“Food versus Decor”

Flame Tree
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We thought the decor presented rather a cold welcom - but the food, staff and service compensated.

Excellently prepared and presented food (I chose fresh fish - what else in The Cook Islands?). Interesting, Very informative conversation with management before departing.

Location, not visible from the road and away from the busy part of the beach may dissuade potential diners. We were accompanied by newly acquainted, fellow vacationers and engaged in conversation, so may not have been very attentive to the environment.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

we stayed right next door to this restaurant so tried it out and we thought the food was average. The staff were friendly but our meals came out much later than our children's and they got tired and wanted to go back to our accommodation so I had to eat mine very quickly and leave while my husband finished his. No time for dessert unfortunately.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was by far a terrible night for our family,My Husband ordered an entrée, which arrived the same time as my 2 kids meals. I had only ordered The pork belly and my husband the steak, which arrived about 50 mins after my kids had eaten. Only for it to be very dry and not nice at all.
We waited a total of 1 hr 10 mins for our meals and when we complained on leaving to pay the bill, the chap behind the counter seemed to have nothing but excuses and only gave us a 10% discount, my children wanted desert but we told them we were not prepared to wait forever for it.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had dinner here on Wednesday night and it was very very disappointing. Service was ok & the setting is very average, but the food was below average !! We had a seafood platter that was very very expensive, some of the fish was not cooked, selection average. The other main the potato & vegtables could not be eaten !

When we went to pay we told the bar manager that it was terrible and he just looked at us !!

I would not go again and would not recommend it all.

Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

To begin with it looked great. Read the menu and wasn't swept off my feet but both my partner and I ordered the rib eye steak wrapped in bacon served with garlic mash potato and some sort of 'sauce'. The restaurant wasn't full so when we waited over 40mins for 2 medium rare steaks I wasn't impressed then i became extremely annoyed to see what was placed infront of me considering the wait. Both of our steaks were served extremely under cooked, the mash potato was average and it was all floating ontop of a plate full of sauce. We told the owner and he was good about it which was probably the only positive thing about our experience here. Wouldn't bother coming here for a meal, much better places on the island.