“My favorite place to stay in Homer”
Review of Land's End Resort

Land's End Resort
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Homer
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I love staying here- great views (with the right room), great location, and the staff have always been friendly. I love that you can walk right out of the hotel and onto the beach. On bad weather days the coffee and views are still great. Rooms are a little outdated but good for Alaska. Without the location, the rooms would probably be a 3 star for me but they have always been clean. Nice attached spa for packages, family suites available, and a good restaurant.

Room Tip: The oceanview rooms cost a little more but are worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Land's End Resort

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I just finished a two night stay and it was wonderful.

We had a room on the second floor with a balcony overlooking the water. We kept a window open so we could hear waves on the shore. The views were spectacular! Mountains, Orcas and Otters came past us. What a delight.

The room was large with a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. It had lots of nooks and crannies to store our luggage for a 3 week trip.

Before you stay in this hotel, remember this is Alaska and the bar is set a little lower here. The hotel could use some freshening up and is a little expensive. In Alaska, gasoline is $.50 more expensive per gallon than where we live and most things cost more in Alaska than in the lower 48 for obvious reasons.

The staff was very nice and helpful every time we needed anything.

If you are going to be in Homer, give Land's End a try.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

This is a review based on our stay in the one-bedroom condominium rental room. The hotel was full, so we chose to stay in the one-beroom vacation rental at $250 per night. The room was large, with cable TV and free Wi-Fi. The matress was soft and linens were nothing special. Bathroom and towels OK. The one-bedroom condo units have an ocean view, but it is limited because the porch to the upper-level condo doesn't let you see the sky. Moreover, the ceiling height in the room is quite low--at 5'11" I had no trouble touching the ceiling with my fingers.
Parking is right outside the door, and the room is at ground level.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed at Land's End Resort one night in late June 2012. Like a lot of places in Alaska at the Land's End Resort you will get a basic room, with great views at a pretty high price (over $200/night).

The hotel is located at the very end of the Homer Spit (if you drive any further you will be in the water). To us it was a great but somewhat quirky location with the Ferry Terminal and some industrial buildings between the hotel and the rest of the tourist area on the spit. The hotel lobby, rooms and halls were clean, but old. The room seemed like chain hotel rooms from the 80's. We chose a room with a beach and ocean view, which was great. Most rooms face the bay, but they offer many different types of rooms so be sure to check when reserving to make sure you get the room you think you are getting. Access to the second floor was a bit odd, the elevator being clear at one end of the building which will mean some walking if you have a lot of luggage. The staff we met was friendly, although not dressed professionally. The hotel had a family run feel although I'm not sure of the ownership etc.

The view from our bayside 2nd floor room was excellent. We could sit in the room or the very very small deck and watch sea otters swimming in the bay as well as viewing the mountains on the other side. We also enjoyed watching the fishing boats coming and going. We did not see any whales, but talking with people, people have at times. The hotel also offers great beach access. We took a nice long walk on the beach. Great Views.

At The Land's End Resort you are paying for the location of the hotel, not the quality of the building or rooms. From my experience rooms of the quality of the Land's End if located without the view in the lower 48 would fetch less than $100 a night, but with this view and location they can charge over $200 and keep the place pretty full!

In summary for us the view and location warrant the price and we would stay here again. Some people may feel it is over priced however if they are looking for modern high-end room amenities.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are a must. 2nd Floor rooms will not have the deck from the room above blocking th...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PzTravel
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The resort is at the end of the Homer spit, which is lined with mostly RV's and vehicles. Our double bed room was small and would be considered dated by some, but I thought it was carefully arranged with built-ins to give it a nautical theme. Up to four people could sleep in the room, which could save money for a small family. The room was clean and there were plenty of shelves for suitcases and toiletries. Although our room was a wing off the lobby, it was quiet for my two nights and I am light sleeper.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I enjoyed my stay here to a point, and that point revolved around price and value for money. Yes, it was the high season and it is Homer and I understand I'm paying for the great location and the high season. However, I don't like paying $220 a night to experience the following:
1. Dismissive service from the front desk.
2. Housekeeping that wasn't - Bed wasn't made each day, it was simply pulled up. My bathroom was completely ignored on one day.
3. Being able to hear toilets being flushed from other rooms and hearing people walking around in the room above me.

That being said I did like the following:
1. Wonderful view, sea otters playing in the sea outside my room, dolphins and birds fishing.
2. Location, it's a short 5 minute walk the boardwalk
3. Beds were comfortable and my room was spacious.

I didn't eat in the restaurant or use the spa service.

It was a good stay, it was just a bit overpriced. I don't know that I'd stay here again considering a lot of the boardwalk shops have apartments above them for rent.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed in one of Lands End "lodge beachfront rooms" for 3 nights on July 10 - 13th. My travel agent had booked room 613, and it had been given away to someone else. Upon arrival at Lands End a incredibly arrogant clerk advised us that the "Discovery Channel" had room 613 and we'd have to stay in a different room, which we found to have a poorer view and a bed unsuitabale for someone tall. The reverence this man had for the Discovery Channel was apparent, and the fact that they were in a room promised to us wasn't even a consideration. In addition the lodge rooms have no maid service, and you have to go to a separate building to get fresh towels. When speaking to the young man at the front desk I inquired if there were any vacancies for the larger condo units, and for a price on them. I wasn't even given a price, but told "twice as much" in a insulting fashion. Clearly doing a little work such as booking a different room for a customer is something Lands End staff believes isn't in their job description. While there are many accomodating, friendly and service oriented businesses in Alaska, Lands End is not one of them. Apparently Lands End believes their location at the end of the Homer Spit will ensure high occupancy rates and being civil to customers & providing what was promised isn't really necessary. There are many nice hotels & vacation rentals in Homer, one of which will receive my business on my next trip to Alaska. As other reviewers have indicated, there is no real attempt at customer service here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple