“Fabulous budget accommodation”
Review of Atupa Orchid Units

Atupa Orchid Units
Atupa Orchid Units
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This accommodation is perfect for those on a budget. The rooms are cleaned and fresh towels provided every day. Ingrid would often leave fruit in my room and said to help myself from her huge orchid as much as I wanted. Airport pick up was no problem although you definitely need to let her know you need a ride. Town is a 15min walk away. THe Wifi was not working while i was there however this may have changed recently

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank FrankieC462
There are newer reviews for Atupa Orchid Units

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Also the place and the service is a big disaster. We arrive late in the nigth and they said that we will have a transfer but ther was no one at the airport to pickup us to the hotel and we need to look for another one. The place is really ver old and all the rooms were plenty of things that are not usefull at all. It creat a really opresive atmosphere.

Room Tip: Forget it! there is no good room at this place
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank lpardo
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Stayed one night, rested in Ingrid's lovely garden the day after. Excellent place to rest after a night at Trader Jacks and well within walking distance to town. Ingrid is a very amenable host and helps wherever she can.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carl T
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Great place to stay on a budget. This place was very clean! you could eat off the floors. The host Ingrid picked us up from the airport with smiles ear to ear. I read the previous awful review on this place, They must have stayed somewhere else. There are no centipedes on the cooks and no poisonous animals or bugs! Most tropical place have bug, spiders, mosquitoes. That is why I picked the Cook Islands to vacation because it is a safe place to stay. So if you are on a budget and can rent a scooter or car this would be a great place to stay. We stayed 3 weeks in the Cooks and this place was one of the best for the price. Thanks again Ingrid!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Duwayne C
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed one night after our trip to Aitutaki. Room was clean and the host eileen was wonderful! Raro is very expensive so good place to stqay if you are on a budget. Thanks again Geoff, Curt and Dakota

Room Tip: cheap place to stay
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Dutch448
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Arrived after midnight from the airport and realised it was a bad choice. The room was tacky, dark, unclean, and zoo like. But as we were due to leave the next day we figured, for one night, how bad could it be?

Sleeping was difficult because of the strong musty smell coming from the mattress. At 5am, my wife woke me because she could feel something crawling on her. I got up to check who was sharing the bed with us, and in the process was bitten on the hand by a centipede.

We left the room after that, and later the same morning told the owner Ingrid about it. Her response, or lack thereof, demonstrated poor service. Worst hotel experience I've ever had. If you are somehow still determined to stay here, double check the prices before you agree to the room.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank twotaurus
Reviewed October 15, 2009

I chose this place on the basis of online information. I had never been to a Pacific islands other than Hawaii. I had 5 days in the Cook Islands, chosen because the airline agent said it was a pretty place.
Ingrid met me at the airport, and left me at the door of a tiny apartment - very middle class. There was nothing fancy, but it was clean little place with a queen bed & small couch, a fan, a bath with shower, and a kitchen corner. I also hard a little porch with furniture and a barbeque., and a yard with visiting chickens.
After a nap, I walked a hundred yards or so to a small store and stocked my little kitchen.
Later I caught the bus at the end of the driveway and circled the island. I rode that bus, with it's barefoot driver, every day. As I'd wait for the bus, local people would offer me a ride - to town, or to other things.
One day Ingrid took me for a tour of the island. She knew a lot about the history, and she loved the place.
One day we went to see black pearls - at the home of a woman friend. I'd had a look at store prices and these were more reasonable.
Another night we attended a wonderful dance competition, teams from all over the Cook Islands drummed and danced.
This was a good experience for me. I wanted to see what life was like - to get a littleidea of what it was to live there.
Now, Rarotonga is on the back side of the date line, my destination, Auckland, is on the other side. I was due to leave at midnight, and got confused about which night. Ingrid dropped me off at the airport the required 2 hours early. Nothing opens, nothing moves until an house before the flight. When I got to the airline desk & learned that my flight was the next night, I called Poor Ingrid who picked me up again at 11:30 and brought me home. Next night she again gamely delivered me to the airport, with a little checking, "You're sure, now, that this is right?"
In summary, an excellent experience, because of a knowlegable and welcoming hostess, and a comfortable home away from home.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo