Grand Aleutian Hotel
All reviewsseafood buffetin townfishrooms are cleanseen better daysgreat jobtwo daysstaff was helpful and friendlyfree shuttlesmoking and non smokingairportflightaleutiansafewayvisitorsdealcafe
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 22, 2009

When The Grand Aleutain first opened it was a treat to stay there. Now when reading the reviews you do not see one good review prior to 2007. Even the review in 2007 still dishes the restaurant and tells you to go elsewhere. Now the carpets are worn, the bedding - you have to check to make sure you have clean sheets, the drapes are filthy and worn. The phones rarely work. It is difficult to get instructions or information about the internet service or any supposed "amenities". The workers at the front desk can be extremely rude. I was standing in line and could not help but over hear the condescending tone and rude comments the front desk person made to several people trying to get their rooms that had been reserved by their fishing company. It is sick that an industry that caters to serving people can be so rude to it's customers. Luckliy I work for a company that they must be told to take care of as they are usually helpful to any of our travelers. Overall it must be nice for them to know they are the only place in town and they can afford to let things slide and still stay in business.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank DisappointedinDutch
Reviewed August 16, 2009

When someone describes the hotel you're planning to stay at as the "best of the worst" you better worry. That's what someone said on my ferry ride to Dutch Harbor when I told them I was staying a couple of nights at the Grand Aleutian (or as it is more commonly referred to as the "Grand Illusion" Hotel. I ferried from Kodiak to Dutch Harbor intending to do a round trip until someone suggested--"Why don't you stay in Dutch for a few days and fly back because there's so much to see." After driving to everything I wanted to see, I was ready to leave after 6 hours. But I had booked a few nights at the Grand and thought--"how bad could it be." Well, it was bad. First, and in all fairness, the staff was great. The desk staff, restaurant, even the cleaning staff were very friendly and accommodating But this is where the positives end. The room was one of the dirtiest I stayed in. I wouldn't even venture to guess what the carpet stains were. And the beds and bedding. . .well, I am sure a breeding ground for bed bugs. TV reception was terrible on a TV that should have been scrapped 10 years ago. The restaurant was good but over-priced. And as for the "spectacular" seafood Sunday brunch, I've had better at Sizzler. Now to make matters worse, the day my flight was suppose to leave, they closed the airport due to fog and low clouds. They said that it sometimes settles in like that for a week. After sitting in the airport for 10 hours waiting for the mythical plane that was suppose to be on the way, they finally canceled the flight. So back to the Grand again for another fun-filled night. This time a different room. I thought it could get worse. It did. This room was worse than the other. My advice to anyone planning to visit Dutch Harbor for a leisurely vacation--take the Ferry and do it round trip. Even the spartan ferry rooms with no facilities are preferable to a stay at the Grand Illusion.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Frbill92
Reviewed May 22, 2009

I love Unalaska it's home away from home to me. I really miss the carls hotel!!!!!!!!!! The grand Aleutian is toooo expensive! $150.00 a night! The furniture,carpet & everything else in the room except the tv has been there since 1998-2000! Every time I stay there the only thing new is more dirty rug, ciggrate holes, phones don't work! I didn't like the front desk service, only the one guy that did the night shift, he took care of costumers and I've become friends with him.. The shuttle from or to the airport takes quite the while to arrive. So you best have some sort of entertainment! They deffinantly need new management! Wish carls hotel was still open! Sorry but u have no choice but to stay at the grand Aleutian unless u have friends that will let u stay with them! Get what I'm saying? Maybe some one should have the inspector inspect them and take away their four stars! Hahaha. Oh, the restruants, u better b one rich person! The menu has stayed the same also! The only thing was they took the fruit dish off the menu. Oh when I was pregnant I was 18 years old and everytime I went to the restruant the waiter kept asking me if I wanted the wine menu and never carded me! Bad bad bad! Eagles store has a good deli! I always go there to eat now! Espically since the room costed me so much that i cannot afford their restruant food! Once again theres no choice to stay there! Carl! Open your hotel again! PLEASE! I'm begging!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank ThaShortGirl
Reviewed October 15, 2008

Very - very - very noisy. Don't plan on sleeping!

This hotel is rode hard and hung up very wet.

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank Alaskanworker
Reviewed February 11, 2008

Spent a week there last October on a contract. Rooms were shabby, worn and dirty, and the housekeeper had the nerve to leave an envelope soliciting a tip. Sheets were not changed and had to nearly beg to get extra clean towels.

Chart Room restaurant was overpriced for what was served. Food was poorly prepared and tasteless. You're better off eating somewhere else if you stay there. The menu had not changed from the last time I was there in 2004. The bread was old enough to vote and the service was mediocre at best.

The lounge was the only good feature; the staff there were very friendly and helpful.

Overall, when I left the place I felt like I needed a long, hot shower. It's the only hotel on the island now, so our company no longer does any work there because nobody wants to stay in that dump.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Freezer33