“Billed as a float trip but we just rowed across a lake”
Review of Chugach Adventures

Chugach Adventures
Ranked #4 of 11 Tours in Girdwood
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Chugach Adventures. We offer trips for all adventure levels, all ages & all abilities. Touch an iceberg!
Boston, Massachusetts
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Billed as a float trip but we just rowed across a lake”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I am not sure what others feel is a float trip but our trip was nothing as billed. No class 1 rapids, No Placer River Valley, no river. In fact, no moving unless under rowers' power. We went across a glacial lagoon. Stood on the glacier outflow, ate a caribou jerky and cheese stick and rowed back. The most silly thing was when the owner pulled out carefully proportioned snack bags of goldfish crackers and pretzels. Seriously? If you are going to charge this kind of money, splurge on the snacks. This is a really tight budget operation.

Also, I wish the owners of tours would read a book on tipping etiquette. One doesn't tip owners of anything. Please don't expect it. Include it in your price.

We booked this through the Alaska RR and they shouldn't keep this tour in the program. It was getting up early for not much.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank TravelswithmyTeen
alaskanrafting, Owner at Chugach Adventures, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Although this is not a positive review I want to thank you for your thoughts regarding the tour you took with me at Chugach Adventures.

As an Owner I can honestly say that when one of my guests choose to tip me I tip my guides with the money received. We are also one of the highest paying guide outfitters in the state of Alaska.

We do at times choose to stay at the Spencer Lake instead of going down the Placer River and this is dependent on the river flow, it can get very low at times and makes for a difficult day on the river. This typically happens in the latter part of August or early September. It changes daily with rainfall this time of year. When we opt to stay in the lake we are able to row to the face of the Spencer Glacier and take time cruising the icebergs.

We do our best to make safe decisions for our guests and have fun out in the backcountry exploring the glaciers and icebergs. It's a balancing act trying to meet everyone's expectations but we will continue to try and do so in the future.

I know your goal is to visit all 50 states and wish you & your daughter the best of luck and safe travel!

Melanee Stiassny
Owner
Chugach Adventures

Moose Pass, Alaska, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Helpful and Kind”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

A group of moms, kids, and dogs booked the Whistlestop Spencer Glacier campsite and were pleased to meet the guides from Chugach Adventures who were so kind and helpful. They were not paid to help us or asked to help us, they just did it and were very awesome. All of us were thrilled to have met such a great group of guides who were willing to go above and beyond to help us! One guide even helped us rescue our lost dog! Quite frankly, I'd recommend going out with them anytime since I know they must always be this kind of helpful since we weren't even their clients! way to go!!! People in the Chugach region are awesome and I want to personally thank Justin and Kat (and the rest of the crew) for going above and beyond and making our trip a success!!!!!

Visited August 2013
3 Thank bobbiejokolo
Idaho Falls, Idaho
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful Experience”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I had never been on a float trip and was apprehensive about this part of our tour. It was totally delightful and I enjoyed the entire experience. Great help from the staff in getting your life preserver on, getting into the raft and getting out. We were fortunate in that the weather was perfect which added to the experience.

3 Thank Meg S
Anchorage, Alaska
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Breathtaking!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My hubby and I booked a rafting trip through the Alaska Railroad and had a blast! We took the train out to the Spencer Whistlestop where we met our guides, who escorted us out to the lake. We then were briefed on safety precautions and put on lifevests. The company provides rainboots and socks for everyone, if needed. They also serve a small snack while out on the lake/ river. The scenery can't be beat (plus the chance to touch glaciers? what could be better!?) and for a few hours, it sure goes by fast! Make sure to bring your cameras! A total blast, you don't want to miss out! Thanks for the fun, Chugach Adventure Guides!

2 Thank akgrowngirl
Freeport, Florida, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“spencer glacier”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

nice train ride, only snack food on train. glacier raft trip good no problems other than snack they serve while on raft, I would suggest bring something with you, my kids were starving by the time we got back to anchorage.

1 Thank Tammy G