“Very Disappointing”

Flame Tree
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had dinner here on Wednesday night and it was very very disappointing. Service was ok & the setting is very average, but the food was below average !! We had a seafood platter that was very very expensive, some of the fish was not cooked, selection average. The other main the potato & vegtables could not be eaten !

When we went to pay we told the bar manager that it was terrible and he just looked at us !!

I would not go again and would not recommend it all.

Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

To begin with it looked great. Read the menu and wasn't swept off my feet but both my partner and I ordered the rib eye steak wrapped in bacon served with garlic mash potato and some sort of 'sauce'. The restaurant wasn't full so when we waited over 40mins for 2 medium rare steaks I wasn't impressed then i became extremely annoyed to see what was placed infront of me considering the wait. Both of our steaks were served extremely under cooked, the mash potato was average and it was all floating ontop of a plate full of sauce. We told the owner and he was good about it which was probably the only positive thing about our experience here. Wouldn't bother coming here for a meal, much better places on the island.

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

We selected flame trees for partners birthday. We should have read the warnings on booking when informed 8: 15 may be too late to arrive. (45 mins bus trip reqd) on arrival we were served entrees almost immediately and there was a sense we weren't going to relax and enjoy the night! Food was very av with the marlin salad being some pieces of fish with layered in rows down plate cucumber, tomato, olives and cantelope with a half plate bread. Not exactly the presentation of a top restaurant. My steak appeared to have been heated as raw in middle but piping hot which thought unusual. A drinks order was forgotten however were charged for. We tried to hold on but got the message with the packing up not long after 9:30! Quite pricey for what you got. One positive is that is a good open air restaurant do has potential.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This was our first dining-out experience in the Cook Islands, and we were not disappointed. The Ika Mata was amazing, but the truly outstanding dish we tried was the Pork Belly. The Service was relaxed and unpretentious, a hallmark of Island Lifestyle, but on holidays that is all that is needed.

We sat out near the pond, and whilst it was fascinating to watch the yabbies, I'd suggest diners give their legs a quick squirt of mosquito repellent if you're getting there right on dusk as we did.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I know this restaurant has had mixed reviews but we enjoyed our meal last night. Service was a little slow but, hey, we are on holidays! The Ika Mata (raw tuna marinated in lime and coconut) was beautiful and I had the coconut-fed pork belly for my main and it was the biggest piece of pork belly i have ever had and so tender and moist. It's a short walk from the Pacific Resort so a perfect way to walk off a good meal.