“Only cheap option for food in the area.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Totem Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Healy
Totem Inn
Ranked #6 of 8 Healy B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Only cheap option for food in the area.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

My friend and I were there for 2 meals last week. Nothing much opened for business before mid-may in Healy and Denali so Totem was our only option for quick food. We had pizza and breakfast like benedict and harsh brown. It was ok. The diner and pub deco are definitely out dated but it's a local hangout pub so don't expect too much just enjoy it!!! The location is a plus right on Parks highway and right beside a gas station.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

Overall the room was decent but the service from the employees was definitely unsatisfactory. I feel we were stereotyped for being in our early 20's and treated like we were trying to rip them off. We were accused of trying to pay for one person in a room when we had 4 but that wasn't the case at all. Considering the money we spent on the room and food, it's extremely upsetting. I'm not sure if I will come to this hotel again in the future. Even at the cafe we weren't treated with the respect a paying customer should be. The wind pulled the entrance door closed and the waitress came out and reprimanded us saying we were having an argument when that wasn't the case at all. We were told other customers were complaining when we were the only ones in the cafe. That's extremely frustrating considering when we checked in she was on the phone with someone yelling at them in Russian around 12am. I like to give people the benefit of doubt but this time was unacceptable. Not sure if we will be coming back for a nice get away due to the uncomfortable stress and hostility that we were given. If you want a nice get away that's stress free and comfortable, I'd probably look elsewhere for lodging. Maybe if you're older you will receive better service. The choice is yours.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank cchilson
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed there for 1 night before going to Denali, I arrived around 9pm and took their last room. I did not dare take my shoes off; the bathroom floor looks like they do not clean along the perimeter (up to 1 ft from the wall), the shower curtain was dirty and overall I was worried about what I would leave the hotel with,

In their restaurant I was told by a local to only eat the pizza as the rest of their food was not good. I tried the pizza and it was mediocre at best. The servers were more interested in each other and joking around than providing any level of service.

When I went to check out in the morning I wanted to bring my concerns to someone's attention but there was no one to be found.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Peachtree City, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed at the Totem Inn 2 nights and they were like night and day. The first night was one of the worst nights I've spent at a hotel with the rating of 1 or less and I've stayed in a lot of hotels. This room rates below some of the rooms I've stayed in 3rd world countries with the noise. And yes, I had earplugs with me which didn't help with the base that kept banging well into the wee hours of the morning. We arrived around 9:30pm on a Saturday night and were given a room in the front nearest the restaurant-bar. I figured that since we were probably the last to arrive we understandably got the worst room. Early the next morning 5am when I requested another room I realized that there was a really nice room at the back of the hotel that was vacant which we should have been given. Instead the room we were given the first night was horrible. The beds very uncomfortable, the shower curtain reeked of mildew and had not been washed possibly ever. The loud music played until well after 2pm!!! A terrible combination as we had to get up @ 5am to be @ Denali NP for an early bus tour. When I found out that I could have had a much nicer, cleaner, more comfortable and definitely quieter room I was not happy. To add insult to injury the front desk admitted that they knew there was a noise problem with the front room but they gave it to me anyway - very poor management. Thank goodness for the night manager who helped us change rooms before we had to leave for our 6:30am bus tour. He was very understanding and helpful.

Now for the complete opposite review. We changed rooms @ 5am on the 2nd day to a vacant room in the back. The room was cleaner, the shower curtain had recently been washed so there was no mildew smell, the beds were very comfortable and on a Sunday night there was no noise. Bottom line, had I been given this room my review would probably have been a 4 or 5 instead of a 2. I talked with the owner about this and she was not very sympathetic. Not a way to treat customers and very poor management. She did tell me that they knew there was a noise problem with the front room as they had previously had complaints and that they would change the shower curtain. A little common sense would go a long way in this situation. Why would anyone knowingly give a customer a known problem room when a really nice one was available? This is just plain stupid. Thus the poor review. Hopefully if you choose this hotel you will get one of the nicer rooms and if you stay on a Saturday night be sure to request one at the back of the hotel otherwise pass it by. You'll get more sleep in your car.

The price per night was $125 plus tax more than both the Denali Park Hotel ($119+tax) and White Moose Lodge ($115+ tax). Both are located in Healy and both have similar ratings.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back of the hotel. DO NOT GET A ROOM NEAR THE BAR-RESTAURANT ON A SATURDAY NIGHT...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bbeerbower
Sparks, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed one night as our other accommodations didn't have room for us. I wasn't sure about the Inn but we were comfortable in our room. OK, it wasn't the Hilton and the beds a little hard but we were tired from a long day in the park so it felt good. I always check the sheets and they were clean. Also, I inspected the bathroom before using it and was satisfy. For the price we thought we got a bargain as everything in Alaska, especially near the park is twice, what we paid here. We also ate five meals at the Totem Café and thought it was good, price reasonable, especially the bacon and egg breakfast's. DH is fussy and he said it was good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Daisy62
Arcadia, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was a little worried about our stay at the Totem Inn when I read the last reviews on this site. My first impressions when I pulled into the parking lot was, “wow nice looking place, looks better than the web site pictures”. When checking in, the desk person was very nice and reminded us to turn the refrigerator on if we were to use it. They keep the power off to conserve energy and help keep them clean. Works for me. The prices were posted and agreed with the price quoted to us ($130 plus tax). The room and bath were nice and clean, furniture was a little dated but still looked nice. The beds are great…..I never slept on a memory foam mattress before, now I need to get one for my home. The room has a large flat screen tv with over two dozen channels but only one news channel the rest were network, movie and sports channels. A large Mr. coffee and microwave were on top of the fridge. I used the coffee pot the first night and had to ask for another packet of coffee from the housekeepers the next morning. The young man said no problem and gave me another with a clean filter, very nice. We stayed for three days and only had one problem. The brewery a couple of blocks down the road was having live music and we had to close our window to block the music (very loud). The weather was very hot and only a fan to keep the room cool, but we knew this in advance because we checked every motel in the denali area looking for air conditioning. Nobody has air in the Denali area, nada. The restaurant and bar does have air and they are the only ones on the road, we spent some time in the bar keeping cool. Food was great and we eat there and in the bar which I think I will review on the other listing. I would love to give 5 stars, but it really needs air conditioning. I even used the fitness room to do my morning walk while the wife did our laundry before the housekeepers got there, it supplied at no extra cost. They also supplied free WiFi. Great little place for a small town motel. We did not find or have any of the problems the other reviewers had.....

Room Tip: remember to turn on the fridge if you need it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ohio, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

This place seemed a bit seedy when we checked inn (though the real stuffed musk ox in the foyer was funny). The guy at the check-in wasn’t friendly. We looked at our room and then went to dinner. When we came back to the Totem Inn, we unlocked our room only to see someone else in tour room! The guy in our room was sitting on our bed almost naked. We were freaked. Needless to say, our suspicions about this hotel seemed verified. We went to the front desk and explained the situation. The previously unfriendly clerk now apologized profusely, though he never offered an explanation. He gave us a new room. The important thing was that it was clean. But the experience was unnerving.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Peter H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Healy
Denali Park Hotel
Motel Nord Haven
Motel Nord Haven
#1 of 4 in Healy
Denali Touch Of Wilderness Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Totem Inn? Share your experiences!