“Bear Viewing Dream Come True”

Emerald Air Service, Inc.
Ranked #5 of 53 Tours in Homer
More attraction details
Owner description: Please join us for the bear viewing trip of a lifetime. Find yourself in pristine, remote areas where you are not limited to paved trails or platforms--where you are away from the crowds. Fly in our deHavilland Beaver on floats across Cook Inlet to Katmai--bear country--and spend a full day watching thse magnificent creatures. An unforgettable experience.
Louisville, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Bear Viewing Dream Come True”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

My family (myself, husband and son) enjoyed the flight to Katmai National Park the last week of August, 2013. My husband is an amputee (left knee disarticulation). Thanks to Craig and Sarah and the froggers they provided, he was able to embark and disembark the plane without any incident to himself or his prosthetic limb. This was an experience of a lifetime! After a quarter of a mile hike to the edge of a cliff, we saw a huge mother bear and her three cubs, all of which waddled 25 feet under my feet as I sat and dangled my legs over the cliff to view the river below. There were two bears squabbling over the same salmon, which was more of a verbal fight than physical and their roars were so loud. A fox played just a few feet away from my family. Her beautiful eyes seemed to be more yellow than brown. There was an odd sound coming from nearby and upon investigation, we saw Alaska's state bird, the Ptarmigan. As you focus on the river, you will be awestruck by the intense ruby red color of the salmon that were scurrying around everywhere. This site was truly was a bear's smorgasboard. The bears couldn't have cared less about our human appearance; I even saw gentlemen fishing within a few feet of the bears and at times, I had to catch my breath as it seemed a bear was at a dead run going straight for the fisherman. It was actually chasing its prized salmon!!! I can't say enough positive things about Emerald Air Service. They ROCK!!!!!!!

• Polish first
Iowa
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Complete confidence in Emerald Air”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

After reading many, many reviews on Tripadvisor, I chose to have my two teenage children fly with Craig and Sarah for bear viewing in Katmai NP last summer. Upon meeting these two the morning of the trip, I had complete confidence my children would be in safe hands. My husband and I enjoyed a relaxing day exploring Homer. The kids returned with wonderful memories and photos of the beautiful scenery on the flights and the bear watching. My only regret is that the end of June probably was not the prime time to do this. They only saw grown bears hanging out or digging for clams--no bear cubs or salmon fishing. Still, it was definitely the experience of a lifetime!

Visited July 2013
Bella Vista, Arkansas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Emeral Air Service Bear Viewing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

My wife and I spent a day with Craig and Sarah in the Funnel Creek/Morraine Creek area just two weeks ago, but seems like yesterday. The sights, smells, and sounds are still right there. Fantastic trip over and back. Bears were a once in a lifetime experience, and there are no better folks to lead a trip like this, Sarah is a real expert, and having the experience of both of them on this trip was a bonus. Great people, great trip, great bears and memories that will last forever. Thanks to Craig and Sarah for being both passionate about what you do and available when we were planning our trip. Would go see the bears again in a heartbeat, but only with Emerald. Mark and Ronda

Visited September 2013
“One day in Bear Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

This was just breathtaking. Together with Craig and Sarah we flew over Cook Inlet along the volcanoes into Katmai NP. To come that near to the bears was Not expectable. There was no second of fear, because all bears accepted US to be respectful guests in their habitat. We took hundreds of awesome pics and Video sequences with US home. Thanks so much for that day to Emerald.

Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“So glad we chose Emerald Air!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

My friend and I spent a LONG time trying to decide which company to go with, and we made the perfect choice for us with Emerald Air. I wondered if being on a tiny floatplane would make me nervous, but I was completely at ease with Craig as pilot, and with the plane itself. They have the most modern safety and navigation equipment and he has years and years of flying experience. I LOVED the flight! THey are both knowledgeable about the bears and Sarah is a wonderful guide, and we both enjoyed talking to her so much. We never felt nervous around the bears. On the day of our trip, there were quite a few other planes landing on the tiny lake, but our group was the only one that really walked around, across small streams, and along the streams, to see the most bears. Craig and Sarah know where the bears are, and who they are. It's just the trip of a lifetime. When we returned to Homer, even their young son was hospitable - making us each a cup of coffee to warm up a little before we hit the road.

1 Thank VAturtlelvr