“Unique experience but kind of pricey”

Kroschel Films Wildlife Center
Ranked #1 of 38 things to do in Haines
Whitehorse, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Unique experience but kind of pricey”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

The animals have such a strong healthy bond with Mr. Kroschel. It is obvious he cares and treats them respectfully. The facility was pretty wet and muddy in parts with an outhouse available. Part of the experience is waiting for the animals to be brought out or for the men to go into the cages to talk about the animals. There is a short amount of time to take pictures if you're lucky enough to be near the front. I would love to recommend this place to visit but for 2 adults we paid $100. I don't think I could every bring my family or recommend it to families because of the cost.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank MsSchmengie

Preston, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wild life centre”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This was by far the highlight of my first trip to Alaska we went on a cruise / tour with Princess cruises for my birthday.
I was amazed by what i saw at the wildlife centre and i got up close to all the animals they had there, Cant wait to go again in the future.

2 Thank jprice_13
South Lyon, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Dr. Doolittle of Alaska”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We went in September of 2012. If there was an animal for me to Kiss, I was trying. Karen gave me a kiss, I got Banana goo on my shoes from the adults moose. Fed the reindeer' LOVED the wolverine and Steve massaging his gums and sending him into a trance. Steve and Mario are great both as entertainers as well informative advocates of this AWESOME sanctuary to educate and protect Alaskan wildlife. They were very approachable and answered a myriad of questions. Am going to Alaska again this year and am DEVASTATED that we are not going to Haines again. It is not wheelchair friendly, but is natural habitat and is suited to the animals. YOU should go.

2 Thank Renee P
Barrie, Canada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Be Educated With A Close Encounter with NW Wildlife”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We changed our schedule to be there on one of the few days that the Princess cruise ships were in Haines or Skagway – they have a contract with the cruise line. It was definitely well worth changing our schedule for it, as we were told. What had appealed to me was the opportunity to see animals that we would be almost definitely unlikely to see as we did our driving tour – like the wolverine, but the tour was more than we had hoped for. It exceeded our expectations by a longshot. Unfortunately, Steve was off on a movie shoot in Europe, but we really didn’t feel shortchanged with the tour provided by Rocky and Mario. As other reviewers have mentioned, they do entertain, but they educate too. Learning is more fun if you enjoy it. Highlights? Each animal was a highlight in its own right. We laughed at the antics of the wolf who wanted to play with Mario, but we learned how important they are to keeping deer populations healthy, and balanced. Throughout the 2 hours (was it only 2 hours? We gained so much!) we learned about the knowledge and wisdom of the native people, and their respect for all of nature. It was amazing too, to learn how much respect and fear wildlife have for “hot wires”/”electric fences” – to keep away from them, and to learn that movie trick, that between a 1800lb grizzly bear and human actors is a little hotwire that the bear doesn’t want to encounter!!! My traveling companion was thrilled to kiss a moose! We were amazed to see Mario carrying a Canadian Lynx around as if it was a housecat! While we didn’t get to see it outside the pen, the wolverine was wonderful to see up close. He wanted to play so badly, but Mario admits to not having as much control with him as Steve does. We were also astounded to know that moose love bananas! The riper the better!
To get to the Korschel Film Wildlife Center, it is about 45 minutes’ drive north of Haines, and do be on time. They have limited parking space. If you can't manage hills, you may have a problem, some of those hills were fairly steep... although Mario walked up and down backwards, talking as he went!

6 Thank CanadianJane1957
Canberra, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“WOW”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

What an amazing tour - only small groups go on this tour so it is made very personal. A must for all animal lovers out there

Visited July 2012