“Wonderful Stay With Jon and Karin”

EarthSong Lodge - Denali's Natural Retreat
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Three of us travelled from London, England to hike the length of the Stampede Trail to the Sushana Bus (Into the Wild 'Magic Bus'). Even before we made the trip Jon and Karin had been very helpful in providing info and help via email and phonecalls which made booking and planing our trip so much easier.

We were warmly greeted on our arival to Earthsong Lodge, Jon and Karin could not have been more helpfull all the way through our stay, even providing us with bear spray and a machette to ward off the wild animals along our hike.

We loved our cabin (One of the three room cabins overlooking the mountains) so much that we stayed for two days longer than planned, just so we could sit out on the deck, drink some beer and enjoy the absolute tranquility and stunning view.

We are planning a return journey in 2014 and are very much looking forward to staying at Earthsong again, I cant wait to go back, everyone should experience the hospitality offered by the owners and the sheer beauty of the location.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Nice cabin all to myself. Beautiful area. Owners were extremely kind and accommodating. The attached coffee shot/restaurant was surprisingly good. Enjoyed the evening slide show. Didn't have time to visit the dogs, but would have enjoyed that too. Also did not realize until I'd left that Stampede trail is where "Into The Wild" takes place...adds an eeriness to it...but I'd definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank noname212
Reviewed September 27, 2012

After reading many reviews we decided to stay here Sept 9-13. It was our first stop after a long drive from Anchorage. EarthSong is an incredible find off the beaten path. My wife and I were extremely happy with the surrounding area. The cabins are well kept, clean, warm, and what you would expect when thinking of Alaska. Jon is an excellent and understanding host. We stayed in the coastal cabin which had more than enough room for the two of us and all our travel and hiking gear. We ate at the coffee house which had great food. Jon even accomodated my wife's dietery needs. He understood what was needed and made us feel comfortable. His knowledge of Alaska and the National Park was like having a personal guide with us. He gave us ideas on what to do and where to hike in the park. Having his own dog sled team was special and the dogs were nice to listen to at night, not at all a problem. The views of the Alaskan range are by far a great front porch. We are already planning on returning and staying with Jon. There is no better place.

Room Tip: Added tip: give yourself a little extra time if you have an early bus trip into the park. especially...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Patrick A
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We arrived at Earthsong Lodge a little earlier than check-in time, but Jon quickly came to the office and checked us in and advised that our cabin was ready. The place is pretty much exactly how it's depicted on the website and in reviews, but was somehow different from the vision I had. We walked the boardwalk to our cabin, and although we had a family cabin, it was smaller than we expected - although more than adequate for two people. We put our bags and clothes in one room and slept in the other. Had we not had that second bedroom I don't know where we would have put all of our bags. The shower was great and the cabin had pretty much everything we'd need. The first night we were there, we were both suffering from colds and had a hard time getting the place warmed up, but once we did, we were comfortable. It was extremely windy outside, so much that we didn't even want to go out! We did walk over to the coffee house for dinner, each had the spaghetti and meatballs. Was very good, but we thought $16.50 for spaghetti and meatballs might have been a bit overpriced. I realize we're in the middle of nowhere, but still. Enjoyed the slide show that Jon showed that night and had some coffee while watching. We got pack lunches for our Denali Park shuttle day the next day - they were very good, highly recommend. We were gone all day long that day, and then on check-out day we had to leave at 5:30am for an excursion scheduled 4 hours away in Talkeetna. So we didn't get to see the sled dogs or even meet Karin - I think if we had more time (and maybe felt better) we would have appreciated our stay much more. All in all, I'd recommend staying here, defintely beats the glitter gulch!

Room Tip: If you need to spread out or have a lot of baggage like we did, I'd definitely recommend the fam...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ParksRCalling
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We recommend this place to anyone visiting Denali or the surrounding area! The cabins are beautiful, clean and provide a great view. The owners go out of their way to assure your stay is the best in all ways. They also have a great cafe with excellent food. If you want a place that makes you feel at home, is laid back, quiet, beautiful, and provides a unique personal experience, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Linda H
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My girlfriend and I eagerly arrived at Earthsong Lodge Aug 5th, after a night camping in the rain and a long drive, we were not disappointed! Upon check-in we were greeted by Karin, one of the owners. She was very informative and engaging, answering all our questions. The lodge really shows a pride of ownership- it is clean and well kept and the amount of detail that the owners spent on the outward and inward appearance is very evident. The cabin was perfect and we could tell that pride went into the décor. The cabin was clean, as well as the grounds. Henry’s Coffeehouse is right on the grounds and has a ton of Denali flavor to it. Jon, the other owner, greeted us there in a gracious manner. The food was amazing, I had the salmon, my girlfriend had the Panang – it was a surprise to have such a gourmet meal out in such a remote locale! There was a slideshow of Denali life after dinner, we saw a full sled dog team the next day-I could go on and on about the extraordinary experience we had but definitely want to make note that the Karin and Jon made the experience we had amazing . We will return!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank George S
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed here because of the reviews I read on Trip Advisor. I dont know what happened but the lady that ran the place, Karen was rude to me and seemed to be annoyed with my questions. She did not like the fact that I knocked in her door mid morning asking her for clean towels. She basically told me to come back because she was busy at the time. I wanted to shower and did not have any clean towels and had to wait over 45 minutes for her to bring me a new towel. the cabins are clean and the views are great. If it wasnt for her rude manners, i would have rated this place better. Maybe the lady was having a bad day.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Robert H
earthsonglodge, Owner at EarthSong Lodge - Denali's Natural Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

I don't know the specific details from the incident that seems to have ruined Robert H.'s visit our EarthSong, but there are some items in his review that don't seem to make much sense. All of us at times have "bad days", but Karin and I as owners of a lodge focused on individual service do our best not to have those "days" impact our guests' visit. Assuming that the basic thread of the problem is true, that Robert needed clean towels in the morning, I find it extremely hard to believe that he was kept waiting for 45 minutes. We have housekeeping staff on duty every morning, and if Karin was unable to accommodate the guest's needs, she would not hesitate to call the staff and have them help out. What may have seemed like 45 minutes likely was much less, but may have seemed longer to Robert. I don't know why he would have needed new towels in the morning...if he checked in the night before, the towels are clean. Each cabin has at least one extra set of towels, often two or more extra sets. Needing towels in the morning is unusual, but even so...he would have been helped much faster than 45 minutes time. I tend to think that Robert may have been having the bad day instead of my wife. Even so, I'm sorry that one incident ruined what he admits was a good place to visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Healy
Denali Park Hotel
Motel Nord Haven Aurora Denali Lodge
McKinley Creekside Cabins
McKinley Creekside Cabins
#1 of 5 in McKinley Village

Been to EarthSong Lodge - Denali's Natural Retreat? Share your experiences!