Captain's Choice Motel
  • Restaurant
Very Good 4/5
  • Free Internet
Excellent 5/5
All reviewsbit datedcar rentalnice ladycoffee barterrific viewfree internetguest laundryin towngreat roomcruise shipstayed two nightsbed was comfortableavisdowntown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 5, 2009

After reading Trip Advisor reviews we were hesitant to stay here, but wanted the convenience for a "shuttle" to and from the ferry. It was a great place...nice views, and a wonderful deck to have cocktails on before dinner. The rooms were average, but clean.
The breakfast was average, but plenty. We were picked up promptly from the ferry and
had prompt transportation back to the ferry. Withing walking distance of the litte, funky
downtown. Was disappointed though, in the Haines Junction drive.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank nautregal
Reviewed July 9, 2009

We had a confirmed reservation at the Captain's Choice Motel and after chck-in, we opened the door to the room only to find someone else's things there. In short, the occupant had not checked out and the front desk clerk didn't know; nor was she willing to do anything about it. The clerk did find us a room in a hotel nearby, but we were lucky since it is summer. While standing in line, I heard another traveler complaining that he was promised an ocean view room and had not received one.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KathyofCroix
Reviewed April 14, 2009

A friend of mine and I stayed here for one night after driving all day from Fairbanks. It wasn't bad. The rooms are older and the decor is interesting. But it was perfect for our little adventure. The whole place was rented out to skiers/boarders, we got the last room available, so this seems to be the place to be during end of season. The location is awesome. Right smack dab in the middle of Haines, you can basically access anything from this point. Service wasn't bad either.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Christy83426
Reviewed November 2, 2008

this is a well situated motel in the centre of Haines. The room was comfortable, good value and had a great view.

There are good drinking and dinning options close by.

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank PineMonkey
Reviewed September 1, 2008

In deciding which hotel to stay in Haines I searched the internet on various sites, including this one, and weighed the helpful reviews. Finally I called the hotel directly to make my reservation. The staff member recommended her "best, most in demand" room for a slight extra charge. I had doubts but after reading what others experienced I decided to take it. I believe she made a good recommendation and I'll tell you it was room 262... because it was the best view on that floor and had a deck with a sliding glass door. Since it is an end room there is more light and less noise. I agree that here, one must be ready for anything. The outside lights were all out upon my arrival. But, on the other hand the pickup at the ferry was on time and no problem. The driver obviously was experienced at this. Hope they keep him. On the way back to the ferry there were so many passengers they had to make two trips. The ferry is 3 miles from this hotel which is centrally located. Seems that they have many travelers, either from the ferry or those driving down from Canada border (40 miles) or waiting to go or come from Skagway. Dining and grocery shopping are walking distance. I chuckled when one guest complained about the parking because I'd read that complaint in other reviews, but I found the parking to be adequate. I rented one of their cars for $80/day. The room was clean, had rustic wood paneling with Rope edging, keeping with the "captain" theme. The breakfast was ok, good bagels and cream cheese and muffins. Choice of Orange or Apple juice or punch. It's not a resort so don't expect that level of service, but a good stopover. For a place with no computer at the desk, they keep track of the guest bookings pretty well with a pencil and paper.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank NewguySFO