“Don't you just love when a place exceeds your expectations?”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Healy
Healy Heights Family Cabins
Atlanta, Georgia
“Don't you just love when a place exceeds your expectations?”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I'm finally getting around to writing this review of our stay at Healy Heights in July 2011. There were six of us split between two Healy cabins on our trip to Denali. I must admit I was a little unsure about this place. Pictures from their website and other reviews I had read left me with the impression of a well kept but perhaps tired kind of place that still seemed worth taking a chance on. Therefore, I wasn't fully prepared for how spectacular this place actually is, especially considering how reasonable the rates are. To begin with, the cleanliness of the cabins mentioned by other reviewers on this website can't be stressed enough. These cabins are neat as a pin with nothing out of place, It's clear the owners take great pride in making sure the place is kept up to date and fresh throughout. The grounds are beautiful to wander, the views are magnificent and there's a wood-burning sauna built into the side of the mountain. We made full use of the fully stocked kitchen and enjoyed all of our meals right in the cabin. The fact that you can easily cook for 6 people and have everything you need was wonderful. Healy is about a 15 minute drive to the park entrance, just far enough away from the tourist area of Denali to give you a little secluded peace and quiet. On top of all this, the owners are absolutely delightful and accomodating...I would highly recommend this place to anyone staying in the Denali area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We were looking for lodging away from the hubbub in Glitter Gulch and came across Healy Heights because it suited our need for 2 rooms, and the reviews here were very good. I'll add to them because we were not disappointed, but I wouldn't quite call it a 5 rating either.

First off, there isn't much in Healy. 49th State Brewery & Restaurant was well worth the stop, and breakfast at Black Diamond Golf Course was good too, but that is about the limit of commercial Healy other than some dumpy looking hotels along the highway. But you are 10 minutes from the Glitter Gulch and National Park entrance, so it's a convenient stopping off spot that is much quieter. I enjoyed getting up in the mornings and going for a jog on the snow mobile roads.

The cabins are in a secluded hilly area just outside town and we saw moose every night. It is a really pretty spot, and the grounds are nice. The cabins are a great size, with small decks with gas grills, which would have been great if it didn't rain the whole time we were there. But that's Alaska.

We have mixed reviews about the interior of our cabin. It really offered us everything we wanted. They are very roomy, with living area, large kitchen, bathroom, and 2 bedrooms on the lofted 2nd floor. Each room has 2 double beds. We would have liked to see a queen or king in one of the rooms, but there is no way to fit 2 beds if you do that. So as far as the accommodations, I give it 2 thumbs up.

The downside is how dated and used the interior is. You do expect it a bit when you rent a cabin/cottage, but it's probably been 20+ years. There is so much potential in these cabins, but the kitchen, bathroom, furniture, nearly everything just needs an update. Even the linens and carpet were worn. Everything was clean, but just old.

I wouldn't discourage people from staying here. We enjoyed our stay, and we liked how much space there was to stretch out. The cabins really are great for a small group, and if you know what you're getting then you won't be disappointed at all. We'd readily stay again if they were updated, but probably not in their current condition.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ten_Hi
South Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I and my family stayed in Healy Heights Cabins in June when we visited Denali National Park. It was one of the best experience I had for Alaska trip.

The room is huge, and in a very quiet area. It takes about 10 minutes to drive to Denali national Park entrance. It was an ideal location.

The owners are extremely friendly. Marilou and Rod are the nicest people you will meet. I looked at their guest book and I counted people from almost 20 countries had been there.

I highly recommend Healy family cabin. One thing I would like to stress is you have to get some mosqito repelent. There are just so many of them and the entire cabin is in a hilly area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
North of Boston, MA USA
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed at Healy Heights Family Cabins once before and liked it enough to return. We stayed in the Chalet Cabin, which was large enough to comfortably accommodate a family of four. It has a large kitchen, big living room (with a sofabed, which we did not use) and dining area, plus a good-sized bathroom with a tub & shower. Upstairs are two good-sized bedrooms (each with a double & twin bed) and a small loft area. Outside is a large deck with a gas grill. We didn't have internet access, but had Verizon cell phone service from the cabin. The owners, Marylou and Rod are very nice, and do their best to make visitors comfortable. The cabins are about 15 minutes from the entrance to DNP, and the neighborhood is quiet and feels remote.

Room Tip: If you're not sure which cabin will suit you, the owners will email you photos.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Cindy B
Indiana
Reviewed June 15, 2011

I stayed in the Denali area for four days and don't think I could have made a better choice of a place to stay. All I had to go by on making my resv. was web info. Rod talked to me on the phone several times, and sent me pictures of the cabins . Maybe ten minutes away from Glitter Gulch area, so you had your privacy and still close to shoping and restaurant areas. Just down the road from Black Diamond golf course and restaurant and Denali Outdoor Center for Rafting trips, and Otto Lake where you have a beach and swimming area. Beautiful views of the valleys and mountains also. I saw some of the other cabins I was thinking about staying at , and was really glad I made the choice I did. Could not have asked for better accomodations.

Room Tip: I stayed in the North Ridge cabin. Great views.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Templeton, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Healy Heights Cabins provided a clean, quiet, and peaceful cabin for my husband and I on our honeymoon and during our three night stay in the area of Denali National Park. The cabins are away from the business of Denali but close enough that we were only a short drive from our day trips and destinations. We would highly recommend the cabins to anyone looking for a quiet place to stay during their Alaskan adventure.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LPude
Gurnee
Reviewed November 5, 2010

We stayed at the North Ridge Cabin in July 2010. If you are looking for a quiet place to relax after a long day of hiking this is the place for you. The first thing we noticed about the cabin was it is well maintained on both the inside and outside. Also, the cabin was extremely clean! We never ran out of hot water and the shower pressure in the bathroom was good. The attached porch was a bonus and we used it every night. The location of the cabin in proximity to Denali's entrance was perfect distances. It is only a 10 or 12 minute drive and I loved the fact that we were secluded from the touristy hotels and cabins that are close to the Park's entrance. We had an awesome view of the mountains from our cabin and watched some beautiful sunsets. The shades in the cabin worked well and we never had problems sleeping because of the sun setting late and rising early. The staff at Healy Heights Family Cabins are friendly, professional, and they made us feel welcome. We are extremely happy with our experience with Healy Heights Family Cabins. If we ever made it back to Denali, we would definitely want to stay here again.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank songbird01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Healy
Denali Park Hotel
EarthSong Lodge - Denali's Natural Retreat
Motel Nord Haven
Motel Nord Haven
#1 of 4 in Healy

Been to Healy Heights Family Cabins? Share your experiences!