“At home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Atupa Orchid Units

Atupa Orchid Units
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rarotonga
Atupa Orchid Units
You added Atupa Orchid Units to your Saves list
Reno, Nevada
“At home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

I chose this place on the basis of online information. I had never been to a Pacific islands other than Hawaii. I had 5 days in the Cook Islands, chosen because the airline agent said it was a pretty place.
Ingrid met me at the airport, and left me at the door of a tiny apartment - very middle class. There was nothing fancy, but it was clean little place with a queen bed & small couch, a fan, a bath with shower, and a kitchen corner. I also hard a little porch with furniture and a barbeque., and a yard with visiting chickens.
After a nap, I walked a hundred yards or so to a small store and stocked my little kitchen.
Later I caught the bus at the end of the driveway and circled the island. I rode that bus, with it's barefoot driver, every day. As I'd wait for the bus, local people would offer me a ride - to town, or to other things.
One day Ingrid took me for a tour of the island. She knew a lot about the history, and she loved the place.
One day we went to see black pearls - at the home of a woman friend. I'd had a look at store prices and these were more reasonable.
Another night we attended a wonderful dance competition, teams from all over the Cook Islands drummed and danced.
This was a good experience for me. I wanted to see what life was like - to get a littleidea of what it was to live there.
Now, Rarotonga is on the back side of the date line, my destination, Auckland, is on the other side. I was due to leave at midnight, and got confused about which night. Ingrid dropped me off at the airport the required 2 hours early. Nothing opens, nothing moves until an house before the flight. When I got to the airline desk & learned that my flight was the next night, I called Poor Ingrid who picked me up again at 11:30 and brought me home. Next night she again gamely delivered me to the airport, with a little checking, "You're sure, now, that this is right?"
In summary, an excellent experience, because of a knowlegable and welcoming hostess, and a comfortable home away from home.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
      Location
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
4 Thank nreno

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

The lady that we dealt with was incredibly inappropriate and rude during our short stay at this budget hotel. I don't ever think that I've had a worse experience at a hotel, and we have travelled extensively.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank madk325

Travelers are raving about these Rarotonga hotels

Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

This is a gem of a location for the budget traveller. It is on the back road (are metua) in Rarotonga. It is a 10 min walk to Nikao and slightly less than this to town (Avarua). Set up a long driveway the units are very quiet at night. Each unit is fully equiped for self-catering, spacious and super clean (service daily). There is no view to speak of but this is reflected in the low price. The gardens are very nice tho. The owners are super helpful and a great source of advice.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple