“Very Unethical”
Review of Totem Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Healy
Totem Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Healy B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 11, 2011

If I were you I would avoid the Totem Inn at all cost! My experience found them to be very unethical, very rude and very dirty and nasty. The restaurant is terrible and the wait staff is very rude and unprofessional! The prices are way out of line and the rooms and food was terrible.

The rooms are filthy and the bathrooms are even worse!

The owners of the establishment are very rude and anyone who complains they turn around and blame the customer. They also stole from me while I was there and then admitted they had my property then told me they trashed it.

The place is noisy and the rooms are mostly rented by young people there to party. It was very loud and and you could not get any rest.

Once again, I would NOT RECOMMEND the TOTEM INN and you should avoid this place like the PLAGUE!

Room Tip: rooms are terrible and stink.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank chciklondon

Reviewed June 27, 2011

Saved a lot of money by staying in Healy, about 10 minutes north of Denali Park. No AC in the room, and not needed. Well-kept with helpful staff. Good food w/ reasonable prices for the area at the restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank TomfromElPaso
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Well sitting here in Anchorage getting ready to go back to Sebring, I thought I would do a few reviews. We stayed at the Totem Inn twice this fall/winter. Two days in Sept. and one day in Nov.
In Sept. we thought to we would find a lot of deals in the park for the post season. We were wrong. Everything is closed up. We got one of the last rooms out of about 50 at the Totem Inn. When we asked what was going on the front desk guy told us that after the park closes on the 15th of Sept all the businesses try to get there repairs done before the snow and all the construction workers stay here. He said it was a little bit busier than normal but happens every year. Only two hotels, two restaurants, two gas stations and a store stay open all year, but we could drive into the park alittle. So we stayed.
Hotel: The room we got was good sized with two beds. Temperpedic mattresses (wow), large flat screen tv, microwave, refrigerator, and coffee pot with coffee. I asked the front desk if there was any tea and he got me some. There is a fitness room for those who work out. You have to wait your turn for the treadmill, there’s only one. Free laundry (only one washer and dryer for guests but it is free) and free WiFi. Noise, not so bad, there was a lot of traffic up and down the halls but it was muffled pretty good. We had a nice night and decided to stay another. When we came back in Nov. the motel was pretty empty, all the workers were gone. This is probably one of the better hotels we stayed at in the three months we were in Alaska.
Bar: The bar is pretty small and could maybe seat about 40 people. At the time we were there, it had about 12 people. The bartender was friendly and was chatting with everyone. About 6 of the guys were playing ”Wii bowling”, I have to admit this kept us amused for quite awhile. At about Midnight the bartender told the guys that they had enough to drink and should head for home, which they did. We also decided to call it a night and the bartender made last call and said that he was closing up. This was a lot of fun, even the music was good (classic rock). Two thumbs up for this small town bar.
Restaurant: We ate all but one meal here. The restaurant and bar are in the same building about fifty feet from the motel we were in. It’s cold in Nov. but you are going to have to walk outside it you are going to eat. The restaurant part is a nice cozy log room with wildlife pictures all over the walls. I found out that the owner is also the photographer and had a nice chat with him, and even bought one of his photos. I wish I could put a copy of the menu here, it must be six pages. There is pizza, pasta, steaks, seafood, burgers, sandwiches, and breakfasts (which can be ordered all day). The service was good and the food was excellent. The prices on most of the items were better than those in Fairbanks. We were told that almost all the food is prepared on the premises, including the onion rings and fries. I wish we could have tried everything.
The only cloud we had on our stay at the Totem Inn was on our second day in Sept. When I went to the front desk to see if we could stay for another night, there was another guest railing the front desk lady (who must be a saint to put up with it) about how every night she was here, she was kept awake by the bar noise and wanted a discount and if she didn’t see one on here credit card she was going to leave a bad review and get her friends to leave one also. The front desk lady said she would check with the night desk and see what was going on. Well I know for a fact that the bar closed at midnight and there was no bar noise and told the front desk that and that we were not kept awake. Who in their right mind would stay at a hotel for more than one night if the noise was keeping them awake? I mentioned the incident to the owner when I was talking to him at breakfast and he said that it happens during the post season every year. He called them the bargain hunters, if they can’t find a bargain they try to manufacture one. More than 3000 people stay at the Totem every year and 90% is happy and tell him so. So he tries to not get depressed about two or three customers he can’t please. He also told me you can tell who they are because “everything” is bad or terrible. Oh well this turned into a book, hope you enjoyed reading it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SebringElle
Reviewed October 23, 2010

I stayed in this Hotel for 3 days. from Sunday to Wednesday last Sept. 2010 . The Housekeeper start knockin the door at 9:00 a.m. I could hear the loud voice from my room even though they aren't knockin my room. and besides that it gets rough in the evening , Drunked people walking in the hallway. Please don't stay there if you have a child. stay in the BNB,s or Nord Haven.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Cruise1254
Reviewed October 13, 2010

You can hear everything: people walking the hallway, the people and tvs in the rooms around you, and to top it off, they start cleaning at 9am! Good luck sleeping here! I would recommend any of the cabins or bnbs in the Healy area instead of the Totem inn.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2010

Hotel is minimally OK. The attached restaurant/bar has poor service and the food is unbelievably bad. Please, if your want a cheap place to stay that is close to Denali, do not stay here!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank tforideshd
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Called into Healy as the accommodation at Denali Park was still one week from opening. This was well worth the stop. The room was spacious, well equipped and very clean and extremely well priced - less than $100 for the night. Internet was free and the guest laundry was also complimentary - all you had to do was buy the washing powder. Breakfast was not included but the restaurant offered well priced and good food. Service and friendliness was exceptional.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aussie4701
Also consider these accommodations in or near Healy
Denali Park Hotel
#2 of 6 in McKinley Village
Motel Nord Haven Aurora Denali Lodge
Denali Touch Of Wilderness Bed and Breakfast Inn
EarthSong Lodge - Denali's Natural Retreat

Been to Totem Inn? Share your experiences!