“Knowledgeable Skipper - best for experienced fishos” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Captain Moko's Fishing Charters

Captain Moko's Fishing Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Capt Moko's Fishing Charters offers you a true fishing experience! A mad passionate fisherman himself,with more years experience than he will care to admt to, he will provide you with a half day or full day fishing. His boat, Tangaroa, is a NZ Osprey and the Tangaroa is full of top class gear, Penn, Shimano, Alutecnos to help you bring your yellow fin/mahimahi/wahoo/marlin on board!
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Knowledgeable Skipper - best for experienced fishos”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I agree with many of the other reviewers in that he is an exceptionally good skipper and fisherman but can be a bit taciturn. Our party of 4 plus 3 other guests went out for a morning fish. We finally got underway at 6-30 from a supposedly 6am start with his stories of "the early boats get the fish around the FADS" wondering why we weren't out there. It was a very rough day and we ended up circumnavigating the whole island in search of fish, so ended up going for 1.5 hours longer than we should have, but no complaints as he was really trying hard to get us some fish. In radio contact with other boats, they were also bereft of a strike or two. However, the wily fisherman that he is, he kept his "reserve' spot for last when we did a bit a jigging and landed some nice fish. I can understand that he is perceived as grumpy but he did try hard with us to be entertaining and helpful. If you were all experienced fishos, he would be fantastic.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Upukonui

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“no fish”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

so i rock up to my fishing trip at 5am, i then get told that we cant go out cos im the only one, but i said i go home tomorrow, he said we could go out for four hours, which was more like two, there were no fish not one bite, it still cost me the full amount, would have been nice if he had contacted me, he knew where i was staying and had my number, never mind, mayb next time.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank katie_and_ben
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Best meal we had in Raro.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

The best food we had in Raro. Went back every day. The mahimahi sandwiches and the fruit smoothies are the best. Just mention "yellow flipper" when you order for a good laugh.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Greg S
Dunedin, New Zealand
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“I enjoyed my day.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

I had a good day with Capt Moko, an early start at 6.30 and only one other customer. I agree that it's a no frills trip, probably best suited to guys ( no toilet on board) and he is fairly brusk when hooked up with a fish. But he's a serious fisherman and keen for a result. We got a nice wahoo and he filletted it and gave me a generous bag. It's tough work with big fish and I loved it.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Felix150
Pukerau, Southland
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great Stag Day Out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

Good day out for the boys who were partaking in a stag day before the big wedding. Caught two tuna but would have liked to have landed a few more including the big one! Reasonable price if you have got a group together.

Visited June 2012