“Best eating from a shipping container. Ever.”
Review of The Mooring

The Mooring
Ranked #1 of 103 Restaurants in Rarotonga
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed May 28, 2013

A must-do. Really good casual food. Lovely, friendly service staff. Even after traveling on a scooter in a downpour to get a sandwich they made the trip worthwhile with their smile and promise it would be sunny as ever by 4pm (note: they were right!). The F.O.B. was our top choice. Worth every fried fish calorie! Came back a second time.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a very simple place, you sit outside on picnic benches, but the food is fantastic, the crumbed Mahi Mahi Sandwich is out of this world. We ate here several times an we were not disappointed. If you want beer or wine bring it as they don't have a license. Located right on the bay.

1  Thank Bigmike1126
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The fishing club was recommended to us by the owner of our hotel, we were a little dubious at first as the fishing club is very small. What a find!! Delicious, freshly cooked fish and chips enjoyed sitting outside overlooking the picturesque blue ocean - what more could you want on a trip to Rarotonga!
Highly recommend for a nice casual lunch during your visit to Rarotonga.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

As I was riding my bike across the island on my 1st day in Muri Beach, I noticed The Mooring Fish Cafe and stopped by. There is a fantastic view as you approach the harbor which is a treat in itself. There is also a "thought of the day" which is funny and enriching as you walk up to the counter. This cafe is outside with picnic tables an umbrellas and magazines to keep the solo traveler entertained;-). The service is friendly and the best on the island! Jill the owner is my new friend and I will encourage the tripadvisor community to not pass up the cafe!!! It is a Must Do before you leave the Island.

Now, I ended up visiting this place everday that I could because the taste of the fish sandwiches lingered with me throughout the day and night. Initially, I had the Moko tuna sandwich with lime mayo, which began my love affair. Then I tried the Tijuana Cajun tuna with spicey pickle sandwich, which continued to entice my taste buds. Lastly, I tried the FOB (fresh off the Boat) crumbled Mahi Mahi with lime mayo, it was yummy for my tummy!! Last but not least, the driver of my addiction was the Turkish bread that holds together the sinful work of art that must be eaten daily while adventuring the island of Rarotonga!!!

The Mooring Cafe will be an unforgettable eating experience which I will always come back to enjoy!!

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Our island host told us about The Mooring on our second day in Raratonga. This relaxed local cafe is close to the water in a shipping container. Picnic tables sit on the deck outside. They sell a range of amazing fresh fish sandwiches and a few other items. The smoothies made with fresh bananas and passion-fruit are addictive, Service is great. We were there twice for lunch and twice to buy fresh tuna on the beach which we took back and cooked. Nirvana..

1  Thank PollyBidwell