“Best excursion ever”
Review of Alpine Air Alaska

Alpine Air Alaska
More attraction details
Owner description: Alpine Air Alaska is a helicopter tour company that has flightseeing. glacier landing and a popular glacier dog sledding in the Summer! in Gid
Long Beach, California
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Best excursion ever”
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

My wife I just returned from our two week trip to Alaska, which was both via land and cruise ship. We went on many excursions while there and none were better that Alpine Air Alaska.

First and foremost, the staff at both the ground site and atop the glacier are top class. Professional, experts in their field, energetic, passionate, and most importantly, just cool people.

We were picked up timely from our hotel, taken to the hanger, given instructions, suited up, and away we went.

I won't give too many details as it is something THAT NEEDS TO BE EXPERIENCED, but it was awesome. The helicopter ride up through the majestic mountains, the awesome view, and landing on a glacier were awesome.

Peter and his staff were great, but the dogs were better and the clear stars of the excursion. The two mile ride was truly an experience.

I cannot say enough good things about this entire experience. I have told everyone about it and will be adding pictures soon.

One last thing, send pizza to the team atop the glacier. I did and I can only assume they truly appreciated it. It was the least I could do in return for a truly unforgettable experience of a lifetime.

1 Thank ETinSoCal

Ohio
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Our favorite Alaskan adventure”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This company is so awesome! From the first email they were super responsive answering all of my many emails. My husband, son and friend did the helicopter ride to a glacier with dog sledding and what an experience! I am scared to death of flying and after being up in a helicopter for the first time have decided I'd rather fly in that than a jet. The pilot was great making me feel very safe!
The dogs were adorable and the ride so much fun. It was also a great learning experience about how they train and race the dogs. We saw 4 day old puppies. So cute!
If we ever go back to this area we will definitely book another tour with this company!

42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“One of my best travelling experiences”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is one excursion you do not want to miss. Glacier Dog Sledding,what an experience. The pilot was fantastic as well as the guides up on the glacier. The dogs were something else, wonderful! The way they are cared for is amazing. It's something you have always read about and to actually do it is an experience not to be forgotten.

Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Best activity in Alaska”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Costly but well worth this one-time experience. Wife and I did the helicopter to a glacier with dog sledding. Fabulous adventure made even better because we went wih Alpine Air Alaska. I was in co-pilot seat and wife in back. Our copter only carries 3 passengers but was just us two. We were flown to Punchbowl glacier about a 15 minute flight. Greeted by the 4 person crew who stay on the glacier during the summers for 100 days at a time. The dogs were from the famous Seavy Iditarod race team and train on the glacier in summer in order to have snow to sled on. We met with the Mushers and learned about the 70 dogs who stay there and dog sledding while the copter went back to Girdwood to bring up another couple. We were only suppose to be on the glacier for an hour but were actually there 1 1/2 hours and had a 50 minute dog sled ride. Only two to a sled and one musher- I was in front, musher in middle and wife on the runners in back- what an exhilarating ride- had to hold on in the turns. We stopped and switched places half way thru Sled was actual type used inthe race and they hooked up 16 dogs just like the race uses. Return copter was about 10 minutes between mountain peaks and beautiful vistas. What a memory and a beautiful day inspite of forest fires in Anchorage- about 1 hour away. Glad we went with Alpine compared to other companies who we had also pre-checked. They were $100 less than the other 3 providers we checked- Era, Temsco & Costal. Also, a big thing, is theothercompanies use larger copers with 4 in the rear so viewing wouldbe quite restricted vs. our where yhou had a hug window to yourself. We did hear of experiences on those flights from couples who went from the ship and they sounded good but not quite as good as ours- some were also cancelled at last minute which was a big disappointment for those folks. Our musher and gound staff took pictures with our camera which came out great. Staffwas so nice and helpful. They also provided all the gear-glacier walking covers over our shoes, wind proof leggings, gloves and wind breaker. They provided sunglasses which are definitley needed due to glacier glare but we had our own. They had a 300 pound weight limit before paying a surcharge (we did not need) vs. the other three listed above which have a 250 lb before paying $100-130 surcharge. So go do this before or after a Alaska cruise when you are stahying in Anchorage. Skip a few dinners out or gifts no one wants if you are concerned about the cost. Email if any questions.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank JoeFriday
Saint Louis, Missouri
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Best time in Alaska!”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

My family's whole experience with Alpine Air was perfect. We booked a tour for a family of four with two children including a one year old for the dog sledding. Glenda was great with booking and rescheduling. We were canceled for two days in a row due to weather but they gave us priority to reschedule at our convenience around our trip. One afternoon after being canceled the weather cleared up and I called hoping there was a slot for us and she said come right then and she would fit us in. They have all sizes of neo to protect from weather and soiling your own clothing which they help fit and get you into. The helicoptor ride was beautiful (about 8 minutes) up to Punchbowl Glacier where the dog camp is. The pilot was very nice and pointed out wildlife and tracks. When we got to the camp there was a greeter dog Chinook who was so giant and gentle even with the kids. Our musher Pete was just absolutely fantastic and very informative. He knew the answer to all our questions and was very patient with the kids. You can tell he has been doing this for a long time and really loves it and the dogs. You could tell the dogs were treated awesome and were excited to get out there and pull the sled. The scenery was spectacular on the ride and the ride was smooth even for our one year old. Pete did a great job and made us feel very included. He even stopped the sled and took a bunch of pictures with my phone so the whole family could be included. I can not say enough about everybody on staff at Alpine Air Alaska and can for sure say this was the highlight of our Alaskan vacation. They are friendly, flexible, and very patient with children. I would recommend them to anybody and thank them for the wonderful experience my family had with them.

Visited May 2014