“Cute place”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cooper Landing
Janesville
“Cute place”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Cute place with a lot of history. As with many places in Alaska you don't have a lot of options in Cooper Landing to go out for dinner.
The service was excellent.
The food was good, but expensive just like everywhere we ate in AK.

Room Tip: Did not stay at the lodge so not rating on that. Just ate in the restaurant.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WWJ_TX, Manager at Gwin's Lodge and Restaurant, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for coming to Gwin's Lodge and I'm glad you enjoyed the food and service. I agree with you that food is more expensive in Alaska. Everything we buy incurs additional costs in shipping and handling by the time they get to our lodge. If you compare our prices, you would actually find that we are reasonable as noted by other reviewers.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had seen cabins for rent all over Alaska and decided to give it a try, so I made a reservation at Cooper Landing. The cabin turned out to be a duplex. (I was not made aware of this when making the reservation). Most of the cabins where not duplex. The room was cute, but there was little to no insulation or sound proofing between them and the couple who came in at around 11:30 PM had a young child who through a fit upon arrival. We heard every word they said until they settled down. The room we had did not have a fan. I asked if it had one and was told that I could open windows. Only one window would open and it was in the bathroom. It was hot until the temperatures got lower late into the night. There were no room darkening curtains.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WWJ_TX, Manager at Gwin's Lodge and Restaurant, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
We are very sorry that your experience in the Willow cabin was far from ideal. The heat wave caught all of us off guard and we did not have fans to go around to all the units. We will definitely look into the window not opening and darkening window curtain issues. Yes, the sound insulation between those two units is not ideal. That's something we will have to address at a later time. The Willow Cabins is shown and described as having two units on our website, but I agree our reservation manager should have mentioned this to you when you called. We hope you can give us the chance to make it right next time. Thank you for giving us feedback.
Snohomish, Washington
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant every year since 1996 and it used to be great. It is now under new management. The dinners are still fine, however, stay clear of breakfast! I ordered "The Alaskan" (scrambled eggs and reindeer sausage). The eggs looked like, and had a consistency of cream of wheat. They were nasty! Never knew anyone could do that to eggs. I then tried eggs over hard. They came just the way I anticipated. Burned around the edges and on the outside, with a runny yolk on the inside. The breakfast chef is clueless. We ate there two mornings in a row and finally went to another local hotel restaurant for the rest of the week. On an upside, the restaurant has been cleaned up and looks nice. Too bad the food doesn't.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte B, General Manager at Gwin's Lodge and Restaurant, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
I apologize for the unfortunate experience you had recently at Gwin's Lodge. This may be a case of our new cooks still getting used to the temperature settings on our kitchen equipment. I have addressed these issues you raised with the cooks to make sure it never happens again. I appreciate your voicing your opinion out of concern for us and I hope you can give us another chance next time you come to Cooper Landing.
Mukilteo, Washington
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Help me Rhonda...I had the best burger of my life! Yes, I was hungry after a long day of fishing on the Russian River, but it was seriously an exceptional burger. I thought I ordered a burger with some sort of apple bacon which sounded interesting...but oh no no… what I got was more than a pleasant surprise. The meat was made to order; medium rare and cooked perfectly, it was piled with blue cheese, bacon and topped with freshly sliced green apples! Oh my. On the side was a crisp bit of lettuce, tomato, onions and pickles to doll it up as I saw fit. For my side I chose the fries that were fresh cut, crisp and not at all heavy… a perfect accompaniment with my Mack Daddy Burger. My boyfriend and I sat on bar stools in front of the kitchen and watched Gwin's chef create our delicious dinner. Super friendly bunch of folks at Gwin’s Lodge, from the wait staff, our Chef- even the owner had a nice chat with me. Loved the setting…very rustic, quaint and tucked in some amazing scenery in the Chugach National Forest and right off the Kenai and Russian Rivers. Heaven –Thanks Gwin’s!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PollyannaPeach
Wei Wei J, Manager at Gwin's Lodge and Restaurant, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
We really appreciate your taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your burger! It makes us happy that our customers are happy. Please come back soon!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 27, 2012

A former alaskan resident suggested gwin's and we were not dissapointed. The cabin we stayed in for 3 nights (#6) was a cabin on the outside and a very nice room on the inside. We had a small but full kitchen, nice living area with lots of windows plus room to sleep at least 4 if not more. We also had a nice porch on the front where mountain views could be enjoyed. The staff was extremely helpful and very accomodating. When we couldn't find a guide to take my wife and i fishing they made a call and got me a better deal then anywhere else i had looked. We ate there our first day and food and service was great. My wife had been a little skeptical about staying in a cabin, but this ended up being the her favorite placed we stayed for our whole alaska trip

Room Tip: If there to fish, fish packing and tackle shop are right next to Gwins on the road. Also a short dr...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kokonut33
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad you had a good experience staying at Gwin's Lodge. We hope you can come back soon. Thank you!
Beverly Hills, Michigan
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Great place to stay if you go with fishing in find. Not a place to take your family but I don't think they are trying to attract that segment of the market. Loft is not tall enough for an adult to sit up in bed. Have to crawl to bed. Very quite place as the fisherman go to bed rather early

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
WWJ_TX, Owner at Gwin's Lodge and Restaurant, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dave, thank you for your input. Yes I agree the lofts don't give adults much head room, but I disagree that families would not find our accommodations satisfactory. We have hosted families of all sizes here. Perhap your group could have stayed in the Alder Cottage House, which would give adequate room to all the adults in your group. We are sorry that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory to you. Please give us another chance to make it right. Thank you!
Annandale, New Jersey
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Under new management - January 2012. Stopped here in August, 2012 for a wonderful breakfast. The bar and dining area are in an old log cabin with slanted plank floors. Breakfast and service was great. I had pancakes (light & fluffy), with eggs and great bacon. My wife had a delicious salmon omelet and our friends had eggs and reindeer sausage. Good coffee and friendly and helpful service. They also had cute log cabins for rent but we were headed to Homer. Just around the corner is access to Chugach National Forest where you can see the salmon spawning on the Russian River. Fantastic walk along river.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank 850David_C
Thank you for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your breakfast at Gwin's Lodge. It makes us very happy that you had such a good experience with us!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cooper Landing
Renfro's Lakeside Retreat
Midnight Sun Log Cabins
Midnight Sun Log Cabins
#3 of 3 in Moose Pass

Been to Gwin's Lodge and Restaurant? Share your experiences!