“BEST TREK EVER!”

Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“BEST TREK EVER!”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Highly Recommended! We had a blast on our Trek . . . i must say i love Horses and been on a few treks over my time - this one would have to be the best. Our guide was really friendly, great local knowledge of the island and very helpful. Took horses along the beach and into the sea (OMG) Awsome! Would go again for sure :)

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Pamela P

Christchurch, New Zealand
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Been there - done that.”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We were not that keen on going horse riding but my 18 & 21 year old daughters wanted us to go with them. We were expecting to go up to Wigmores Waterfall and then down to the sea, but didn't bother to ask first. We ended up only riding down to, and along, the beach and back to base. Apparently they no longer go up to the waterfall and it is now all over grown?? Anyway the 2 girls are horse confident and we weren't but we were assured that would be no problem. Halfway down the road to the beach my partners horse starts having a hissy fit and turning round in quick tight circles. Apparently it had something stuck in its mouth that it had pulled out of the hedge on the way past! Whilst he managed to bring the horse under control eventually it wasn't a nice experience at the time for my partner but at least he didnt fall off! However following this we had a nice ride along the beach and in the water although we were all expecting the horse to start playing up again so we were a little cautious, The guide was nice though.

Don't have anything in short pockets that can't get wet! The water came up over our waists.

Preferred the Coconut Quad Bike tour for excitement, however this was a unique experience.

Visited February 2012
3 Thank Wazcat
Christchurch, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Lots of fun and suitable for inexperienced riders”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

If your a serious horse rider - This is not for you. Its a slow paced walk down the road with our guide who was very friendly and told us about local plants/nightlife and his experiences growing up on the island
We were all a little inexperienced around horses but we all were comfortable as they were mainly very well behaved .
Now there are some negative reviews on here regarding the health of the horses which I disagree with completely. I have had horses in the past (the only one in our group who had)
And after meeting the guide and hearing about his horses I was happy with the treatment of the horses. They are as stated in other reviews OLD horses. Yep they are, they have been well cared for and loved else they wouldn't still be alive! They do have rub marks on them from going through the sea with a saddle on, This is pretty common.
They are not malnourished, they are thin horses but they are feed regularly (saw them - and horses should not be overweight that is not good for them)
We only went for a hour and enjoyed going through the water on the horses. Next time I would go for two hours! Not an action packed adventure but we all enjoyed ourselves and had a few laughs .
The only criticisms are : Very relaxed atmosphere (which I enjoyed but others might think its unorganised)
The saddles and bridles need to be replaced as a lot of wear and tear.
Probably not suitable for small children.

Visited November 2011
3 Thank KristySp
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't book thru jetsave”
Reviewed December 7, 2011

It was cool but best 2 have a bit of experience but up 2 u if u like a thrill u will be sweet azzz.but don't book thru jetsave they ripped me off they charged $65 and the guides never got paid so I found out u just pay the guide and it's only $50

Visited December 2011
1 Thank Tarrah J
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Fun!”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

i think this is the right one my mom and i went on.
we went on an hours worth of this trek and it was great fun!!
was amazing, hadn't been on a horse since i broke my pelvis so was a bit nervous but horses were good!..once i got on it was a blast!
Am looking for the guide 'Josh'! Be good to get in contact with him!
He called my mom mom! and we won the crab race cos of him! totally nice guy!

Visited July 2011