“The worst place to stay!”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Eagle River/Anchorage Are
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Eagle River

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I booked a room here because it was a great deal less than the hotels in Anchorage proper. Unfortunately some of the images used on the site are of updated rooms and are not a good representation of this location.
The couch in my room was covered in stains. I lifted the cushions to discover the "pull out" bed was broken... luckily, I didn't need this for my stay. According to images online I should have a coffee table, it's missing from the room.
There was also a random panel propped up in the "kitchenette" area.
Read the description carefully before booking.. there is not a hair dryer, iron or ironing board. There are pay-to-use laundry facilities.
The bathroom is nice, especially the shower. Lots of hot water with good pressure. That was by far the highlight for me. Another bathroom plus-- the towels; for a place that really doesn't impress the towels were incredibly soft.
A warning about traveling in the summer-- there are no air conditioners in the rooms, which means your only source of "cool air" comes from on ceiling fan and the window (and don't forget the sun stays up until well after 11pm in the peak of summer). If you don't like the sound of traffic passing you may need to pack a sound machine or purchase a fan from a nearby store.
If you just need a place to sleep.. and NOTHING else this place will work for you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PissyTraveler
Eagle River, Alaska
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We thought we were getting a great deal. We then learned the kitchenette, is a very old microwave, a refrigerator the size of a shoe box and a coffee pot. The 'breakfast' was a joke. We were placed on the 3rd floor. There was a screen in the window that fell out very easily...to the point where the management simply kept it after it fell out for the second time. This would not have been a concern had there not been a bench seat in the window. There was a slight 'heat wave' while we were staying there. This resulted in our room being about 20 degrees warmer than it was outside. Thus, we opened the window & left it open...which further resulted in our dog falling out of it. The location was nice, however, if I need a hotel in this area again, I will pay the additional charges and stay in Anchorage. The hotel also charged my credit card twice. When this was reported to Wyndham, all they said was that they could not monitor every franchise. Very disappointed, to say the least. Wyndham has lost my business and I will tell everyone I can NOT to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ERNURS2

Travelers are raving about these Eagle River hotels

Moose Pass, Alaska
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The only redeeming quality of this hotel is that the night manager/desk clerk was a gem. Believe it or not, it can get hot during Alaska summers, and we happened to be staying over the 2 days that it was 75-80 degrees out. Why they have no climate control in this hotel, I have no idea, but there is NO air conditioning. So we were basically trying to get to sleep in a hot oven. And there were no fans available. We mentioned to the evening desk clerk that we were headed to the store to by a fan for our second night, he actually just handed us a $50 bill out of his wallet and asked us to get two. So at least we had moving air and some white noise, which helped to rectify the other major issue with this hotel...the noise. The TV in the room next door may as well have been in ours. And I'm not sure how many elephants were in the room above us, but there were at least a few. I usually prefer staying on the top floor for that reason, but I'm thankful we weren't this time...because apparently the hot air we were experiencing on the first floor was not nearly as bad as the upper floors.
On top of the lack of air conditioning and the paper-thin walls and ceilings, the other inconveniences were that there is no refrigerator-a bad deal when you're traveling with kids, the breakfast is rather pathetic, and that the clerk who was working when we were trying to check out on our final morning had not been trained how to do anything of the sort, so what should have been a quick process took a full 20 minutes.
We will NEVER stay at this hotel again, and I advise you not to, either!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Midtown
HOME2 Suites by Hilton Anchorage / Midtown
The Lakefront Anchorage
#6 of 73 in Anchorage

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Eagle River/Anchorage Are? Share your experiences!