“great location but...”
Review of Land's End Resort

Land's End Resort
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Homer
Reviewed August 12, 2010

The perfect place to stay is in a loft room. Great rooms with a wonderful view of the sea.
Remember the 700 are the the biggest rooms and the 600 are the small ones garage style but beautiful. You have to pay for housekeeping (!!!!) and for internet connection. The rooms in the main building are fine but the economic ones are facing the parking and are very very small

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 12, 2010

While traveling through an area of Alaska that I have not seen (I was raised in Ketchikan) My partner and I were directed by family and friends to go see Homer, and one suggested Land's End Hotel. Not only did the weather break for us and allow us to see the absolutely spellbinding landscape, but we were met with knowledgeable and friendly staff. We sat on the deck of the restaurant while waiting for our room, and greatly enjoyed the boat traffic, the sea life (many otters) and attention of our server. Food was great. We entered our room and found that the quality for the money was incredible. We spent the better part of the evening on the balcony enjoying the romantic sunset. Thank you so much for a wonderful memory!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2010

This is the place to stay in Homer. You have to drive through the cheap looking Spit buisnesses to get here, but the views from the rooms are beyond comparison. My wife sat for hours watching the sea otters play 50 yards from our large bay window with the ocean and mountains as their background. It's not luxury, nor will you find the rooms with modern anything, but you'll spend your entire waking hours looking out of your room. They have a small, old, TV located on a shelf about 8 feet above the ground, but with the scene out the window who cares!

We also had a very nice meal at the restaurant in the hotel, and we highly recommend it. The beds are also very comfortable, and the bathroom, while basic, get's the job done.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We stayed in the newer section of this resort, and couldn't be happier with our stay. First of all, the hotel was located on the very end of the Homer Spit with views of the playful otters and soaring eagles. Second, the people who worked at the main desk were extremely helpful and courteous. They answered the many questions I had not only the hotel, but about the activities we should do in the area as well. Third, the rooms were comfortable and very clean. The hotel had a nautical feel to it, and seemed very fitting to the Homer Spit community. The decor told stories about the history of this place, and also displayed the pictures of a talented local boy who captured the unique features of the Alaskan wildlife in a childlike and creative manner. He has obviously overcome his handicaps and has a great talent to celebrate. This resort made our stay in Homer absolutely PERFECT!! If you are looking for a relaxing retreat in an amazing setting, this is the place for you. Bring your fishing pole too, since there were many people lined up on the shore outside the restaurant catching fish after fish! ENJOY!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
EOSHomer, Manager at Land's End Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2010

Thank you for choosing Land’s End resort. We have been aggressively seeking customer feedback and have made great strides in improving our product and customer service based on our customer’s recommendations. We appreciate hearing it has been noticed.
Please come back and enjoy Land’s End and Homer again soon.

Reviewed August 3, 2010

This hotel has a great location being at the very end of the spit. The hotel is older and could be remodeled. It is all about the views from the rooms. In the summer with the longer hours of day light, multiple windows and the small balconies are great views. The rooms are clean but not all the electrical outlets worked.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2010

I recently stayed at this property and had a view room which was nice, however, I was on the first floor and all evening and early in the morning I could hear the kids above us run up and down the room and you could also hear lots of dropping noises (maybe suitcases). I couldn't sleep either night I was there-due to my Mom's knee injury we had to stay on the first floor, otherwise I would not have. Take my advice-if you stay here, don't stay on the first floor. I agree with lobby staff, they act like they couldn't care less about the guests.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank proftravlr
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Let me start off by saying that I am an Alaska resident and I used to live in Homer. This past weekend we attended the wedding of some very good friends of ours. The reception was held at Land's End. Even though I have family in town, my partner and I decided to get a room for Friday and Saturday night. Booking the room back In April was the beginning of the bad experiences. The bride's family had reserved a block of rooms for the guests. There was supposed to be a 10% discount off of the normal price of the room. When I called to reserve our room, the girl that answered had no clue about the wedding. I had to wait two days for them to verify that we were supposed to get a discount. Fast foreward to this past weekend. Check in is at 4pm. The wedding rehersal was was also at 4pm on Friday. I talked to the front desk Thursday and was told I could check in early if the room was available. I went down to the hotel at noon on Friday (check out is at noon) and was told that they were cleaning the room. The girl took my phone number and told me that she would call as soon as it was ready. Two hours later, I went back and was told that they were still cleaning. I asked that they please call housekeeping to see when it would be done. I was told by the girl "They don't like it when we rush them." I explained to her again that we had to be to the church by 4. She then said to me "It'll be done when it's done." Not the answer I was looking for. It was finally ready at 3:15. During the planning of the reception, we told the General Manager that we wanted to use our Jäeger machine at the reception. He said we could, but that we had to purchase the Jäeger from the hotel. We were ok with that until we got to the reception and found out that we had to purchase it for $8 a shot, or a Jäeger-Redbull for $10.50. This is rediculous, as a bottle only costs $21. At dinner, the day after the reception, the waitress was quite rude and short with us. She didn't get a tip from me. Upon checking out, the bride's family was given a bill that was $1400 over what they were quoted when they booked the wedding. They were told that $800 of the extra expense was because the wine and beer at the reception (which was free to guests) was left out of the complete quote they signed. The other $600 was for cleaning of the reception hall carpet. They said we spilled liquor on the carpet, even though the carpet was dingey and severly stained before we got there. (This was pointed out to, and noted by the staff at the front desk before we set up for the reception) It is unfortunate that the staff of this hotel is so rude, unpleasant, and unprofessional because the setting and the property are so beautiful. If you've read any of the managements replies to some of the other comments on here, their lack of professionalism is clear. They seem to think people posting on here are employees of their competition. That is not the case here. I am just a local Alaskan who has experienced their bad service first hand. I have tried calling management to talk to them, but they have yet to call me back. Do yourself a favor, if you are planning a wedding or just a stay in Homer, shop around. Just because Land's End is the most well known hotel in Homer, doesn't mean it's the best. The way they come across to me is that they don't mind treating one customer poorly, because there will always be an uninformed sucker coming to stay here next time...

5  Thank FLguyinAK
EOSHomer, Manager at Land's End Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2010

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We wanted to respond to your review so that you know we value your opinion and so that you might better understand the details surrounding the events.

First of all, we apologize that it took two days to verify and process the 10% room discount on your reservation for the wedding. We understand how that could have been a frustrating experience.

Secondly, management met directly with the wedding party upon their departure to present the billing for the event. At that time it was found that the bill was $400 over what was quoted, not $1,400 as you mentioned. We immediately investigated the issue and fixed the billing error before the wedding party departed. We always take full responsibility for our errors and have a policy of always reviewing billings with our guests before departure to make sure that everything is correct. Management did have to assess the wedding party a $150 cleaning fee, not $600 as you stated, for some extra cleaning we had to do after the reception. The wedding party thanked us for getting the billing errors corrected, agreed to the cleaning fee, and told us of how much fun they had had here with the wedding. They are long-time guests and we are guessing that they always stay with us because they must really enjoy Land’s End and the service we provide them. We appreciate their business and loyalty, and hope to be able to serve them the next time they have an event in Homer.

As far as the personal complaints you had about our 4PM check-in time and liquor pricing, we are very sorry to disappoint you. The 4PM check-in time is a policy that is stated at the time of booking a room at our hotel and is e-mailed to all guests in their confirmation letter. The reason for the 4PM check-in time is that we have a 12PM check-out time, which means that our hard-working housekeeping staff only has about 4 hours to clean the entire hotel each day (over 300 beds and 120 bathrooms). To complicate matters further we are a very unique resort that has a vast variety of different room types and bedding configurations (over 40 different types). We aren’t like a cookie-cutter hotel that just has two or three different room types, which allows them to just plug guests as they arrive into any room as they are cleaned because all rooms are the same. Each of our guests has been promised a certain room type and so we have to wait until that room type is cleaned before we can check-in a guest to their clean room. The fact that we were able to expedite the service and get you checked in 45 minutes earlier than what our normal policy states should show you that we care about trying to do everything possible to accommodate our guests.

Our liquor prices are competitive with vendors of like quality and service in the surrounding area. We are a for-profit business and so we do charge a mark-up on all products we sell. Government regulations do require that we only serve food and drink that is provided by ourselves or another DEC approved food and beverage vendor. I’m sorry we cannot allow guests to bring in their own food or drink for distribution.

Once again we are sorry to have disappointed you and would love the chance to talk with you directly to make any amends possible. We are completely unaware of any attempt to contact us or request to be contacted, and for that we apologize. We assure you that it is not because we don’t care about your opinion, but must merely be a communication that got lost in its transmission. It is always our intention to provide each of our guests with the best stay possible. Please contact us directly at (907) 235-0410.