Captain's Choice Motel
$149
  • Restaurant
$130
  • Free Internet
All reviewsbit datedcar rentalnice ladycoffee barterrific viewfree internetguest laundryin towngreat roomcruise shipstayed two nightsbed was comfortableavisdowntown
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The staff here are very friendly and helpful. Someone picked me up at the tiny airport and they stored my luggage until the afternoon when I could check in. You can walk everywhere in Haines from this location. The rooms are pretty old, but you know what, it's reasonably priced and it's clean and for a traveler on a budget, both things are important. Staff also gave me a ride to the ferry terminal the next morning. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: The closer you get to the front desk, the fewer steps you'll have to schlep your luggage down. Also, see if you can get a second story room. Mine was on the bottom floor and faced the parking lot. Lots of people walking past my window.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Their ad states "The Captain's Choice Motel is one of Alaska's finest motels" NOWAY ! it's old and out dated so much so that the furniture is falling apart. Don't lean on a table the top will literately fall off.The chairs are worn and badly stained. I felt so gross the 4 days we were there that I slept in my sweats and socks ! The staff was very friendly though. I'd rather pay extra money to stay at a B&B then to have to endure that experience again. For what they charge to stay a night you'd think they could afford a face lift on the place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was, by far, the worst place we stayed in 4 weeks in Alaska.Our room loooked out at a snow bulldozer and a large refuse bin.I asked to be moved from this dull and dingy room and was told that no other room was available despite our booking having been made several months previously.The young woman on reception chastised me for complaining and said it was nothing to do with her!The room was in need of a deep clean and replacement of linen.The beds were long overdue for replacement, too.
Breakfast was poor and very basic apart from a very good raisin bread.
We did have a free shuttle to the ferry but it was to the wrong one and someone kindly took us to the correct one!
We subsequently found out that the owner was absentee and no one was in charge.This was very obvious. What a waste of a beautiful position overlooking the Lynn Canal.

Room Tip: Avoid this motel at all costs.If you have to stay make sure you have a room on the topp floor with a view which would make the stay a little more bearable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tryfan
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I travel to Haines frequently and always try to stay at the Captains Choice. The staff is friendly and willing to help out with whatever they can. They offer free shuttle rides to and from the airport and ferry terminal at any time of the day or night. The hotel has a simple free breakfast with bagels and pastries. Wireless internet is available for a fee from a third party service at a reasonable cost. There is a mini fridge, coffee maker and microwave in each room as well as a great view of Lynn canal from most.

The Captain's Choice also has cars available for rental. The hotel is also located right in the center of town with several restraunts and a grocery store within easy walking distance. The price is reasonable considering where you are.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ShrillerAK
Reviewed April 6, 2013

First off, if you have an extra two days or so while traveling the Alcan to Alaska make sure you make the drive from Haines Junction, Yukon to Haines Alaska on the Haines highway 3/7. This road meanders along through the Yukon, BC and then into Alaska, high up in the mountains, skirting along Kluane National Park. High mountain passes with spectacular vistas appear around almost every corner.
Once in Haines, we stayed at the Captains Choice Hotel. There are not many hotels in Haines so this one was very busy. It is an older place but is nicely kept up. The rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable and it won’t cost you an arm and a leg. All in all we enjoyed our stay at the Captains Choice. Not a 4 star for sure but nice just the same.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family