“Good food in Haines”

Chilkat Bakery and Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 18 Restaurants in Haines
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Friendly staff, excellent service and very good food. It's not overpriced for the location, and everything appeared to be clean and in order. If you visit in the summer you will notice the beautiful flowers in hanging baskets lining the porches.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

This bakery is also a Thai restaurant however we wanted a huge American breakfast and that is what we got! Wonderful pancakes and maple syrup, very friendly service and reasonably priced. Obviously popular with the locals too!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stopped by for a quick lunch after getting off the ferry from Juneau. This was the first place we ate in Haines, and my boyfriend and I both expected the food to be average, just like it is everywhere in Juneau. We got simple stuff--a cheeseburger and fries for my boyfriend, and a grilled cheese and garden salad for myself. I noticed right off the bat that the entire front of the restaurant--bakery counter and dining area--was being worked by just one young woman. This was impressive, as the place was getting full, and it seemed like she was running around serving everyone promptly and politely, offering friendly advice on dishes and double-checking to make sure she got our orders right.
The food was super yummy! My simple garden salad had a lot of veggies and tasty dressing, not just iceberg lettuce and like two tomatoes (like so many other places), and my grilled cheese sandwich was cooked perfectly. My boyfriend's burger passed his inspection (he always checks his burgers when we eat at a new place, to make sure they are homemade and not frozen patties. He is obsessed with this!), and he said it was really solid and the bun was fresh baked.
We came back a few days later to pick up some baked goods for the ferry home; lemon bars and an apple strudel. The apple strudel was pretty bad and we didn't finish it. The lemon bar that I ate was DELICIOUS and I ate it so fast I got a stomach ache.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Went for lunch with the family last week - and was surprised by the selection including Thai food . No surprise though, the owner is originally Thai - I think - and my red chicken curry tasted great, slightly spicy and was a sizeable portion.
Other dishes on our table incl. Sweet & sour chicken, a massive burger with fries and a turkey & cranberry wrap.
All in all a nice surprise menu (for me :-) as my parents had been there before) , something different and very tasty !
Watch out: they open and close early : 7 am - 3 pm only ! And probably close in winter.
But definitely go !

Reviewed July 31, 2013

This restaurant is truly a gem and run by Miki who is a top notch operator, and runs a wonderful Restaurant and Bakery. In addition to having a great selection of Thai food, which is excellently prepared by her and her mother, both of Thai background, she has a western style bakery and serves the best breakfast in Haines by far. I would highly recommend this restaurant if you are travelling to Haines.