“Great Fishing Lodge”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cordova
Orca Adventure Lodge
Mililani, Hawaii
“Great Fishing Lodge”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I've been going to Orca Adventure Lodge for the past 3 years and it is a great place to stay if you are into river fishing for silver salmon with both fly rod and spinner. The lodge offers self guided fishing on the Ibek Creek and guided fishing on the Eyak river. Both within a 15 to 20 minutes drive from the lodge. The accomodations are very basic but very clean. Daily maid service helps keep your room tidy everyday. The staff at Orca are very friendly and hard working. The lodge offers a great breakfast and lunch. However, it's the evening meals that blow me away. The current Chef at Orca is fantastic. Just talking with him I can tell that he is very passionate about the food he serves. This lodge is built on an old cannery and has a very rustic feel to it. What more can a fisherman ask for? Close proximity to the fishing grounds, very basic but clean rooms with private bath, 3 great meals a day, and one of the hottest silver salmon runs I've seen in the great State of Alaska.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cumberland, Rhode Island
Reviewed September 21, 2013

As part of an 11 day adventure trip, we stayed two night at the lodge. It is located a few miles from the center of town, so you will need a car to get around. The lodge is on the site of an old cannery and is perfect for sunsets, sunrises, spotting eagles, otters, salmon and fishing boats. The rooms are basic, but clean with comfortable beds. The staff is friendly and helpful. The kitchen serves an excellent breakfast and the dinners look delicious. The chefs take great pride in their dishes. The lodge is a great place to come back to after a day of hiking, kayaking, or fishing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank HowieTraveler
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I spent four nights in Cordova this month. I couldn't have chosen a better base than Orca Adventure Lodge.

I wanted to do some hiking and kayaking. I didn't end up hiking enough, but I had a wonderful time. After seeing pictures of the meals on Facebook, I chose the adventure package which includes meals and access to kayaks and fishing. I'm very glad I did. I wasn't the only person I met who said they'd return to Orca just for the meals. The fish and prime ribs were the best I had in Alaska. Warm home-baked bread and lovingly made desserts.

Orca offers day trips, but no one tries to upsell you on them. I went on the Childs Glacier trip to Million Dollar Bridge and spent a day kayaking with a great guide to the end of the cover. Both were very worthwhile. Most people at Orca come to fish, but I was too lazy to wake up so early my last morning.

My room was in the original building and had a shared porch and a gorgeous view of the sound. Sunsets last for hours in Alaska. It was comfortable and airy with a sink and fridge. This isn't a posh resort. You can hear doors opening and closing and people upstairs. I paid for the town internet which costs $7 a day is very fast.

The bottom line about Orca is how friendly everyone who works there is. It's rare to stay at a hotel where everywhere is happy and genuinely eager to accommodate. You can borrow rain boots or just hang around looking at the art on the walls.

A warning that nothing is open on Sundays in Cordova. I'd hoped to go to town but ended up taking a walk on the road and picking salmonberries. I went to the cafe to get peanut butter for an apple I'd saved from breakfast, and Christian found me a bowl of soup and let me try his latest cured salmon. (He should teach cooking workshops in the fall or spring.)

I hope I'll have the chance to return again. Four days was just the right amount of time to feel completely relaxed.

Room Tip: Many rooms have a view of the sound. Don't miss it if they're available.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Fairbanks
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

The lodge is the site of an old cannery. The rooms are clean, basic and have comfortable beds. You can book adventures through the lodge or just stay the night. There is a dining room with average food but it should be noted that they can accommodate dietary restrictions. The staff is very friendly and there are areas to hang out in the lodge so you don't have to feel confined to your room. We had a great time here and I would highly recommend this place to others.

• Stayed August 2013
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My wife, daughter and I stayed in a two-bedroom suite. It was wonderful in every way. The staff is VERY friendly and helpful. My wife is allergic to feathers, which we communicated ahead of time, and they went to town and purchased foam pillows just for her. The view from our room was breath taking and the food was the best we had in Alaska. At each meal, they listed several choices of each course. We woke up the first morning to see two bald eagles perched on the old pier post out in the water just out from out porch. We went on the jet boat ride to Child's Glacier (another must) and a small plane ride with the owner's mother to see mountain goats, moose, bears and the glaciers from the air. She is a great pilot and a wealth of knowledge. We also went out on the kayaks just in from of the property and saw sea otters, a curious seal and the two bald eagles in a nearby tree. Although we had a dream trip to Alaska, visiting Whittier (glaciers), Valdez, a drive up the Richardson Highway to Fairbanks (with a day flight to Barrow) and back down the Parks Highway to Denali, we would have been happy to spend our entire time in Cordova. It was so relaxing with no TV or telephones, although WIFI is available.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Nebraska
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The post card at the front desk of the Orca Adventure Lodge says it all--it is a hard place to leave. We took the ferry from Valdez to Cordova and stayed at the lodge for 2 nights. The view from our room was outstanding--otters, eagles, salmon and beautiful sunrise and sunset. We were with another couple, so stayed in a family suite with 2 bedrooms and it worked out very well. Everyone was so friendly, Teresa and Brian at the front desk and the kitchen staff. We did not have an opportunity to meet the owners, but did not participate in any of the extra activities sponsored by the Lodge. We ate dinner there one evening and breakfast the next morning and both were excellent. We even saw a black bear on the road the morning we were leaving. Would definitely recommend this Lodge to anyone wanting to stay a bit "out of the way" from town. Loved the quaintness or the Orca Adventure Lodge!! A true Alaska experience!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Very accommodating staff. Very good food. Beautiful setting on Prince William Sound.
Our return ferry cancelled by Coast Guard due to high waves and we had to return to Anchorage that day. Steve (owner) helped us get airline tickets on the only daily flight and arranged transport to airport. Put the car on next day's ferry and had someone drive it off onto dock. We picked it up later. Love the T shirts!
Very environmentally green.

Room Tip: Some rooms have kitchenette and some have deck.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Orca Adventure Lodge? Share your experiences!