“Bland, poor-tasting food presented as if it tasted good”

Jack Sprat Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Girdwood
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Established in 2001, Jack Sprat serves carnivores and vegans side-by-side! Our slogan is "Fat & Lean World Cuisine" which allows for healthy and decadent flavors from around the globe. You will find humanely raised meats, local & sustainably caught seafood and plenty of vegetarian dishes on the menu. Jack Sprat is committed to providing the community of Girdwood and its visitors with the highest quality of food and service. We create a fun & relaxing atmosphere for everyone to enjoy. Stop in for weekend brunch or come in for dinner any night of the week. Reservations are recommended.
Reviewed July 6, 2011

When we saw our food, we thought it looked beautiful and delicious. Much to our dismay - the taste did not match the look. The food was bland at best. We went with a large party and all of us were disappointed. The chicken was very, very dry, the soups had a poor flavor; the best thing served was the salmon and we had better salmon at diners and cafes in Alaska. It was extremely overpriced, especially considering the flavor and surroundings.

5  Thank Terry4343

Reviewed July 4, 2011

Well... pros and cons: I could not even finish the yam fries. I LOVE yams but these babies had to be sent back, and they didn't even take them off the ticket. BUT, we had the best chicken I have ever tasted there, and the avocado and jicama salad was fresh, delicious and creative. I have had good meals there in the past. It's just a bit hit or miss.

1  Thank SharonGraham73
fransweits, Owner at Jack Sprat Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2011

We don't understand. If the yams portion was larger than you could finish, why not take them with you? They are a nice snack reheated in the oven the next day.

Reviewed June 21, 2011

Jack Sprat in Girdwood was a welcome surprise on our recent stay at the Hotel Alyeska. We ordered salmon and the evening's halibut special. Both were done in an innovative manner and were delicious. We had a cheesecake dessert that was truly "to die for" as the waitress suggested. Our service was attentive and the atmosphere on the sun porch was pleasant. We wished we had found the time to return to Girdwood on our final day in Anchorage as the meal we had in the city was not nearly as good. We travel often and this restaurant stands up to the test of our travels.

1  Thank RAF077
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Went on tuesday for our first time. The server was clearly flustered even though the restaurant didn't seem very busy. She was very nice but not attentive. We finally got our orders in yet felt guilty for adding to our server's stress. The food was fantastic though. Not sure if we will return.

1  Thank MickMack054
Reviewed June 14, 2011

went to jack spratt with a group and really did not have a good experience. After waiting 45 min at least to place our dinner orders, we ordered 2 appetizers to start with(risotto and yam fries both of which came out quickly and were good). The meals, however, took another 45 min -1 hour after ordering to come out of the kitchen. So we waited at least 90 min after being seated for our food. This was a weeknight and the restaurant was really not that busy. When I got my food I was disappointed by the tiny portions. My meal cost >30$ and I got 3 scallops, 2 shrimp and 3 clams in broth with 2 small pieces of bread. The meals others in our group ordered mostly were small as well, but the steak entree had a good amount of food. After my wife and I finished we were both still very hungry. When I eat out I except to not leave so hungry that I have to go home and cook. If you choose to come here be sure you ask how much food is actually on the dish you order so you don't leave hungry. All the food I tried tasted good, there just was not nearly enough of it.
The second issue was the poor service. our group called ahead and made a reservation so the restaurant knew how many people were coming. when we arrived there were no drinks on the table. After hearing the specials from the waiter and waiting 15 more minutes, my wife finally just went to the bar and got water herself since the waiter did not bring any. When the waiter first came to our table I had ordered a drink that took 20 minutes and asking a second time to finally receive. The biggest issue though was that it took 45 min at least before the waiter finally came and took our meal orders. The restaurant was not so busy that it should have taken this long. I have eaten at nice restaurants before and the servers are very attentive. our table was right out in the open so the waiter couldn't really have forgotten about us....I'm not really sure why it took so long. anyway, the short version is that I will not be going back to this restaurant for dinner.
(I did eat here for lunch 1 year ago and the food and service were both great. I'm not sure why things got worse for dinner.)

2  Thank claude_francois99