“Up Close and Personal with Nature”

Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center
Glaciers and Wildlife - Super Scenic Guided Day Tour from Anchorage
Ranked #1 of 39 things to do in Girdwood
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (AWCC) is a sanctuary dedicated to preserving Alaska’s wildlife through conservation, research, education and quality animal care. AWCC takes in injured and orphaned animals year-round and provides spacious enclosures and quality animal care. Animals that cannot be released into the wild are given a permanent home at the center. We have been able to provide care for hundreds of displaced animals because visitors like you have made critical contributions in the form of admission fees, donations, memberships, and gift shop. Please visit our website for more information on how you can help us make a difference.
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I could not believe that my husband and I spent almost 3 hours in the rain having a very good conversation with one of the folks that worked here in the Conservation! The staff are very competent and are very dedicated. They are friendly and they share a lot of their knowledge if you're willing to ask questions. We were here in August of 2010.

My only disappointment was that I was unable to see the Sitka deer, but, such is the nature of wildlife. They don't have a "show" schedule. I truly enjoyed watching a few Grizzlies. I got so close to a Musk Ox during feeding, Caribou, Moose, Wood Bison, as well as huge bull elk.

If you come here on a tour bus, you might not have a good visit as my husband and I did. A lot of tourist buses came here at that time, but I noticed that none of the tourists got off the buses and actually get close to the fences. For those tourists, it must be like experiencing Jurassic Park inside a plexiglass bubble. But, I don't know if it was because of the rain that the tourists did not experience the Conservation like my husband and I did. Who knows?

Everybody came to stop at the little shop where you can buy trinkets and souvenirs. But if you want the real deal, I suggest you walk, breath some fresh air, and view the animals just behind the fences. Some of these creatures are unique to Alaska only therefore it's a must-see.

The time of the year that we visited this place was rainy. Make sure to bring your parka and waterproof gear (Gore-Tex is excellent). Wear good footwear for rain and it may get muddy. My husband and I did not allow rain to dampen our visit here though. Like I said, we visited with a staff for about 3 hours in the rain!!! Overall, we were here for half a day.

1  Thank MimieW
There are newer reviews for Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Very nice way to see lots of animals without going into the wild. Easy to visit on your way to Whittier to the cruise ship.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Our visit here was a good one. We got to see many wild animals that are here because they are being rehabilitated. They keep the animals in large enclosures some as large as 5 acres. Here we saw muskoxen, caribou, bear and deer to name a few. Great facility doing great work in saving these animals. When you visit here you are on your own as they dont have any staff to tell you about the animals, but they do have very helpful information and knowledge when you go into the gift shop. Good place to take pictures of animals up close.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We did this once, got to take pictures of moose and bears. Probably wont stop again unless we are traveling with kids, then it would be a must do.

1  Thank cnorris12000
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I do enjoy seeing a place like this take care of their native animals while educating the public. I am a biologist myself and have worked at other places around the country like this and I would say they do a pretty good job with the resources at hand. I am also happy to see a place like this being supported by tourism, as it takes quite a bit of money to run. The people are also very friendly to customers which makes a different and isn't always experienced from animal care professionals. In terms of a tourist attraction, the place is quite small and not exactly the most exciting adventure. I would highly recommend it if you are going to Girdwood but I wouldn't rent a car just to make the trek out there. Then again, if you do make the trip, the scenery along the way is outstanding and well worth a scenic drive.

3  Thank czematis