“AVOID AVOID AVOID - Do not stay here”

Sunrise Beach Bungalows
Aucks
“AVOID AVOID AVOID - Do not stay here”
Reviewed February 3, 2010

Our review is the same as everyone else's!!!! It's scary.
Did not turn up at airport
Rusty scrap heap did turn up with the doors tied closed with rope, and broken seats, so had to sit on the floor.
Finally got there at 1 am, 1 beach front bungalow was fair and the other was hideous, it was amazing that she took us into it. first chase the bugs out, I had to clean out the mouldy food from the fridge. my mate slept on someelse's sheets that night. I went there as part of a boy's trip to a mate wedding and even thought it was bad.

And the room was just hideous - I had to take photos to show people how bad it was!!!!!

NO CLEANING was done whilst we were there, no rubbished emptied for the whole week! I ended up leaving the bin (which I had to clean out when we arrived because the food waste had liquidfied) on the path behind our room with other rubbish stacked against it for the whole week.

The pool was green, we had no hot water in our room for our entire stay. There are soo many bad things to say, I've probably left some out!

The photos on the website were taken in 2003, and there has been no maintenaince since - the whole place is run down and delapidated. I had to look again at the website once I got back to see how we were suckered in!

The only other people who stayed there were locals (unemployed at a guess) who needed some place to live.

It's amazing how bad this place is. Caryn and Brian seemed friendly, but lazy as, - no service at all.

When you tell the locals where your staying, most of them laugh and ask if your hosts are drunk yet!!!!!!!!

Finally, there is no beach, the coast here is all rock and reef. You cann't swim as there is no laggon. it is ankle deep until you reach the edge of the reef 20m away then it's open ocean, and huge breaking waves to kill you against the rocks. during January it was good 2-3m swell for the enitre time it would of been suicide to atemp to swim.

Like I said, we were on a boy trip, and I'm a rough rooster at the best of times, and even I thought this place was bad!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
8 Thank mikestripadvise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
randycampbell
Reviewed January 6, 2010

Was picked up from airport by Brian (he was drunk, but he did offer us a beer) in the infamous Sunrise death trap van. Setting is on a rocky beach, and the bungalows are right near the water which gives you a fantastic island feel. Caryn and Brian stayed out of our hair for the majority of our time, apart from the odd rude drunken interruption at night. What was a total disappointment after I returned home was to find my credit card had been charged a second time by Caryn (after originally paying in full 2 weeks prior to arriving) for the full 1 week rate. I queried this over a number of frantic emails, each one having a new excuse tapped onto it. There were also times when she wouldn't respond for weeks at a time. After a couple of extremely short emails to her I finally had some of my money returned to me via an international currency exchange transfer...which in the end still left me $65 out of pocket as she didn't return the full amount. I left it at that I thought it was better than nothing. Please take this as a warning, Sunrise Beach Bungalows needs to be avoided, you'll realise once you touch down in Raro there are far better places to stay for the same money.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
5 Thank randycampbell
WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND
Reviewed December 7, 2009

Having read some of the reviews here after we had booked, we approached Sunrise with some trepidation but were pleasantly surprised. Yes, it's not a five-star hotel; yes, it has some rough edges; yes, the hosts are rather down to earth. We stayed upstairs in a family unit and it was clean, airy and had all the modcons we needed. There was a water issue one day but this was fixed reasonably quickly. The pool was also clean and certainly was not slimy. The location is fine and handy to Muri lagoon. If you want luxury, look elsewhere. If you want aplace that's comfortable with a pleasant outlook and owners who largely leave you to yourselves, give Sunrise a try. We will certainly return next year.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PAEKAKMIKE
Auckland
Reviewed November 21, 2009

Visited Rarotonga in September for a wedding. I have travelled extensively over the years and have never found such a substandard level of accommodation and service ever. Upon arrival at the airport our host "Caryn" with whom we had had great email communications arrived late and drunk. The vehicle was held together with rope and bungy cords, so much so we had to climb over the front seats to get into the back. She was full of excuses about the vehicle but it was clear these were 'old' issues not new ones. The units were filthy, sheets with stains all over them, the floor was disgusting, the coffee was rock hard, sugar bowl in fridge had ash in it. Inside the microwave was butter, crackers from previous occupant (but units had been cleaned that day!!!). Box of cornflakes in cupboard. Caryn bought us a breakfast due to our arrival time but we were so taken back by the dirt we didn't touch it. Cockroaches everywhere. On the day of the Tsunami warning Caryn and Brian (who seemed permanently under the influence) were nowhere to be seen. We had no transport and were left to evacuate on foot to the hills and just hope we would be okay. Later that day they dismissed our concerns so we left and advised Caryn we would not be staying. The next day we lodged a formal complaint with the Tourism Board.

DO NOT stay here. Luckily we moved on and had a fab time but it was only due to our ability to put it aside and laugh. DON"T DO IT.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
6 Thank ydnic8
Hamilton
Reviewed October 10, 2009

We arrived at Raro airport and host Caryn was no-where to be seen. She finally bounded up to us reeking of alcohol and took us back to the bungalows in a vehicle that should be written off. Back doors were closed shut with rope and we had to climb over the front seat to the back - that seat was joined to the vehicle by bungy cords...... The accommodation was disgusting - cigarette ash in sugar bowl, throughout cupboards on plates, box of crackers and plate of butter in microwave, dirty sheets, slimy towels, absolute filth everywhere. The swimming pool was Green and gross. Caryn and Brian appeared drunk majority of the time, when you could find them that is............ We abandoned this accommodation, you can find reasonable priced better quality anywhere else on the island...........the locals even questioned why we were staying there!! This place should be closed down, its a joke, the photos on website are not like what it is.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
6 Thank 1lorac1
New Zealand
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Upon arrival we were not greeted, units were dirty, sheets ets smelt mouldy and bath mat stuck to floor, shower didn't empty properly and the toilet spilt onto the floor when flushed, all but 1 of us got sick due to the conditions and my son was hospitalised due to this, we had goods stolen from the room, Karynand Brian fighting all the time, rubbish bins spilling over, pool dirty and Brian very touchy with my wife and female friends, we lasted 3 days and then did a runner to alternative accomodation, the place was the pits, another 2 couples also left at the same time, We conplained to the Cook Island Tourism Board and they were aware of this, Only whe we got to alternative accomodation could we relax, refund was not forthcoming and was only given once we had credit card company involved, took nearly 3 months after we arrived back home.
** WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS ACCOMODATION TO ANYBODY AND I AM NOT **
** FUSSY **

Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank Hammy128
North Island
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Paid in full for a beachfront bungalow 3 months before stay. The day before our stay was informed that we had been moved to the garden view room due to a lost email. Was offered a full refund. I am still waiting for my refund. I would recommend travellers to find somewhere else to stay. I fully believe all the bad reviews now and I wish I hadn't wasted my time, organising and paying for this place. Hundreds of other businesses on Raro cope well with the internet service there and I don't believe Sunrise can keep blaming bad management on unreliable internet.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple