“A nice place to stay in wonderful Haines.”

Captain's Choice Motel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Haines
oregon
“A nice place to stay in wonderful Haines.”
Reviewed October 2, 2007

Nice place, nice location. The view is wonderful. Making the reservation was pleasant and they offered us a nice room with a great view and deck. It is great that they serve a continental breakfast. We rented a car from the hotel which was about $75/day for a decent but worn vehicle. But the process of renting the car was smooth and we were glad to be able to do it. Also, we arrived at the Haines airport and called for the "courtesy shuttle" only to find that there wasn't one that day so we had to wait for a cab....the only cab in town that charged us $20 a person for about a five mile drive. The driver was gruff and said he had just picked up beer and the liquor store (that's comforting)....when we got to the Captain's Choice we realized there was an ongoing issue with the cab service because he is the only cab in town and rips everyone off. The clerk paid me for 1/2 the cab fare, but I had asked for the second 1/2 since they had promised me the shuttle. But don't let this stop you from staying at the Captain's Choice though....it is a nice place.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank janinairene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Nashville, TN
Reviewed August 31, 2007

Captain's Choice has a great view of the bay and mountains, a nice deck complete with ravens who'd like a treat, and rooms that are clean and neat. Room decor is dated but that's part of the 'charm' of Alaska -- no big chain motels. Decent breakfast included with plenty of muffins, some yummy locally made raisin bread, juices and coffee. They have rental vehicles on site and across the street is the Bamboo Room, known for good food. WIthin walking distance of the small downtown area and welcome center.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank katzundeberi
Reviewed March 20, 2006

For the area this motel is worth every penny, compared to the others. Believe us, we saw two other motels and they were extremely sad compared to this one. It has wireless access and its a pet friendly place. We will stay here again, when we come back through Haines.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mill Valley, CA
Reviewed September 12, 2005

I had carefully made my reservation and reconfirmed it, but when I arrived, they had lost it and although it was 9 PM, they said the rooms weren't cleaned yet! There were three seperate guests arriving at the same time and we all were told the rooms weren't ready. When I finally was given a room, it was not ready, i.e. no sheets, no towels. The desk was totatly confused. The motel specifically advertised that it had a wonderful new laundry facility, but when I asked for the key to it, I was told they would have to get the permission of the guest in an adjacent room for me to use it at 10PM. It's OK and the breakfast was quite good, but be ready for anything when you get there.

6 Thank fredcarl
Reviewed February 14, 2005

I had made reservations serveral days in advance for a car rental through the Captain's Choice Motel for the weekend. I called from the ferry terminal upon my arrival. The lady at the front desk said she was busy but would be out to pick me up when she was available. I waited 30 minutes and called again, she assured me that she was almost ready to leave to pick me up. I waited a total of SIXTY MINUTES before the van arrived! I wasn't impressed as I had stayed at the motel numerous times and rented a car also. I finally got my rental car only to find that the parking lot was very icy and I had heavy bags. I realized later that there are only two ferries a week into Haines this month and why did they only have one person working? Then my car doors froze up so much that I thought I was going to rip off the rubber seal from the doors. My next trip to Haines will be different.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 4, 2004

When I arrived for my weekend in Haines (arranged weeks in advance), I was informed that I had been moved from my pre-booked room (double/non-smoking) to a smoking room because the hotel was quite full. The room smelled like a nasty ashtry! I was very disappointed and ended up moving to another hotel.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 10, 2004

I spent one night at the Captain's Choice Motel and one night at the Halsingland Hotel. There is a world of difference. At the Captain's Choice Motel the check in desk personel were very rude, my room was not even close to "luxury" accomodations as advertised. I decided to spend the next night at the Halsingland Hotel in which I was impressed with their hospitality The all you can eat Mother's Day Brunch in the dining room was superb. The rooms were clean and updated to compliment the historic atmosphere and even cheaper than the Captain's Choice Motel.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haines
Halsingland Hotel
Aspen Suites Hotel Haines
Beach Roadhouse
Beach Roadhouse
#1 of 4 in Haines

Been to Captain's Choice Motel? Share your experiences!