“Very good food in lovely setting” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Flame Tree - CLOSED

Flame Tree
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Toronto, Canada
“Very good food in lovely setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Food was tasty and nicely presented. Service was very good. Setting is beautiful. A few bugs around -- maybe just the time of year (bring insect repellant)

Visited February 2013

Venus Bay
“Superb.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We loved this place, and during our 10 days, we returned often enough to munch our way through the entire entre list. Without exception it was perfect; such a refreshing change from the island fare which features everywhere else, and not a drop of the ubiquitous tomato sauce did we see (I'm sure the island imports the stuff in 44 galon drums). Although not on the waterfront, the
place has a pleasant ambience, the staff are pleasant, professional and most obliging. It is however, quite expensive, however worth it for a wonderful change of pace.

Visited January 2013
Australia
“Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband says he had the best tuna he has ever tasted in this restaurant. An easy walk from the Muri Beachcomber, along the beach and through the rugby field

Visited January 2013
Vancouver Island
“Didn't live up to expectations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had so many people that had been to the Cook Islands tell us to go to this restaurant. It was really disappointing after having heard so many rave reviews. The bartender/hostess was great the waitress not so much. Dinner very expensive, and we don't mind paying for great food, however the meal was cold had to be sent back and came back not much warmer. The Seafood platter for 2 was enormous and full of great things. Some of the items meant to be hot were cold too. Could understand it if the place was packed. We were one of 3 tables. The lamb serving is enough for 2 people and again cold. The atmosphere was beautiful and this could have just been an off night. For the money though I'm thinking they're bad night shouldn't be reflected in my dinner.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“dining delight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

The photo of the restaurant is outdated as the wall separating in from out has been removed and the décor, although the same, promotes a smooth flow for both diner and staff. I dined with three others on what seemed a quiet evening. We ate on the covered balcony area overlooking the little pond full of native fresh water species including koura (fresh water cray) and an eel which I did not see. Mosquito coils burned and I did not notice the odour from them nor did I notice mosquitos.
For entrees we ordered ika maata (very nice) green pawpaw salad (which I really liked) and for the moment I cannot recall what else was ordered.
Mains included rack of lamb - tender and tasteful; two fish platters - ample and tantilising as the diners discovered the variety of seafood and their respective presentations; steak and veges - a substantial serving that quenched a hearty appetite and I ordered the marlin special which was cooked just right, succulent and satisfying.
Dessert followed - mud cake; cheesecake; special coffees; and I ordered the panecotta which was served with toasted coconut over fresh banana with a lemon sauce. The panecotta was a low sugar version of the traditional poke (paw-ke) and without the arrowroot. I would return to the restaurant just to have that again which I found extremely delicious.
For my next visit I would like to have the salad again and go for the seafood platter (that can make those who love seafood salivate on sight) and top it all off again with two servings of the panecotta

• Visited December 2012