“AWESOME FOR A FIRST GLACIER!”
Review of Portage Glacier

and up
Portage Glacier Cruise and Wildlife Explorer Tour
Ranked #2 of 36 things to do in Girdwood
More attraction details
Owner description: A popular tourist attraction.
Chicago, Illinois
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“AWESOME FOR A FIRST GLACIER!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was my first glacier trip. The hotel staff in Anchorage told me it was a must see. I got into the rental and traveled about 70 miles to Portage. Let me tell you the Seward Highway on the way to Portage was a beautiful view to begin with. I opted for the 1-hour Glacier tour, which was $34. It was 62 degrees in Anchorage and when I arrived at the boat it was 35 degrees + wind and raining. I contemplated on coming back the following day for the tour since the weather would be better. However, the staff said the glacier looks more blue in the cloudy weather. ( I sadly listened) Being my first time in Alaska lets say I was under-dressed and not prepared for the rapid temperature change a 1 hour drive would bring. I got on the boat and it was all filled with tourists who were prepared with scarves, big down jackets, gloves, umbrellas, etc. There is an indoor heated cabin where we all sat for the first 25 minutes on the way to the glacier. When we finally arrived at the glacier you could hardly see from the indoor cabin due to the heavy rain and window condensation. So most of us brave ones ventured to the top of the boat which is uncovered. We battled the rain and wind...I watched cameras and phones get wet and break from the rain. My phone almost was one of them as well with us all trying to get pictures. We all lasted about 5 minutes up there and went back inside. Considering this was my first glacier, it was something incredible for me to see. My words of advice are bring some water-proof gear to protect your electronics and dress very warm!

3 Thank PlaneFun1

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“What an awesome experience”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Do a trip here if you can. The cruise is great and gets very close to the glacier. There's heaps of time for good pics. Can't recommend this enough.

Arlington, Texas
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Can't see glacier anymore”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

It has a lot of information, and the film they show is good if you pay to get in, but it used to be free. If you just go to see the glacier, you will have a lot of information, but you will not see anything, because the glacier is in recession. Nice place, but don't consider it to be a good value.

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Salmon running”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Good views of glaciers on the mountains, even a small iceberg in the lake Many salmon running in the streams. Informative visitor center. Drive through the first, short tunnel to see a different viewpoint.

Sacramento
179 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Good first glacier experience”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This is a reasonably priced 1 hour boat ride across a lake to the edge of Portage Glacier. The ranger was very informative. The terrain is impressive and it all within 1 hour of Anchorage.