“Clean and basic”

Motel Nord Haven Aurora Denali Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Healy
Reviewed May 31, 2012

This hotel is clean and basic, with a comfortable bed. It was more than adaquate for our needs as there aren't too many options in the area. We were given a handicapped room and once I was already in the shower I realized it was a handheld shower head way to low to use as a normal shower and that wasn't the best. We had velcro strips with us and my husband was able to lift it up somewhat. Also the towels are across the bathroom so grab your towel before you get in! These probably wouldn't be issues in a regular room however. The bathroom floor seemed to have warm spots that we liked. I would stay here again if we were in the area.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Motel Nord Haven Aurora Denali Lodge

Reviewed January 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel because of the many good reviews on here. I was pretty disappointed. There was never anyone at the front desk. When I arrived I waited about 5 minutes to show up. I went over once with a question because no one answer when I dialed the operator and no one answered and it again took time for someone to show up. By the time I left I just left my key on the counter and didn't wait. They had my card number so I knew they'd get paid. The cleaning people didn't do a whole lot. There was never coffee at the front desk and no one to ask.
On the better side the room itself was fine, the kitchen was nice to have. The place was fine and the price was great and it wasn't that far to get to Denali. I liked being away from the busy area near the park. Maybe I just went on a bad week when the owners were on vacation or something.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Andy734
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Super nice and Clean Clean Clean. Stayed here after the park had closed to do some local hiking. Open Year Round and close to the park entrance. Double room with 2 queens were extra large and very comfortable. Nice linens and quilted bedspreads. Beds are comfortable and nicely decorated. Coffee and Hot chocolate were in the lobby, and breakfast cereals were put out in the morning. Super quiet. The managers were very very nice and helped us find road conditions and weather on their computer. They also helped us check out late after we ate breakfast at Rosie's Cafe (good food) next door. You won't be disappointed when you stay here. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: They offered a roll away when we thought an extra person was coming along, but didn't need it. R...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Fussyeater2010
Reviewed November 7, 2011

On our November trip to Alaska, we were in search of Northern Lights. We drove through blizzard like conditions until we had to make a decision - stop and rest or keep going to Fairbanks, which was much too far away. Time was starting to work against us and so was the snow.

We pulled into the parking lot around 9:30 at night to find only 3 cars in the lot. My husband went in, the sign said open, and he was told the room would be $90 for the night. We were happy to take it. Although it was a bit out of date, the beds were comfortable. There was no breakfast the next morning, something I like when I'm away, and my shower was nice and hot. My husband, however had no hot water, and that was a good 1/2 hour later. My daughter did not even attempt the feat, especially because there was no hair dryer. And,there was no one to be found at 10 am. Luckily my hair is short and I pretended to dry it with a hairbrush/towel, quite comical i might add! By the way, the temp was -10F when we left!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Teri22
Reviewed September 25, 2011

This September was our fourth stay at this motel. It always delivers good service and its cleanliness is dependable. Each time we request the same room because it faces the woods, has a small refrigerator and microwave which helps us to quickly prepare our own breakfasts before heading to the park. We're always there in September, off season, so breakfast is not served any longer. In the lobby there is always coffee, teas, apple cider, hot chocolate available. I only wish the hotel had laundry facilities. Planning to stay again in September 2012.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Places
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I crossed my fingers when booking, and can't tell you how happy we were (2 couples) when we saw our rooms. Very clean, good bed, nice bathroom. The breakfast was good and a bonus for getting us on our way to Denali. I admit to being a bit of a princess so had a lot of trepidation. I would say it's better than a basic motel and the staff couldn't have been nicer. Also ordered bag lunches and were pleased with the sandwiches, fruit, cookie & drink.

Room Tip: We asked to be in the one story building across from the office. It was very quiet and we left our...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank SFTraveler031
Reviewed September 8, 2011

We stayed in the newer building across from the original motel and the room (113) was great. Big with a view to the woods. 4 cubic ft refrig. for left overs. Got a good dinner suggestion to go to the "49th State" about a mile south of motel. Fun place.

Room Tip: New building although original looked nice as well
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Healy
Denali Park Hotel
Grande Denali Lodge
#2 of 6 in McKinley Village
Denali Touch Of Wilderness Bed and Breakfast Inn
EarthSong Lodge - Denali's Natural Retreat

Been to Motel Nord Haven Aurora Denali Lodge? Share your experiences!