“Not a good experience”

EarthSong Lodge - Denali's Natural Retreat
Detroit, Michigan
“Not a good experience”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed here because of the reviews I read on Trip Advisor. I dont know what happened but the lady that ran the place, Karen was rude to me and seemed to be annoyed with my questions. She did not like the fact that I knocked in her door mid morning asking her for clean towels. She basically told me to come back because she was busy at the time. I wanted to shower and did not have any clean towels and had to wait over 45 minutes for her to bring me a new towel. the cabins are clean and the views are great. If it wasnt for her rude manners, i would have rated this place better. Maybe the lady was having a bad day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Robert H
earthsonglodge, Owner at EarthSong Lodge - Denali's Natural Retreat, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
I don't know the specific details from the incident that seems to have ruined Robert H.'s visit our EarthSong, but there are some items in his review that don't seem to make much sense. All of us at times have "bad days", but Karin and I as owners of a lodge focused on individual service do our best not to have those "days" impact our guests' visit. Assuming that the basic thread of the problem is true, that Robert needed clean towels in the morning, I find it extremely hard to believe that he was kept waiting for 45 minutes. We have housekeeping staff on duty every morning, and if Karin was unable to accommodate the guest's needs, she would not hesitate to call the staff and have them help out. What may have seemed like 45 minutes likely was much less, but may have seemed longer to Robert. I don't know why he would have needed new towels in the morning...if he checked in the night before, the towels are clean. Each cabin has at least one extra set of towels, often two or more extra sets. Needing towels in the morning is unusual, but even so...he would have been helped much faster than 45 minutes time. I tend to think that Robert may have been having the bad day instead of my wife. Even so, I'm sorry that one incident ruined what he admits was a good place to visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed in one of the log cabins built by Jon and Karen, moderate size but very comfortable with everything you need for a pleasant stay. Jon provided a very interesting slide show, and was a most congenial and informative host. Delicious dinner at Henry's coffee house on-site. Convenient to Denali National Park.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Virginia-8P
Katy, Texas
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My hubby and I just stayed at Earthsong August 22nd & 23rd. We both feel REJUVINATED! First off John & Karin are just Kindred Spirits, being with them you just fell well at home. They both are so kind & have such a great knowledge of Denali. I loved how they shared their love of Alaska. When I booked our reservations Jon gave me a lot of tips on how best to enjoy & see Denali, none of this had anything to do at all with Earthsong, I took all of his advice & was so happy I did.

The cabins are so warm, beautiful & cozy. The landscaping & interior decorating you could tell were done with much love & attention to detail. I read someone say they were small. They were cozy, my husband & I felt VERY comfortable in them. We really loved it. We had a incredible view in number 10.

Food was YUMMY & cooked to order. We had even asked for a packed lunch the night before for our long day in Denali, it was ready & waiting for us the next morning. Also, this was one of the few places we visited in Alaska that actually had internet.

Our vacation is over, & my hubby and I are already talking about the next time we go to the Earthsong. Watch out Jon, Jim is already talking about a future mushing trip!!! LOL BOTTOM LINE visit them you will be happy you did.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EChristina
Jensen Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed at Earthsong Lodge in Healy for two nights in June again based on reviews from Tripadvisor. So happy that we made that choice. What a beautiful, peaceful place to get away after touring in Denali National Park. The cabins were just as described on the website. We stayed in the two bedroom family cabin with four adults. The cabins are on the small side but extremely clean and comfortable. Our first night there we were able to order a boxed lunch for our early morning bus tour the next day. The lunch was packed and in the outdoor refrigerator ready to go when we left at 5:30 a.m. In the evenings we would walk over to Henry's Coffee House order a latte find a comfy couch and enjoy Jon's slideshow. We learned so much from Jon about the area, the tundra, and his beautiful sled dogs. One of my favorite parts was walking out of the cabin, looking at the beautiful tundra/mountain range and listening to the silence. If you are looking for the run of the mill hotel then stay in Denali but if you are looking to enjoy the true Alaskan experience try Earthsong Lodge.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chaser24
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is a lovely/fun place to stay approx 20 minutes drive outside of Denali Nat. Park. It felt like an authentic Alaskan experience, overlooking the beautiful Park range, with the dog sled team on property. Each morning I passed a huge moose and her calf feeding along the road. The property is a grouping of cabins and a main dining/gathering cafe that the owners built themselves. It is rustic in that it is built on a tundra, the cabins are small and modestly furnished, but extremely clean and comfortable. There is internet access in the cafe building and the food is quite good. The best parts of ESL were the details of the property and hospitality of the hosts, Jon and Karen. Jon, Karen and friends built every part of this property. They are clearly master carpenters because the wood working is beautiful, personal and memorable. The grounds are landscaped with flowers, stone art and sweet appointments. The property is earthy, whimsical and special. Jon and Karen are a married couple who own and operate the property. They can hook you up or advise you re: whatever you need. They provide a slide show every night in the cafe and share their world of Alaska with you. There are hotels or what we city folks refer to as "main stream" properties you could stay at closer to the Park, but why go main stream when you come to Alaksa. Alaska's not main stream. Leave that to the lower 48! Enjoy a comfortable and organic taste of Alaska at ESL. Enjoy! J Evans Washington, DC

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Evansje
London, England
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed for three nights at Earthsong and were sad to leave. Our cabin was compact- but with enough room for a large comfy bed, chair, table etc, a nice shower-room, and enough space to keep all our assorted luggage for a 3 week cruise and land holiday. It was full of small touches of hand made decoration. The view of the mountains from the window was beautiful.
We ate in the coffee house on 2 evenings and enjoyed Jon's slide shows of Denali and sled dog expeditions. Packed lunches for days in Denali National park were also available from the coffee house, as well as good coffee. We also enjoyed visiting Jon's dog kennels and learning more about the dogs and dog sledding.
This is a real place to slow down and enjoy the magnificence and peace of Alaska, even if most people are also getting up early for Denali shuttle buses!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Key West, Florida
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We had a group of 10 who were staying for 2 nights at Denali. At first we looked at the traditional lodges, but they seemed a little common and the prices were amazingly high. Then we stumbled upon Earthsong lodge.

WOW.

We booked 4 cabins per the owners recommendation to split up the people and couples appropriately. They are SO cool! CLEAN, log cabins that had all the amenities, comfortable rooms and even free wi-fi at the coffee shop.

They house dogs, so a couple times late at night we heard them howling, it was really neat to listen too. It is a non-smoking property (fortunately we didn't have any smokers with us) so everything smelled clean and fresh. Did I mention how clean everything was? That's a big deal with us.

The surroundings are beautiful and the cabins are really appointed nicely. It's hard to imagine but the owner built them all himself, so every one is a little different and interesting.

There's just one tip I can offer. If you've booked a trip on the buses of Denali, make sure to leave at least 45 minutes before your departure time. It's not far away, but you need to arrive at least 10-15 minutes before or your seats will be given away. Also if you want to eat breakfast at Earthsong, book the Denali bus after 9:00, because they only serve breakfast at Earthsong between 7:00 am and 9:00 am.

Did I mention the price? For our group, it averaged $80 per person, per night. (Keep in mind there were 4 couples and the two singles shared a room/cabin with 2 beds.) We had one friend who stayed at the big commercial lodge and his room was dank, depressing and $380 per night. We stayed in bright, comfortable log cabins!

Room Tip: If you have a larger group, tell the owner the mix of singles and couples so he can best suggest the...