“amazing”

Sunrise Beach Bungalows
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I stayed with bryan and caryn for about 3 of my 5 months in rarotonga, and it was amazing. i love both caryn and brian so much, and the dogs and cats as well.
You feel like a part of the family, and they cant do enough for you.
i mean.. this is island-life. things will be a little bit rusty, but thats only because of the saltwater and rain! Be openminded and understand that this place is full of charm and a part of the whole experience of living on a tiny island in the pacific ocean.
I would without a doubt stay with them again!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank linn j

Reviewed March 10, 2012

I spent four wonderful months at Sunrise. from July 2011. Comfortable,everything you would need for a simple lifestyle without fuss, Fantastic sunrises, whales breaching at your front door and the trade winds to keep you cool. Caryn is an excelllent and caring hostess, Nothing is too much trouble, The Bungalows are well off the road and in a secure environment.An easy walk to Muri Lagoon, Cafes and resturants.Planning to go back this year
Barbara Auckland NZ

Room Tip: Beach front Bungalows .
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We stayed at Sunrise Bungalows late October / Early November 2011 for 8 days. There were 4 of us in the 2 bedroom big house. Easily the best feature was the constant sound of the surf breaking on the reef. We left screen door of bedroom open at night to catch breeze and sound. Bliss! The beach is rocky so not ideal for swimming but it's a short walk down to Muri Lagoon which has beautiful swimming spots. Caryn & Brian are lovely hosts. No request was too much bother. I loved the community personal feel of this place. We hired a car and when needed visited the the big resorts to have meals & drinks. The pool at Sunrise is refreshing and clean. The accommodation facilities are budget, but we weren't after a 5 star and great value for money. Hosts are great - friendly and considerate. They'll tell you all you need to know about where to go on the island to make the most of your stay.

Room Tip: Remember Roosters are part of the Rarotongan ambience!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ClementinesNZ
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Sunrise Beach Bungalows is one of the awesomest places that I have had the privilege to stay in during my travels. I stayed there for just under two weeks and then returned 3 months later for two nights. What I find amazing is the feeling of a second home that you experience. The people are extremely nice and generous. Personally I loved the comfortable environment they create. The rooms are always clean, even when you had a mud bath right beforehand and walked in with your clothes dripping, turn around, look back and its spotless. They also seem to think of everything, including coffee for the mornings. I would recommend Sunrise to anyone travelling towards Rarotonga who want to get out and see the island or just stay home and watch movies. It is extremely affordable as well. Extremely happy with the Sunrise Family =)

Room Tip: bungalows are amazing to stay in, although the room above the office is beautiful as well if you are...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Chris48O
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Several years agoI went on the net and decided to go to Rarotonga. Found this place that looked very interestring.
looked like everything that we wanted and we where not disappointed when arriving to see what we booked.
We has our own little place beleive it to be #4 right on the water front, we knew there was no swimming there.
We enjoyed the serenity of listening to the ocean at night sitting on the porch enjoying coffee, sorting shells or
going to bed for the sound of waves putting you to sleep.
We where never bothered by any staff, if you needed something it was always got or done just ask you receive.
The management where more then happy to accommedate you no matter what. The pets where always welcome
in our place especially Baby who would crawl up on bed and sleep with my other half.
Our place was very clean on arriving from airport even some food supplied for us. Welcome basket sort of.
We have gone back to Sunrisefor a few years and really missed it when we could not travel due to health issues.
I have kept in touch with Caryn and Brian whom are exceptinally nice people.We are looking forward to our next
trip very soon.
This is not a 5 star so if you expect room service etc go elswhere and pay big bucks, this is one place I do not mind cooking while on holidays wew stay for a month or more. These bungalows are self contained (not everyones holiday) but we just love it there and cant wait to return. I could not find a place that we enjoyed as much as staying with Caryn and Brian and critters.
We also survived a big hurrican that put the towns supple ship up on the reef in town.
THE BEST PLACE AND HOLIDAY WE HAVE EVER HAD and we have travelled a lot. Sunrise Beach Bungalows
only way to go.
W.M in Canada

Room Tip: Get a waterfront bungalow you will love the sounds of the ocean
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Hosts were helpfull as due to "Ash" cloud our travel plans were disrupted and original accommodation booked was no longer available for last week of our holiday.
Due to school holidays & the fact the Island was pretty full we had little choice but to stay at Sunrise.
It would certainly not have been our first choice.
The amenities are pretty basic and long overdue for a revamp.
The washing machine in the "apartment' did not work so we had to use the communal laundry which was for all guests , permanents who live onsite plus used as the laundry by the staff for the servicing of units.
Other electrical appliances did not work ie blender , electric egg beater, and many light bulbs either not working or missing. One of our party also received shocks from one of the light switches.
The overall general cleanliness of the accommodation was very poor.
The hosts were both helpfull however and this went someway towards making up for the very poor standards at this property.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank NZMumWellington
Reviewed July 9, 2011

My daughter and I spent a weekend at the Sunrise after I had been there in Sept of 2010 with a friend for 10days. First time I stayed in the big house and this time in the beach bungalows both were fantastic, of course waking up to the beach right outside your door was beautiful.If you donot require the space of the House. Beach Bungalows have everything you need and a very nice. It is great to be able to cook in your own accomodation if you wish too.It's nice to be able to pop in to some of the larger hotels on the Island, but for me personally I would rather experience the locals hospitality and warmth than be just another tourist passing through in the large hotels. Caryn and Brian were the most accomodating and fantastic hosts and I would chose to stay with them again.I couldn't have wished for a better time with fantastic genuine people. Bonus of fresh octopus made into salad dropped to our Bungalow, On our last day at Sunrise, fun and laughter with our hosts and other guests by the pool. Airport transfers in the middle of the night greeted with a big smile despite it being in the wee hours of the morning and flight being late. In 3 days I think my daughter saw more of the Island and culture than other visitors to the Island see in a couple of weeks, With such limited time Caryn and Brians tips and knowledge was invaluble.

Room Tip: Cannot wait to go back to Sunrise fantastic all round. Hosts, accomodation, location.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family