“Yum”
Review of The Rickshaw

The Rickshaw
Ranked #35 of 102 Restaurants in Rarotonga
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Cosy Asian Street Style Cafe in Muri, serving Vietnamese, Indonesian, Chinese, Malasian and Thai dishes with a range of vegetarian choices and gluten free items on request.
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Loved this place - small and quaint and the food is great. A real taste of Asia in Rarotonga. Portions aren't huge so if you are a big eater order a selection - they're all good.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Good food and friendly service but we left feeling disappointed, as it didn't meet our expectations and was over priced. We didn't see a menu before picking the Rickshaw but I think we were hoping for Vietnamese/Asian dining. We both thought our meals weren't really any different than other fusion style meals we have had on Rarotonga. Nice for one visit but we won't return.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

This place is a hidden gem amongst overpriced resort mediocrity. Very authentic Malaysian food that is absolutely beautiful and very well priced. If you only eat out once eat here, second flame tree just down the road :)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

excellent food,service, and the setting is very good, as was the price of the meals, very good. AJ & ANNA

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I would describe The Rickshaw as fusion style Vietnamese food. Dined here while visiting Raro for a family reunion. Eating out in Raro can be pretty hit and miss for me. My favorite place Tamarind House was closed for the holidays, but I was told The Rickshaw had the same owners... I wasn't disappointed!

I wanted to treat a family member to a special night out. I'm a vegetarian (no meat/chicken/fish), but my family member eats meat etc... Most restaurants in Raro usually have one vegetarian dish or I need to ask for a standard dish to be modified. The Rickshaw menu has an excellent menu, including a large number of vegetarian dishes.

The service was great. When we arrived we were greeted and seated very quickly. The restaurant is small and has a great relaxed atmosphere. We were very hungry and ordered enough for to feed a small army. The waiter was wonderful, politely suggesting we had ordered too much food and made some recommendations of what we should get - this was perfect! We ended up getting the fresh veggie spring rolls, green papaya salad, stir fry tofu, veggie fried rice and chicken chow main.. still too much for two people, but every dish was delicious. My family member is a big meat eater, but enjoyed all the veggie dishes especially the spring rolls. All the dishes were a good portion size, well presented and fresh. Overall the best meal I had on the island, during my two week stay. I'm returning to Raro later this year and already planning to eat at the Rickshaw again. Also pricing was reasonable, similar to a mid range asian restaurant in Auckland.

One other note is the child free policy. I noticed a previous review about not being able to eat at the restaurant with children after 6pm. On my visit the sign at the door read children under 7 years old welcome between 6pm and 7pm, or takeaways available after this time. We dined after 7pm and there were a number of children over 7 years in the restaurant. The staff were very child friendly, I noticed them taking extra time when taking orders from children and explaining what was in each dish. For those with children under 7, it's well worth eating before 7pm or getting takeaways! The food is fantastic!