 of 40 Homer B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We spend five nights here at the Stellar View and it was a great place to stay. It is minutes out of town, which makes it restful, quite and the perfect place to get a good nights sleep before the days adventure. Loved the comfy beds, down comforter, jams, bagels, and tea. It was perfect to have the food in the room so we could just get up and go as most of our trips left early on the morning. Loved the privacy that the place allowed us with the room being above the garage. It was so great to sit and just look out at the view and chat with the owners when they were around. They had great recommendations for restaurants and had lots of brochures of activities in the area. The owners were so kind and let us store our small box of fish in the freezer overnight as we had an early morning flight. I would recommend this to anyone.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I spend almost as much time on the road as I do at home. My trip to Homer, AK and my one week stay at A Stellar View was hands down my favorite trip in a very long time. A Stellar View is the perfect choice for traveler’s like me who want to enjoy the comfort of a B& B but who don’t want to give up their privacy or operate on someone else’s schedule. First off, the view as the name applies is indeed stellar. To wake up to it is to be instantly inspired and it practically demands that you get up and out to explore. Even the rain could not dissuade me from exploring “the cosmic hamlet” that is Homer so don’t even think about coming to AK without your hiking boots. I started each morning sitting in a very comfy bed with all of the necessary down fluffiness that I require to be happy, gazing out the window and soaking in the vibes that fill you when you are looking at something truly spectacular. The room is completely private so you can come and go as you please, play music and watch late night movies without shame or worry. The room itself is separate from the main house and was impressively immaculately clean. The thoughtfulness that went into the items in the room made me feel instantly at home (Wi-Fi, assorted movies, books, games, food, Brita water pitcher, coffee maker, honey, tea, hairdryer, handmade soaps, great shampoo…check. It was all there, even a toaster and a stocked mini fridge.). Mary gave me a head’s up and directed me to some great restaurants, the local farmer’s market, the local bars and art galleries and even a very cool and quirky event that was happening that week on the beach on the Homer Spit. But, my favorite thing that I still miss was the selection of homemade jams that Mary made from the black currants, strawberries and rhubarb that were picked fresh from Greg’s garden and the jar of locally caught home canned smoked salmon. I devoured them shamelessly. I will also admit that I fell shamelessly in love with Homer, their home & family, Mary’s food, Greg’s gardens, their son Peter and the Salty Dawg Saloon and I can’t wait to come back again! Thank you so much for a wonderful experience:)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank nolablues
Reviewed August 19, 2011

My wife and I had a two night stay at A Stellar View. We chose this B&B because it allowed us to have a busy morning schedule and not have to wait for someone to make us breakfast on their own schedule. This B&B places all the things you will need for a hearty breakfast in your room so that you can awake at your own pace, make coffee and dig into the delicious foods (or take them with you). Our selection included: organic coffee, teas, bagels, english muffins, blueberry muffins, bananas, oranges, yogurt, cereals, and homemade berry jam. We are vegetarian so the owners did not include the smoked salmon that they normally do.

The room was well thought out and very new. Hardwood floors, clean large bathroom, amazing bed with soft, high thread count linens, small flatscreen, refrigerator, well lighted, power-strip for all your charging needs, and WiFi ready. The room has a good view of the nearby mountains and glaciers. We were quite comfortable and cozy during our stay. The grounds have a great garden which has a wonderful pond as a focal point and is a pleasing natural habitat for moose and the occasional crane.

We did not find this location to be far from town, I mean come on, nothing in Homer is more than 5 minutes away from anything and in fact A Stellar View is very close to one of the best restaurants in the area (Homestead), many art galleries, and some great hikes (don't miss "Alpine Meadow"). We went bear viewing and kayaking and had no problem getting down to the Spit area in about 5 minutes.

The owners were very gracious I received quick and informative emails during the planning stages, and when we arrived at 900PM in the evening it was made problem free, they were available when we needed then to be and happy to answer any questions we had. Mary (one of the owners) even offered to store some luggage for us so we did not have to leave it in the car while we went kayaking on our last day.

All in all we thought A Stellar View was a great choice, and with a fantastic room rate relative to other B&B's in the area. We would return, and highly recommend it, especially for the more independent, nature oriented travelers.

Room Tip: Only one room, use their online booking tool to scout out availability.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Albatross37
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Seems all B and B's in Alaska are done for the income. This one was done well in that the room, a new room built well, over the garage, had a great view of the bay and the Homer Spit, but we never met the owners and the breakfast was in the room the night before, bagels, muffin, OJ, and coffee. It s a drive from town too - about 15 minutes - and we like to interact with the owners, ask about the area and where to eat etc so we had no chance to do that. For privacy and quiet and a good sleep ( as best as can be had when the sun does not go down), it was very nice.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jenny G
astellarview, Owner at A Stellar View, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2011

I am somewhat puzzled by this review as the guests state "they never met the owners" when indeed they met my husband and me the morning after their one night stay. They seemed very happy and stated "everything was fine" and were on their way to sit by the pond and have their coffee. They also left a nice note in the guest book. Our model and marketing is around privacy. I realize there are two types of B and B guests, those who like to be served breakfast and interact with the owners a lot and those who like their privacy. We cater to the a latter. We are COMPLETELY available to our guests and post in three locations, our room notice posted on the wall, a note on the door and the welcome letter I send ahead, to please call us at anytime with requests. Sometimes we do not see a guests at all and other times we have see them a lot and have made some great and long lasting friends. Our room is immaculate, high end construction, with organic products, homemade jam from our yard and locally made soaps. You can sit in your bed and look at a glacier plus see views from every direction of the unit, some of our beautiful bluff behind us. Other than our roof which you look over there is not another building in site, just sweeping views of the bay. I feel that is an amazing value. I am so sorry and still a bit shocked that our guests were not completely satisfied. So if you are an independent traveler who likes privacy, quiet, gorgeous views, a great nights sleep away from the tourist area and hosts who are completely available but will not bug you then we are the place for you!

Reviewed June 15, 2010

We loved our stay at Stellar View in Homer! It was a few minutes outside of town, but totally worth it! It is a private room, with a private bath, in a private building, with a private entrance! For the price, that is an amazing deal. The bed was soooo comfortable, and we could see glaciers from bed. The bathroom was very nice and there were homemade Alaskan soaps to sample. Our breakfast was already in our room for the morning... cereals, oatmeals, bagels, homemade muffins, and the refrigerator was full of everything we might possibly need (we were very impressed with how well thought out it was). Organic coffee and a variety of teas were supplied for us. We really liked having a private breakfast (without the awkward morning around the table with strangers that usually accompanies a b&b).

The owners were very friendly, there for our every need, but let us have our space. They went out of their way to help us with some special requests, and we were so grateful. The balance was perfect for us and we would absolutely stay again, but hopefully for longer next time.

Clean, comfortable, relaxing... we liked staying here better than the 4-star hotel in Anchorage!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jkgoodman2006
Reviewed September 22, 2008

This was the best place we stayed on our trip to Alaska, especially after the contrast in accomodations the previous night in Seward. The view is great; the space is cozy, private and chic (without being pretentious); and everything was so well thought out and with such nice touches...homemade and delicious muffins that awaited us, locally made soap in the bath, fluffy duvet, art work, lots of teas to choose from, salmon cream cheese etc. We were really sad that we were only here for a night and wished we could have stayed longer. The property has a garden area/pond where you can just hang out, and the room is in a separate building on the second floor so it's very secluded. One thing to note is that it isn't in "city" or spit part of Homer but rather in the surrounding hills -- about a ten minute drive. Like Homer, it's a very special place.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple