“Nice but pricey”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Girdwood
Perry, MI
“Nice but pricey”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We stayed here only one night. It is a beautiful hotel/ski lodge and grounds not typically Alaskan more upscale New York. I have no real complaints but I would not recommend this hotel because for the price the value was not there. If you are in this town unless you're staying at a B&B there is no other choice. Town is more of a place to pass through than stop and stay

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hasletthoney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Cocoa, Florida
Reviewed August 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Alyeska on the land leg of our CruiseTour. The hotel is beautiful, the resturant above the hotel is beautiful with friendly staff, and the grounds around the hotel are breath taking! However, if you are traveling with the Cruise Industry you may not be treated the same as other guest, this was our experience. The "Manager on Duty" made that very clear when she said, "The Cruise only gives us part of the money you pay them." We were not able to check in when we arrived, we were told 2:00pm and after the bus ride we really wanted to get into our room. We waited about an hour, but were told that for Cruise guests they didn't really need to have our room ready until 4:00pm. I'm not sure why this was pointed out, but it was. We were referred back to our Tour Guide (who was fantastic by the way) any time we had a question, even about the SPA. Why should he know about the SPA? Shouldn't the hotel know about the SPA? I finally got a SPA menu at the Bar, and the bartender knew all about the spa and helped me book my SPA for the following morning. They requested I be there 15 minutes prior to treatment, but there was no one there when I arrived. I then noticed check out time was 10:00 and became concerned because I booked a long treatment and would not have enough time to return to my room to get ready to board the bus for the trip to the ship. I could have gotten ready in the SPA, I think, but we had to have our bags out early and this would include all the things I needed to get ready, or I would have to carry them, I had enough to carry. I called down to the desk and asked for a check out of 10:30am, 30 minutes extra. I was told that for "Cruise Customers" there is no late check out. I let them know my concerns about time to get ready and I was told, "There are no exceptions." We went round and round about this for a while and the "Manager on Duty" did phone the "Manager" at home and was told, "No excepitons" but good news, they would have me out by 9:30 and 30 minutes would be plenty of time to get ready. I had judged this for myself, before I made the call, it's not enough time for ME to get ready. So, my SPA treatment was $180.00. I was told I could not cancel, interesting since they did not have my CC number. I assume they would have charged the Cruise Line. However, I said, "I either need 30 minutes or I need to be able to cancel the SPA." The "Manager on Duty" called back and said, "Good news, you can cancel the SPA, no charge." Well, she did accomodate me, but why was that good news? I told her Thank YOU, but I felt it was a bad business decision on their part and I was again told, "There are no exceptions for Cruise guests on late check out." Well OK then. I'm pretty confident the Cruise Industry provides a lot of business for the hotel, and the food and drinks are pricey as you would expect from a resort accomodation. We dropped about $250 between food and drink, and another $110 in the gift shop, there were two of us. Many of the Cruise Guests had families and dropped more, so I'm not sure why they would not want our business, but we felt it, we were second class citizens in a resort. WOW! While the resort was beautiful the rooms were small, noisy, and not clean. Both the bathroom and the area around the coffee pot were filthy, not cleaned and they forgot to check the coffee pot area because not only was it dirty, the old coffee from prior guest was still in there and we had no new coffee. Our view was of a roof, not a huge issue since we were not in the room too much, but for someone who enjoys the room or is staying more than one night, not so good. Of course maybe those who come without the Cruise Industry are given better accomodations. Would I stay again, maybe, but I have figured out an alternative route for the Cruise Tour which would bypass Girdwood altogether and I'm thinking the other hotel would really want our business, it's a little out of the way but also beautiful. This was the only downside to an otherwise fantastic Alaska vacation.

• Stayed July 2010
4 Thank TRAVELFUNTINA
Georgia
Reviewed August 3, 2010

This is a wonderful resort-- clean, comfortable rooms, great service from hotel staff, etc. The only problem we had was checking in. We arrived early in the afternoon and were told our room would probably be ready by around 3:30 (official check in is 4 p.m.)....so we did the Winner Creek trail (nice)... came back and waited... and waited... and waited....finally were able to check into our room at nearly 6 p.m.! The front desk staff finally explained to us that the manager had allowed an entire cruise ship full of guests to check out late that day (1 p.m.!), and they obviously didn't hire enough cleaning staff to get all the rooms cleaned in 3 hours' time... so there were quite a number of people hanging around the lobby as we were, waiting to check in. Evidently the emphasis is on satisfying the large cruise/tour groups, at the expense of individual travelers.

To be fair, once we did get checked in, all of the staff were fantastic. I called and asked for a wine bottle opener and more coffee, and about 30 seconds later someone was at the door with both. The room was immaculate and the view was wonderful. I would recommend this hotel-- just don't expect to check in until dinnertime.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
St Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed August 1, 2010

This was such a nice place to stay! Nicest place we stayed while in Alaska! Super clean & comfy rooms! Good location near to Seward Highway and Turnagin Arm! Room was very, very comfy! Our room was on the 6th floor and we had a lovely lodge-type view of the mountains. Grounds were exceptionally beautiful! Be careful for wildlife on your walks as I was chased through the parking lot by a Mama Moose with her baby! More people are killed by Moose in Alaska than by bears! Sign up on their website for email deals!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
South Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed July 28, 2010

There are too many great things
1. The views from the room
7. Clean rooms
8. Awesome Consierge
9. Great pool and jacuzzi
10. clean fitness room

The list goes on. This was one of the best hotels I have stayed at. i have stayed at 5 star hotels though out the US and places around the world, and this is up there on the list of my favorites!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Carlisle, PA
Reviewed July 24, 2010

On the final day of our pre-cruise tour to Denali with Regent Seven Seas, we spent the night at Alyeska on our way to Seward and the ship. This was by far the best accommodation we had during the tour. The hotel is part of a ski resort, and we took the tram to the top of the mountain and had lunch at the small cafeteria as part of our tour (there is a fine dining restaurant up there, as well, that we did not sample). The rooms were extremely comfortable and large. The grounds with the pond and hiking trails were inviting, and even the shops made us wish we were able to spend more time there. Our dinner the evening of our arrival was in the informal restaurant on the third floor of the hotel, and it was reasonable and very good. There is also a Japanese restaurant in the hotel that is open on weekends in the summer. It is unfair to compare this to other lodgings we had in Anchorage and beyond since it is designed as a ski destination (with 800 inches of snow each year, by the way). It was a surprise to find something this plush essentially in the middle of "nowhere" in Alaska. It definitely got us prepared for our week of pampering aboard ship.

• Stayed July 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I'm still dreaming about the great stay we had over a year later. Nothing comparable- snagged a great deal online- extended our stay an extra night because everything was so perfect. You won't be disappointed! We were here on the off-season so I can't really speak for the winter rush.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Girdwood
Ski Inn
#15 of 127 in Anchorage
Midnight Sun Log Cabins
Midnight Sun Log Cabins
#3 of 3 in Moose Pass

Been to Hotel Alyeska? Share your experiences!