“Not worth the trip”

Ranked #57 of 69 things to do in Rarotonga
More attraction details
Owner description: Reachable by hiking trail or four-wheel vehicle, Rarotonga's only fall is also known as Papua Waterfall, because water from the Papua stream spills down the cliff into a beautiful swimming hole.
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I went in march, after a storm - thought it would have water rushing down it, but it was a small drizzle. I wouldn't go out of my way to see this again, the only thing that has any merit was the drive up there, that was nice.

Other than the poor waterfall (maybe it's nicer after even more rain) take insect repellent.

3  Thank kate_adams_1993
in 8 reviews
"needle"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We went for a drive in the rain thinking that woudl be a good time to see the waterfall, but no water. However the drive up was lovely so it didn't matter, still beautiful

2  Thank KittyCW
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Took friends here - hasn't been much improvement since our last visit. Don't think this should be promoted as a tourist site

2  Thank 50TicToc
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Well, it had been pretty dry when I went, but there was no waterfall!

Probably best to go after some rain or during the wet season.

Not a major attraction, but perhaps a nice place for a quick dip on a hot day and a quick photo.

1  Thank Scott_Wgtn
See more reviews
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Not only is this a dinky little waterfall, it's infested by mosquitoes! We did the cross-mountain hike starting from town which took us a good 5 hours and ends at Wigmore's Waterfall. We had to hike through mud since it rained on us so we were all looking forward to taking a cool dip in the waterfall pool. When we got to the "falls", it was such a disappointment to look at but we were just excited to rinse the mud off of us so we jumped right in. Unbeknownst to me, the top layer of the pool was swarming with mosquitoes just waiting to pounce. I was in the water for less than 3 minutes when I noticed my back was tingling and saw a few mosquitoes hovering. I immediately got out of the water because I'm especially prone to bites, sprayed repellent, and put my shirt back on. I kept feeling hot but my boyfriend assured me there were no bites on my back. When we reached the main road (about a 15-20 minute walk from the falls), I revealed my back and asked again since I was burning by this point. His reaction -- "OH MY GOD". I counted them the next day and had over 30 bites on my back and shoulders (in addition to ones I had previously) just from being in that water for less than 5 minutes.

I wish someone had warned me before I had gone in because I wouldn't have dared.