“The cabin was okay, but the town and owner are not.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alyeska Hideaway

Alyeska Hideaway
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“The cabin was okay, but the town and owner are not.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed at several places around Anchorage while visiting Alaska. All of our hosts were fantastic and very helpful, except at Alyeska Hideaway. My husband and I were initially put off by the owner when we had tried calling her several times (home and cell) on our way into town and she did not answer or call us back. We had never received a travel conformation and did not know the address. When we finally arrived at the cabin, our credit card had already been charged. We were hoping to pay cash and were told we wouldn't be charged until we arrived. Not only this, but the owner decided to round up to the next dollar amount, which really didn't sit well with us. She had rounded our bill of $627.40 to $628. Obviously it's not the 0.60 that bothers us, but it just goes to show you the mentality of the owner. When we finally the saw the owner (who lives right next door), and asked her what there was to do, she simply referred us to the trail maps on the wall. Everywhere else we stayed talked with us about what we wanted to do and gave us some direction. When we asked if we could wash one load of laundry, she referred us to the laundromat. And she never asked if we needed new linens or towels when we stayed there for 4 nights! We felt that all of our other hosts went above and beyond, but this owner only does the minimum.

My advice is that if this is your first time to Girdwood, or even Alaska, do not stay here. Mainly because you will not have good guidance on what to do in the town. Also, I wouldn't stay in Girdwood for more than 2 nights, because other than the air tram to the restaurant on the mountain and a few hiking trails, there isn't much to do. The cabin was nice, but the owner is apparently hands-off.

Also, as for the cabin, it does not have black-out blinds, which made it hard to sleep. 2 of the windows didn't even have regular blinds and let in a lot of light! The beds are upstairs and very tight, and you have to take a ladder to get to them...so if you are not one to climb a ladder, don't stay here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mmccal5
PeaceandquietAlaska, Owner at Alyeska Hideaway, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hello and thank you for your letter. I am just learning about Trip Advisor and am excited for the opportunity to talk about Alyeska Hideaway. Though this comment came from a few years ago I want to start off and apologize for not receiving your phone calls - I can only assume that my cell phone was out of range or I was in a meeting and unable to answer the phone.

As standard practice with every reservation I send out a confirmation letter that explains the cost, directions to the cabin, cancellation policy, check in-out information and I also attach a document giving guests ideas of things they can do while at the cabin. I am sorry that this e-mail never arrived in your in-box. I also notify guests that their credit card will be charged on the day of their arrival.

I am also sorry about the .60 additional charge to your credit card. I can assure you that it wasn't to receive an additional .60. My charge for the cabin rental is always to the dollar amount without change involved so again I am sorry for the error with your bill.

The cabin has a three ring binder in it that tells guests different activities that are available in the valley and nearby - there is rafting, hiking, biking, skiing, snow shoeing, parasailing, fishing, cruising, even glacier climbing. I am more than happy to talk with guests in detail about these options and am sorry that the information provided wasn't satisfactory.

in regards to laundry facilities - we do not advertise that there are laundry facilities at the cabin. If a guests asks where they can wash their clothes I direct them all to the local Laundromat in town.

It is Alyeska Hideaway's standard practice not to enter the cabin when it is rented out by guests. We are happy to change out towels for a guest if they let us know they need new ones. Being that we live next door it is easy to service our guests - be it a change of linens or further detail on activities in our area.

My one regret here is that we were never given the opportunity to correct any of these problems with our customer. Had we known further attention was needed we gladly would have given it.

Again thank you for taking the time to write a comment on our business and we wish you well on your future travels.

Lynne'

Business
Grantsburg, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

The cabin itself was very cute and rustic. Plenty of space for a couple. Not so much for a family. There was a king and double bed in the loft and a pull out sofa below so plenty of sleeping space. Just not much space to move around, esp with luggage, etc. I also expected a bit more privacy since it is at the end of a dead end street. Not so. You look directly into the owners home out of the main windows and the whole yard just had a cluttered feel to it. We did love the homemade bread waiting for us! And the cabin was stocked very well with essentials. There is wireless internet, but only if you are right next to the main windows.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hi Rachel,

I have just discovered Trip Advisor and that I can read customer comments and also respond. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Alyeska Hideaway here in Girdwood Alaska.

I don't know if you will be heading our way again some day but wanted to let you know that my husband Patrick will be building a new deck on our home this summer! I hope that this adds to the feel for our yard.

We continue to plant flowers, put flower pots on the deck and this year I will be planting canary bird vine flowers to grow up the entire side of the cabin that faces the driveway. I hope these small things will improve the guest experience.

We wish you well and hope you have a great summer.
Lynne'
Also consider these accommodations in or near Girdwood
Ski Inn
#3 of 4 in Whittier
Midnight Sun Log Cabins
Midnight Sun Log Cabins
#3 of 3 in Moose Pass

Been to Alyeska Hideaway? Share your experiences!