“Not what I expected. Views are the only nice thing about this place.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Land's End Resort

Land's End Resort
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Homer
“Not what I expected. Views are the only nice thing about this place.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2010

I made the trip with my 9yr old daughter for a long weekend of fun. We started off in Seward and then went over to Homer, hoping to see the sights and get some pictures of the Eagles we heard so much about. I tried to call the hotel to let them know I would be about 5 hrs late with check in however could not get through, when I finally made it and mentioned it to the front desk the lady said "Yeah our phones are down". Then she gave me my keys and that's about it, no information about where the restaurant was or which way the room was..pretty much not very helpful. Well the hotel room smelled and looked like a dingy old hotel room. The bathroom is very small and if you are a large person you are not getting the door shut without stepping into the tub first, shutting the door and then out of the tub again. The spa/pool/fitness room is a joke. It's a therapy pool not for kids/adults to really swim in. The hot tub is well let's just say I didn't go in. The sauna was ok. The fitness equipment..1 treadmill and 1 bike..that's it! The room smelled and looked in need of repair. The restaurant was pricy and food was not very good, in fact I got sick from the Tempura Halibut and waitress was hard to find even though there were only 3 other tables in the whole place with people!...Staff not helpful with booking any extra activities or offering advice on where to go. The views were amazing!!! We walked along the beach collecting shells and rocks. We did see a few Eagles but not as many as everyone has said..and you wait for them...since the Eagle Lady has passed the Eagles are not visiting as much anymore..anyway...for single people or couples wanting to fish or get drunk..this is the area for you..not a family oriented place at all and will not return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank kmp66
EOSHomer, Manager at Land's End Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2010
Thank you for your comments. Your feedback is very important to us. At Land’s End Resort we do our very best to ensure that our guests be given the utmost satisfaction in customer service, accommodations, and overall experience.
Land’s End Resort is a family owned & operated business since 1958. It has undergone various phases of extensive development since then. We sincerely apologize that the room style you were in did not meet your expectations or requirements. We have a variety of room styles which are all outlined & described with photos and virtual tours online.

We are proud to offer a “lap” pool, sauna, outdoor hot tub, & exercise equipment to our guests. They are extra amenities for guests to utilize at their leisure. These amenities are popular with our guests.

The Chart Room Restaurant has a long reputation of providing excellent views, fine dining, and customer satisfaction. It is our highest priority that our guests are pleased with our establishment. Thank you for your constructive criticism which we seek as we are constantly striving to improve our service.

We are sorry that you did not find our front desk staff as helpful as they usually are. During this time of year we are in the process of training extra new staff to prepare for the busy summer season. We appreciate your patience and understanding while we are in the process of preparing for our peak season and training our newly added personnel to deliver the high quality customer service that we are typically known for.

We are especially happy that you enjoyed the breathtaking views! We are truly in a beautiful and convenient location. Walking the beach is an activity we highly recommend to our guests because of the abundance in sea/wild life, easy accessibility to charters, excursions, shopping and dining.

Thank you for staying with us at Land’s End Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Anchorage Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2010

Just got back from a wonderful weekend at Land's End and loved every minute of it. Our room was just as we requested; a two room suite. My 5 year old loved the "murphy" bed and we appreciated the comfy beds and extra pillows and blankets. The staff at the hotel is very friendly and helpful. We were a bit early checking in and had no problems. My family loves staying at Land's End.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank FrozenAlaskans
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2010

We always stay at the Land's End when we visit Homer. After reading other reviews about the rooms being small, etc. I can say that if you visit the Land's End hoping for something like a Sheraton or the Hilton then yes, the rooms will seem small. We LOVE how quaint the hotel feels. We love the ship feeling of the rooms and the proximity to the beach. The food and drinks are delicious and the service is always top notch. Last time we stayed we even ran into my parents unexpectedly who always choose Land's End as well. Try the halibut, it is always fresh and I don't even like fish...but will order it every time here as it is so good. Nothing compares to waking up at the Land's End and going out to the beach to watch the sunrise.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jjcocopuff
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2010

This is really just a 2 star hotel, so try not to expect too much of the room and facilities. Before I booked this place, I had already read some not so good reviews of this hotel, but also that the views were incredible.

The check in went pretty smoothly, although the staff could do better to be more hospitable and professional. They seemed irritated if you asked questions or if you asked the front desk about tours/bike rental when the tour desk was not staffed. As with every business, there were some really nice staff members there too, but overall, not the most pleasant experience.

I had a room with the bay view. Room size was alright, not spacious but I could deal with that. The layout of the room made me feel like I was living on a ship. Amenities were simple, generally clean and comfortable. The fan however would not go off as the timer switch was faulty. I had to shut the bathroom door so the noise from the fan would not keep me up at night. Maintenance came by quite promptly to try to fix it but couldn't. The bathtub also took a long time to drain even though I just took showers.

TV was small and placed on top of the wardrobe so it was hard to watch, plus the reception wasn't good, but considering the location of the hotel, I don't think it could be helped. Anyway one would be so captivated by the view outside to pay much attention to the TV. I liked that they had free internet connection and as far as I'm concerned, the connection was good.

The restaurant on site was disappointing though. I only tried their breakfast which had cooled considerably by the time I was served, and even though I chose the sourdough bread, what was served seemed more like ordinary bread to me unlike those I've tried elsewhere in Alaska. Hopefully it was just that the kitchen got the order wrong.

The bus service from Anchorage will bring you right to Land's End, but if you're not driving you'll need to find alternatives like the taxi, or rent a bicycle to get around Homer. Even for a small town, both are expensive options. The taxis there are mostly quite dirty and takes quite awhile to get to the end of the spit. Renting a bike from downtown Homer might not be a convenient option although it's somewhat cheaper to do so. I rented mine from the hotel. It's a very nice ride along the spit.

It's a beautiful view outside to wake up to. Otherwise not the best value for your money.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank S C
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

I'm not sure why this place gets such great reviews b/c our stay was less than average. The rooms resemble that of a dingy old motel, the views are ok, and the location is miserable - -unless you like tourist traps. In truth, Homer was the low-point of our two weeks in Alaska. We spent the first 10 days exploring the Kenai peninsula out of Seward, which was scenic, uncrowded, and natural. Homer was crowded, dirty and too touristy.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank WPS-76
Eagle River, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2009

We went here for our honeymoon - and it was great to get a room with a view of the water. The spit is a bit trashy, but the hotel is far enough away to be peaceful.

Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HeatherRobertson
Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2009

We stayed at one of the condos right by the beach. What a great place to stay it was very big and roomy. There were four adults.
The condo was first class to say the least. You could lay in bed and see the bay from any bedroom. The staff where very friendy and helpful. I would stay there again. It is a little pricey, but isn't everything in Alaska. Bottom Line: Great Place

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends