“Please avoid”

Ranked #19 of 21 Tours in Haines
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Please avoid”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Booked Mendenhall helicopter and dog sleigh tour at the cost of 998 dollars for two people and nobody from dolly varden tours turned up to meet us in Juneau Alaska. We were off the boat and waited 45 mins both before and after the arranged pick up time, so no issues with timing. We called their office several times on the day and left messages, no one from dolly varden has contacted us. This was our big highlight in Juneau so we decided to fork out the money again with another tour rep, which I'm glad we did as the actual tour was a great experience. However, we also discovered that only 2 companies fly up to Mendenhall glazier and we were not booked with either for that day. I have since contacted dolly varden several times by email and
still no reply from them, to me this is essentially theft. I will update if I'm successful in getting my money back. Sorry for the lengthy review but I just wanted to make others aware of my experience with dolly varden tours in Alaska. My advice would be to do the tour but book with another company.

Visited June 2014
4 Thank Helbels58

Bay Port, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“No refund for cancelled tour”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our Helicopter/Dog sledding tour in Juneau on Aug. 9, 2012 was cancelled because of weather. Per their policy, I contacted DollyVarden within the 12 days of excursion date to receive my refund. I was told they have to receive their refund from the helicopter company before they can refund me. I waited two billing cycles but no refund on my credit card. I have tried to email, telephone and fax them numerous times, still no reply. I contacted the helicopter company and received an immediate response. Their bookkeeping shows they refunded DollyVarden within 2 days of the cancelled tour. I will contact the helicopter company again to see if they can help me contact DV. Just be warned if your tour is cancelled you may never get your refund.

Visited August 2012
6 Thank Deb H
Adelaide, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“No Refund When Tour Cancelled”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Unfortunately poor weather caused our Helicopter tour to be cancelled in Juneau on August 2, 2012. Dolly Varden have not provided the refund promised, have not answered email or phone messages enquiries or complaints despite regular contact attempts. Even removed my posts on the Dolly Varden Alaska Facebook page asking them to contact me!

Visited August 2012
7 Thank Bill-Nene
Baltimore
289 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 217 helpful votes
“Picturesque float through Chilkat”
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We arranged this tour through Dolly Varden, trying to avoid booking through Princess Cruises. The trip down the river was lovely. We saw many bald eagles as well as a golden eagle, which was really cool. Our raft operator, Victor, was great. He had lots of information and was a lot of fun. We got so many great pictures even though the day was overcast. The river is calm and cold. They did offer extra coats if needed. The only downside was our bus driver, Al. While other passengers may have enjoyed it, the stories about his exploits as a big-game hunter were tiresome.