“Everyone needs to go there at least once to appricate other places”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cordova
Reluctant Fisherman Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cordova
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Reluctant Fisherman Inn and bar/restaurant. The people that work there are fantastic. Willing to do anything to make their customers happy and comfortable. The clam chowder was great. Rooms are comfortable and clean but not what the experienced traveler that is used to the 4 or 5 star ratings. Go and see for yourself. Only way into Cordova is by air or boat. Food and rent a little expensive but that's Alaska. Price of gas on the the 25th of November 2013 was $4.75 a gal.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank James S

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I visited Cordova this summer for a business trip and got to spend time with our daughter who lives there. She said that the Reluctant was the best place to stay so I booked my room. I chose the Mountain Side room because I've been there several times and thought I'd let the tourists have the bay view rooms, and I would only be there in the late evenings. I found an Inn with some history, nicely updated yet retaining the old, rugged feel of an Alaskan remote town. It was very clean and fresh. Old hard wood floors gave it a fun feel, unlike the plushy overstuffed clean but sticky feeling carpets at many mainland hotels. There was no fancy amenities but the bed was very comfortable. There isn't a lot of extras but in an AK remote place that would be unnecessary. I enjoyed having the window open and listening to the cry of the birds and the town awaking in the morning. I read some reviews that recommended choosing rooms away from the parking lot noise and my 2nd floor room was perfect. No noise from guests next door, only some hallway noise periodically. I felt the internet was good and had no trouble connecting. Huge television that seemed brand new. I never made it to the restaurant but will on my next visit. If you are looking for posh and refined, you won't find that here in Cordova, but that is the fun of the whole town. You get a feel of the 1800's, a bit stark with lots of friendly folks who work hard to make things as nice as they can. My room was attractive but not overly decorated; it was very clean with a nice makeup counter separate from the toilet/shower/sink. You will find the prices more than you would expect but remember that AK is much more pricey than other places, especially in the more remote places. I live in Sterling, AK so I expected the prices. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Reluctant Fisherman and will definitely choose it again.

Room Tip: When choosing a room, ask for an upper floor room, not near the parking lot. It is right next door t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank WandaKSterling_AK
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I revisited the RF this year during a fishing trip to Alaska with a buddy. I was a bit apprehensive because I heard that things had changed at the RF and maybe not for the better - however, I found it all to be fine.
The whole place is a bit dated and a bit basic, but remember, Cordova is a small remote town with no road connection to the rest of Alaska.
The hotel is physically separate from the bar area, as a result of keeping on the right side of local licensing bye-laws but this means the noise levels are usually at acceptably low levels.
The bar area is excellent - full of local characters (mostly very friendly) - serving good drinks and food. There are views over the harbour towards the inlet and the deck is worth a visit if weather permits it.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor are better for those with impaired mobility - rooms starting with "2&q...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights. The room on the ground floor had a great view of the harbor. Our room was roomy and clean and had everything we needed. The bed was one of the most comfortable one we slept in in any hotel.

It's clear a lot of effort went into updating the room and hotel.

Complementary coffee and tea (and breakfast) in the lobby. Friendly staff.

The restaurant had great food and an enormous bread pudding dessert (the left over pudding will serve you a nice lunch the next day ) .

The hotel is centrally situated.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LaurensRotterdam
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I had a nice stay at the inn. The room was clean and comfortable, and the inn is located within walking distance of the harbor and downtown.

Like many things in Alaska, I thought the room rate was a bit high for what you get. The inn is basically a semi-renovated 70s era motel.

The staff at the inn needs to update the informational booklets in the rooms. The booklet in my room had documents dating back to 2008 in it. Most annoying was that the Wifi password in the booklet had long since expired, and I couldn't get on the internet. The desk was not staffed after hours, so I couldn't get the updated password until the next morning. I later saw that the desk person had written the new password on the back of a card during check-in, but I hadn't noticed it.

The inn is probably the best place to stay in Cordova, so if I ever return to town, I will probably stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Greg0ry
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Nice restaurant - good ambience, great views and good food. They even have a pool table and outdoor seating. I went the hoping to eat some fresh Copper River King Salmon as the Copper River river passes through their town. However, I was told that all the catch is sold elsewhere as it fetches better prices there. So, we had some shell fish dishes where the ingredients were not locally sourced. Bread pudding with wild berries was ok, but very pricy at $16 (for a 3 person serving).

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Sylvia L, Owner at Reluctant Fisherman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you for the kind review. The restaurant frequently features Copper River Salmon. All five specie of Pacific Salmon are caught near Cordova and processed here; right next door to our hotel, actually. We are proud fans of the best Salmon in the World :) It is unfortunate you received an inaccurate response from your server. Each salmon specie has its own season, and you may have visited during a "lull". During the summer we can usually obtain fresh salmon daily, and when not in season, we can still provide excellent fresh, frozen salmon. Especially the premium Copper River Sockeye, which holds its freshness and taste value well if properly vacuum sealed and frozen.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

The Reluctant Fisherman is a long time establishment located in the harbor of Cordova, Alaska. The restaurant is fantastic and it has lots of windows so you can watch the weather, the action at the harbor and the wildlife that is non-stop. Admittedly, I have not stayed in one of their rooms but have eaten there many times and think it's wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Janai64

Been to Reluctant Fisherman Inn? Share your experiences!