White Moose Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Healy
See available hotels
View Hotel
McKinley Chalet Resort(McKinley Village)
  • Restaurant
Denali Park Village(Denali National Park and Preserve)
  • Restaurant
Crows Nest Cabins(McKinley Village)
View Hotel
Denali Bluffs Hotel(McKinley Village)
View Hotel
Grande Denali Lodge(McKinley Village)
View Hotel
The Perch Resort(McKinley Village)
View Hotel
All reviewspark entranceowner davedenali national parkend of augustrooms are basicno frillsgreat place to staygreat optionbrewing companyplace to sleepcoffee makerparks highwaybrewerystatemotelmicrowavedrive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I made a reservation for the White Moose Lodge over the phone once I was in Alaska. I had seen an ad for it in one of the local tourist mags. When I arrived in the area near the Denali Park entrance I was somewhat confused about which way to go, as one source had listed mile marker 228, but I called the Lodge and he said it was 248. The place is 11 miles north of the park entrance, but this is not a bad drive at all. Most of the places to stay in Mt. McKinley are tour/lodge type places. If you drive north to Healy, you'll find more independently-owned places. I wouldn't call the White Moose a lodge; it's really a log cabin motel, but it's nice. It's off the highway so it's quiet, though walls are pretty thin. It's clean and fairly conveniently located. All you'll get for breakfast is a celophane-wrapped "Danish", so if you need a big breakfast you'll have to go elsewhere. Several hours after I checked out, I got a call from the manager who said I had left my laptop mouse in the room. By then I was in Wasilla, so he offered to mail it to me in Kansas. I just got it in the mail today. I thought that was nice. I would stay here again. It might be a bit over-priced but that's Alaska. I was traveling by myself, so I think my room was a bit over $100 a night. This was more than the price advertised in the ad I had seen, and I tried to talk him down, but he wouldn't budge. He said that price was for the "shoulder" season, whatever that is. My sister is going to Alaska later this month, and I did recommend this place to her.

Room Tip: The hotel is arranged perpendicular to the road, so I'd ask for one further back.. Even so, it's well off the road, pretty quiet, and there is nothing in front of the hotel so there is a chance to see some wildlife.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Lyn S
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The place had everything we needed after camping in Denali. It looked well cared for with flowers all around. The welcome was warm and the rooms clean and simple with decent beds. At $105 plus tax the price was ok by Alaskan standards especially given the location.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Highlands332
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Pros:
- Suitable for budget travelers: room rate less than 100$/night near Denali National Park is a deal. There is only other place in this price range in Healy. Healy is about 10 miles north of Denali NP, I believe. Much cheaper than hotels/lodges in front of NP. This place has bathroom attached to each room with separate setellite receiver as well.
- Very quiet with wild life viewing in front of your room compared to noisy stay just outside the park. Friendly staff.
- Nice to have a few donuts, coffee for free before starting your day in wilderness.

Thing could improve:
- More option for eating. Other budget competitor to this place is offering hot food for a price. Wilderness advantures in Denali NP is more tiresome than I anticipated. Even, half day trip on park buses and a few hiking is draining a lot of energy (? high altitude factor). Travelers will be covered with dirt and simple, hot food will make a huge difference. Since every place is offering greasy burgers, steak etc, you will not need a super chef to compete.

Tips for the stay:
- Get something to eat at the strip mall just outside the NP before heading to your lodge. Don't think Healy as a small town, every place is isolated in different forest/bushes and I did not bother to find restaurants there. Suprisingly, I was able to find this place with limited address like "mile post 248" on highway. No sunset even after midnight in summer and so you will have no problem finding the lodge.
- Be aware of state bird of Alaska -- "mosquitoes." I did not notice them in NP but they won't let me enjoy solitude outside the lodge. They are big, super aggressive and are in large numbers. I had fierce fights with them before going into my room. They won't let you go until they are dead. Prepare to use rain coat or something to fight back before going into your room. If you bring mosquito repellant, you are a genius in Alaska.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank bigboy61455
Reviewed December 23, 2011

It's very AWESOME!!! to stay here. We had great experienced here,That's MOOSE came to visit us here. THAT'S GREAT!!!!!!

Room Tip: Every room can see mountain view and have car park front of every room
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank KhonKaenTukky
Reviewed September 1, 2011

My wife and have have stayed at the White Moose several times over the years on our trips to Alaska. It's nothing fancy, but it's very convenient to Denali and the price is pretty good compared to the prices closer to the park. I think it's a bonus not to be so close to the resort city strip mall area closer to the park. Quieter - more out in the wilderness, which is the point of going to Alaska in the first place.

The rooms are exactly as advertised. They are roomy enough and the shower works great with plenty of hot water. The rooms are always very clean - that's my #1 priority - and they meet my requirements in that area. They've added satellite television since the last time we were there. The beds are comfortable and the heat works great. Until you're in Alaska, you don't think much about the need for heat in a cabin in August.

There's juice, coffee, hot water and danish for breakfast. We had cereal and some other things that we brought, so we had a picnic breakfast on the picnic tables at the place. Hard to beat that.

We've found the owner and staff of one to be very friendly and helpful. We don't bother looking at other places in this area anymore. We just stay here. A nice place and a good value.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple