“Nice way to see the wildlife”

Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center
Glaciers and Wildlife - Super Scenic Guided Day Tour from Anchorage
Ranked #1 of 39 things to do in Girdwood
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (AWCC) is a sanctuary dedicated to preserving Alaska’s wildlife through conservation, research, education and quality animal care. AWCC takes in injured and orphaned animals year-round and provides spacious enclosures and quality animal care. Animals that cannot be released into the wild are given a permanent home at the center. We have been able to provide care for hundreds of displaced animals because visitors like you have made critical contributions in the form of admission fees, donations, memberships, and gift shop. Please visit our website for more information on how you can help us make a difference.
Reviewed December 9, 2012

It was nice to have a place to visit and see the animals from around Alaska. It isn't like a zoo, but it was nice to be able to get out and see animals in big spaces. Not a half bad backdrop, either!

There are newer reviews for Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I traveled to the center with a bus group on a later afternoon ride from Anchorage. At that time, Anchorage was missing its late November snow, so the inland views with snow covered areas and ice covered waters was quite a change...and quite a beautiful change.

Once at the center, we were joined by a knowledgeable guide and made the loop through the center. I definitely recommend a guided tour. There are stories associated with every animal at the conservation center that are inspirational. You have to hear the story of "Jack" and the intern whose dedication and persistence brought this moose back to health...good stuff!

I did have a couple of favorites. "Wiley" the coyote made an appearance for us. Even the bears left their den for a while to pose for pictures. Seeing Bald Eagles up close is pretty cool. The pair of Lynx in the enclosed compound were impressive as well.

The gift shop carries several unique items. My wife bought a skeen of Qiviut yarn made from Musk Ox coat (and my credit card will eventually recover). Be sure to stop by and support the center with your purchase.

There is more on their web site. Check it out: http://www.alaskawildlife.org/

Reviewed December 2, 2012

The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is an excellent way to see a variety of Alaskan wildlife up close. Clearly the animals are well cared for, and have spacious living areas. Undoubtedly you will see some wildlife in its natural habitat as you travel around Alaska, but the conservation Center is a really good way to see some species that you might not encounter in the wild.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

What a nice place to visit! The first thing i notice are the beautiful mountains that feel as if they are right on the property. I noticed the beautiful bison next , so big and so close to where I was standing on the other side of the fence. Animal after animal I was so amazed at how well kept and clean the animals and the enclosures were. I couldn't leave without visiting the store and buying some sweatshirts! I had so much help in the store, everyone was so nice. I really lovedy day at the conservation center and I'll visit again, next time I'm in Alaska .

Reviewed November 23, 2012

This Wildlife Center was a stop on our tour and one of the highlights in the area. You can get up close to the animals and get some great photos. I know I'll never get as close to a bear as I did that day!