“My rating of number one on the island.”
Review of The Rickshaw

The Rickshaw
Ranked #32 of 101 Restaurants in Rarotonga
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Cosy Asian Street Style Cafe in Muri, serving Vietnamese, Indonesian, Chinese, Malasian and Thai dishes with a range of vegetarian choices and gluten free items on request.
Auckland, New Zealand
“My rating of number one on the island.”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We turned up here per chance as I was yearning for some good Vietnamese or Thai food. Well I got exactly what I wished for. I wonder why I had to travel 4 hours by plane to experience great Vietnamese food that I can't get in New Zealand or in some places even in Vietnam. Salt and pepper squid - perfection, but could have had a little more on the plate. Green papaya salad - heavily peppered with chilli and wow did it not only taste good, but made my tongue dance (not one for the faint hearted). Vietnamese Parrot Fish curry - perfect blend of herbs and spices to lift the senses. Not too hot, but definitely packed a punch with it's multi levels of flavour. My husband had Swordfish in a ginger sauce, which was to die for. Again multi levels of flavour that melded oh so well. Got to, got to, just have to revisit this place. Great attentive and friendly service. And yes, we took a doggy bag home, but this time the dog got nothing. It was enough for lunch the following day for my husband and I. Thanks to the staff at the Rickshaw.

• Visited September 2013

“Do not go!!!!!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We went here after we arrived in Raro, very hungry late at night. The menu seemed pricey but it looked busy so we thought the quality must make up for it. How wrong we were!!!! We ordered the nasi goreng with prawns and we asked for it to be super spicy. What we got was super mild and super disgusting. Yes not just average or tasteless, either of which would have been much better!!! And the prawns were actually shrimps which had not been deveined. And when I told the staff about this they advised that this is how they are served there. When I told who I presumed to be the owner while paying, she first spoke to the chef and then came to tell us that they devein the large prawns but not the small shrimps. She said that this is how they have always served them (but she had to check with the chef first) and had never had a complaint. Not a single word of apology at the fact that we weren't happy about this!!!! Quality and quantity missing, as well as no understanding of the meaning of customer service!!!!!

• Visited May 2013
Darwin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Rickshaw”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Had a really nice meal here whilst on our honeymoon. Highly recommended and would definately revisit. Was very well priced and the food was great.

• Visited August 2013
Sydney
“Very tasty and reasonably priced”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We bought takeaway as the weather looked like it might turn nasty if we had eaten there and riding a scooter in heavy rain is not fun. As we had arrived early we couldn't see what other people we eating, but chose Hanoi fish (using parrot fish), beef red curry and some noodles. Noodles not so great but the fish and the curry were superb. Surprisingly so. It was our last night on Raro but if we had stayed another night we would have gone again. Recommend as there are not many options for Asian food.

Visited August 2013
Traralgon, Australia
“OK”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We looked forward to eating at the Rickshaw, as it has smelt so nice when we had walked passed the day before, and owner Sue Carruthers has a fantastic reputation for good food in Rarotonga going back at least 15 years for me. However the food really wasn't very good.
It is good to have something moderately priced around Muri, but I wouldn't eat here again. We were all underwhelmed by our meals. You have to book to get a seat, but I think this is a reflection on price more than anything, or maybe we just got a bad night?

• Visited July 2013