“Great fun, but not for everyone :)”

Pa's Treks Day Tours
Ranked #16 of 38 Tours in Rarotonga
More attraction details
Owner description: With his blonde dreadlocks and knowledge of local flora and fauna, Pa leads several interesting cross-island walks through rugged terrain.
Christchurch, New Zealand
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great fun, but not for everyone :)”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Luckily my trip coincided with the days that Pa's hike was operating. Alas, we had cloudy, 'atmospheric', and rather wet weather the day I did the hike. Despite that it was still an immensely enjoyable experience. The day of my hike was Pa's 4127th time - quite a phenomenal number when you think about it. Pa is a lovely host and guide. I didn't find the walk to challenging, although there are a couple of steep sections including one called Heartbreak Ridge where there have been around 20 heart attacks - so make sure to take it easy and pace yourself! You do need to be reasonably fit, wear good footwear, and not be afraid of the outdoors like some other reviewers. The bush was lovely and the stream crossings were not too high.I enjoyed a swim in the waterfall at the end - I was already soaked from the the rain, so a swim in the waterfall pool seemed like a good idea! I'll definitely be doing it again if I'm in Rarotonga on a fine day! :)

Visited July 2012

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Rip off”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I enjoyed this trek, however it was not worth the price. The walk was nothing special, which would have been fine but Pa did little in the way of explaining about the rarotongan history and culture in the forest. Certainly a character, he explains about his healing powers and the importance of religion a little to much.
When a girl fell off the track, he said something about everyone refusing to be prayed for, almost being bitter about it. The waterfall was extremely disappointing, the water was murky and Pa recommended that we shouldn't put our heads underwater.
Overall this trek was worth it, but there was nothing that justified the enormous fee of $70.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Ken T
Edmonton, Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Cultural Knowledge in Nature”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Pa, a chiefs son and medicine man in his 70's has a fascinating knowledge of the medicinal uses of the plants on Raratonga and shares stories of his life, flora and fauna, and his treatments of illness as he takes you on a trek through areas near his home. He gives you samples of fruit when you return to his "backyard". Restrooms are available at the home. Definitely worth the walk but not if you are terribly unfit or unwilling to walk on the wild side.

Visited May 2012
New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Demanding yet Beautiful Cross-Island Trek”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

A few years ago, a group of us took a cross-island trek with Pa. Now, the island is only 30km around, but I must tell you that this was NOT a walk. It was a hike up a mountain, through dense, lush rainforest, and very intense. Pa was one of the craziest people I’ve ever met in my life, but it made for an amusing time if nothing else. When you reached the other side of the island there was a waterfall that we all took a dip in, which really soothed the muscles. It was a demanding, yet really beautiful, experience.

Visited June 2011
1 Thank MsKristaMarie
Vancouver, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“You have to meet Pa!”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We went on the Cross-island Trek with Pa, and really enjoyed it. Pa is in his 70's and has a lived a very interesting life so it was just really interesting listening to him. He was telling us that he would be doing a climb of the Needle (the big rock which you reach the base of - that is the highest point you go to on the hike) for some filmmakers in a few days, and you know he was going to do it barefoot.

Pa is very spiritual and centred on natural things, so he hates to wear shoes "unless he is going to Hollywood, then he wears his green Nikes". Says his feet keep him connected to mother earth.

The only problem with our trek was that there was such a large difference in our group we got all spread out and I didn't get to listen to enough of Pa's stories because he went back to get the stragglers.

Could not believe the amount of fresh cut fruit that Pa carried up the hill. The papaya and starfruit were some of the best I had on the island, just perfectly ripe.

Make sure you wear the proper footwear, running shoes or hikers. Flip flops, sandals or Crocs are a really bad idea for the steep paths with roots and rocks.

Visited April 2012