“It is a Bit overpriced for the service”
Review of Alyeska Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Girdwood
Alyeska Hostel
“It is a Bit overpriced for the service”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We arrived and the hostel parent was not able to be reached, even I left 2 messages. Due that I had a reservation and the first time there I wasn't sure what I had to do. After the owner showed me where to go we checked out the cabin. It was dirty and not vacuumed. The shower had hair from the previous renters and spiders all over. We were glad we had our own sleeping bags. And with the quiet hours I didn't work out as well we still had noisy people at 11:30pm. For the service and cleanliness it is overpriced.

• Stayed July 2012
AlyeskaHostel, Owner at Alyeska Hostel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
We are sorry your experience was not up to standard. We have had problems with housekeepers this summer, both of which are no longer with us. During summertime in Alaska many people end up staying out later because of the daylight hours. While we do have quiet hours for everyone's benefit, not every situation can be controlled immediately. Staying at a hostel mixes many types of travelers on different itineraries together. My suggestion to guests is to be heard. If another guest is too noisy, let them know. Nine times out of ten the other guest will apologize and quiet right down. After all, everyone is on vacation and having a good time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2012

OK, This has taught me a lesson. I'm too old for hostels. This place clearly positions itself as a hostel, and that's what it is. I made a booking based on a friend of a friend's recommendation (not TA), when I was looking for somewhere in the Girdwood area that was a bit cheaper than the resort in town. And this place is a good value for the area, it ended up being the cheapest night of our two-week trip in the end. Please note that as we didn't stay in the main hostel, this review doesn't apply to the shared rooms. We booked the private cabin, which included a shower and bathroom, and a full kitchen. It looked like it could sleep 4 people-- two in a queen-sized bed, and two single bunks.

We arrived and there was only a sheet folded up on the bed, so went into the main house to get more bedding. Sheets are mismatched but smelled clean. There were two wooly blankets on the bunks, and we grabbed those as no other blankets were visible. There was a heater that was slightly tricky to get started, but eventually worked. There is wifi in the house (and on the porch of the house, which is about 5 feet away from the cabin), but it doesn't reach most of the cabin. Curtains are very thin, so if you're visiting in the summer you should bring a sleep mask. You should also bring your own shampoo/soap as there isn't any in the bathroom (although someone had left a quarter of a hotel-sized bottle of body wash when we were staying)

I guess my main complaint is that it's a bit dirty. Nothing hugely gross, but the stove had remnants of past meals on it, the shower had hairs from previous occupants. The main rug and blankets had what seemed to be white dog hair on it. Crockery and cooking supplies needed to be washed again before using. Like I said, it wasn't actually gross, just a bit more dirty than I'm used to, which wasn't ideal for me.

I would probably say that for four people that are happy to stay in hostels, this would be an excellent option. Good value, privacy, a bit of quiet. The man who was running it for the owners seemed friendly enough, although we only encountered him once.

Would I stay here again? Hard to say. If they added a soft mattress topper to help the hard mattress and had a thorough clean up including getting rid of all pet hair, I might, as it's such a good price for the area. But probably not if everything else stayed the same.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lettezilla
We are sorry your stay with us was not as good as it could have been. We have had problems with housekeepers this summer, both of which are no longer with us. I will agree that conditions lapsed due do the poor housekeeping, but we are once again providing a very clean hostel environment for some of the best prices in Alaska.
Boulder
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Pokey is the word to describe this hostel. There are three rooms, split level, ten steps gets you from the basement room, through the dorm and into the 'family room'. The lounge/kitchen/dining room is 10 steps by 4. Couch seating for 4 ... but beds for 12+ ... so if its busy there is nowhere to sit....you would be not wanting to stay here if it was full, but if quite is ok.

That said, its ok if you are not fussy and want cheap accom. while at Aleyska, not unreasonably dirty, owners are so relaxed i never saw them, rather a longer term seasonal hostel dweller does some cleaning and checks people in (money goes in a box). 15 minute walk to the ski resort, not a steep walk. Not for a family. Bed was ok.

Room Tip: Book the whole family room or basement room for yourself or with one friend.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank x_HappyTravels_x
Alyeska Hostel has a rich history. In the late 70's the original cabin was a job shack hauled in from Anchorage and put on an oil drum foundation. Over time it got a post and pier foundation, and 7 additions, all mostly made from reclaimed recycled materials. The first shower appeared in 1998, before that it was just a sauna and a pitcher of water. When we took over in 2002 it had a plywood counter top with a Coleman stove for cooking(propane tank under sink), one shower and toilet, extension cords for power, and a ladder - no steps.The failing foundation needed replacing, which was completed in 2008 along with a new deck and additional bathroom. We also replaced all the single pane windows. It's not perfect, but it's come a long way.
We host many families over the course of a season, many of which return. Sometimes the hostel is full of skiers, other times backpackers, but in general it's a mix. When families stay with us, most guests will be respectful of that. It is typical with hostels to have a houseparent who will stay in exchange for taking care of housekeeping and guests. As with Alyeska Hostel, we are open 24/7/365, so you will not always see the owner.
missouri
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Stayed two nights in the cabin. Very nice and cozy place with comfortable beds. Full kitchen and bath with a small eating area and stove. They told us we could use anything in the main hostel also, but you really don't need to, the cabin has all you need.
We tried to book the cabin again a couple of weeks later, but it was booked. We stayed in the hostel family room. This room is ok for an overnight stay...it is basically two mattresses on the floor with a lamp and outlets. The doorway is covered with a large sheet, I would prefer a door. Again, ok for an overnight. There is a full kitchen and two full baths in this part of the hostel...the other room is more of a dorm room. There is a small living room with a computer also. I would stay here again, but prefer the cabin. Everything was extremely clean, with plenty of bedding and towels available. We were offered cereal, milk and coffee for breakfast:)

Room Tip: The cabin is private. The family room is up about 5 stairs and the mattresses are on the floor. D...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank deltablue77
Irving, Texas
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Our stay was but one night, but it was very enjoyable.
We booked the single cabin. It stands in front of the larger house.
Had everything we needed for our stay..Would be a great place to spend a week as a jumping off spot to other parts of the state.
There were only 2 of us in the cabin...There is a full size bed and 2 upper bunks. One above the door and one above the lower bed....I had the upper bunk, the only problem I had was trying to get into the bunks..the ladder to go to the top is straight up and down, no angle to it....When you are as short as I am...5"1/2 the stretch to get into the bunk was pretty interesting..Again, that was not a real problem, just made things a little interesting...LOL.
The cabin is very nice, has full bath with shower and full kitchen..Very workable...
I have to apologize as I cannot remember the man who helped us with our checkin. He was very helpful and gave a good reference for dinner....
I will come back to the Alyeska Hostel on my next visit...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank weintzer
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I had to take away from the rating because they screwed up our reservation, but the place is very cosy. As with any hostel, you will have to accomodate other people with the living space, but we met some very nice people. A middle aged couple with their teenage sons and a young couple with 2 very young kids. Never seen that in a hostel. We had reserved a private room for us, but when we got there, they had given it to someone else, so we had to bunk. But it wasnt too bad. Clean and Cozy accomodation for a great price, considering everything else in Girdwood is so expensive. Highly recommended.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ayush1982
MN
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Booked two nights in the private cabin at the hostel since we had an all-day Prince William Sound tour during our full day there. The cabin is just in front of the main building and totally separate. One room has three beds (one on the floor and two bunk or loft type beds accessible by a ladder). Kitchen is in the same room as is a table/chairs and a heating stove (we didn't use the stove - weather was great when we were there).

Kitchen had a small fridge with a very small freezer space. Also had oven and stove for cooking.

The toilet and shower are now in a separate room with a door off the main room. Apparently that is a recent renovation.

For $75/night including taxes it is a great deal for two people. I think it costs slightly more for a third person.

I could not get the free wifi to work either in the cabin or in the main building (my laptop saw the signal but would not connect - seems to be a problem with many WPA2 connections).

When I return to the area I will definitely consider this again.

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank fti
Also consider these accommodations in or near Girdwood
Ski Inn
#1 of 1 in Bird Creek
Glacier View Suites
Glacier View Suites
#3 of 4 in Whittier

Been to Alyeska Hostel? Share your experiences!