“What To Expect (A little long for context)”
Review of Halsingland Hotel

Halsingland Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Haines
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Interesting reviews from others... I put in at least eighty nights a year in hotels and have come to learn to place my expectations on location and description. So when I read "historical" it then filters down to location. Halsingland is in a community of 850, and when I see that, I have a pretty good idea what not to expect (Mission Inn - Riverside, CA etc).

Having said that, I think some of the folks concerns about what they saw are true. But it does come back to expectations. The hotel is actually two buildings connected by an addition and was built in 1904 as part of the U.S Army's Fort Seward. The restaurant, bar and lobby were was the Captain's dining building, while the rooms are part of what was a boarding house during the Fort's tenure.

So the plugs are sparse given the age of the building, but they all work. The bath sink is small and it is a challenge to put anything more than a toothbrush/paste and a brush on it. And there is no elevator just stairs (but then the building are two and three story). Great views, very clean rooms, definitely ample parking, and there is a need for some restoration (I think one of the reviewers posted a photo of the scaffolding on the roof as they continue with the restoration) All true!

So having those "expectations" (thanks to the other reviewers for their help!) we booked rooms for ten clients and myself and everyone, with the oldest being 87. They all had a great time and enjoyed their stay, but I told them what to expect...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank slobird

Reviewed July 18, 2012

We took 2 rooms (one for us and one for my parents - they were put two doors down). From the parking lot you must climb steps. Then you must climb porch steps. The you must climb old steps to the top floor. There is no way in my home state that a building like this could be used for a hotel! The codes here must be quite lax. There were no modern plugs. Only old things (see pictures) that were 6 feet off the ground. There was only one that the heater, tv, and lamp had to plug into. So you couldn't have everything plugged in at the same time! There were no screens on the old wood windows. There was no air conditioner. The heater was a little electric one you have to plug into the wall. We started seeing one or two fireants. Then we found more. A drawer had a bunch in it! We told the lady and she moved us to another room. She said these things happen...Later my parents found fireants in their room also. Not a place for a good nights sleep! The owners were so unsurprised I couldn't believe it! There was some coffee (no tea like advertised) and banana bread in the office at breakfast time. There is no ice machine, but when asked the lady went down to the cellar of the office building and got us some out of her freezer.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank MichiganCindie
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Wonderful front desk staff, gorgeous views of the harbour area and mountains. Haines is my favourite summer getaway and it always includes this hotel. I have stayed at many other properties and now that Norm's bed and breakfast is not running - this is the only place I truly enjoy. The hotel is old, and has neat claw-foot tubs. Anyone used to modern, five star stuff may be disappointed, but the whole point of staying here is to experience the "old" building - Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Megan S
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed lucky only one night in this hotel because it was the worst hotel on our trip thru Alaska. The hotel advertise with that they are a historical hotel but is that meaning that windows has to be broken. That from the ceiling plates almost all have to be broken and that the furniture looks if it can fall apart every second?. Or is it hat they save on this all to make profit?. In all this hotel is overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank harry098
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I think history buffs would love this hotel. It was one of the more interesting places we stayed on our 6 week trip across Canada and Alaska.It was in the commander's quarters of Fort Seward. The room was basically a dorm room. We had an OK double bed, a very tiny bathroom and a view of the roof outside. We did not open the windows because there weren't any screens and the mosquitoes were active, so it was a bit stuffy. We could not find the switch for the overhead light and it turned out to be inside the closet. The restaurant and bar looked interesting. If you like interesting and kind of quirky but no luxury... go for it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank babobear1
Reviewed August 24, 2011

This hotel is in the most lovely part of Haines. There is no other hotel that I've experienced in Alaska to match it for its historic setting. The staff were very friendly and I felt right at home there. When unfortunately I got injured in the town, they couldn't have been more helpful. To sum up I have very fond memories of the hotel and the level of service, thanks guys.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Vstromer001
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This is a historic hotel in a beautiful setting. I spent one night there as I waited to board the Alaska ferry. The front office was very efficient and put me in a "pet friendly" room. The room was run down (torn curtains, torn mattress covers) and had a dank, musty smell. The charge for one night was over $100 U.S. Based on what I saw during this visit, I would not recommend this property to other travelers with pets.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank AlaskaDreams
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haines
Westmark Inn Skagway
House No. 1 Fort Seward B&B
Historic Skagway Inn
Historic Skagway Inn
#3 of 5 in Skagway

Been to Halsingland Hotel? Share your experiences!