“Just what we were looking for”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Drifter's Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cooper Landing
Drifter's Lodge
san francisco
“Just what we were looking for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2008

With only a few days to plan my trip to Alaska and absolutely no previous knowledge of the state, I did a quick bit of research online and came across the Drifter's Lodge. With not much time to dedicate to planning, I made a call to Frank, one of the owners, and threw all of my eggs into one basket and decided to spend my entire trip in Cooper Landing. It might have been a bit risky but it paid off as Frank, Bob and the Drifter's crew gave me exactly the vacation I was looking for. The property is beautiful and Frank and Bob made sure that anything and everything we needed was taken care of. The cabins are very versatile and the grounds are beautifully maintained...and as I looked around at some of the other local lodges, this is often not the case. Frank and Bob are quick to make any and all arrangements for fishing, bear viewing, tours, etc. and in every case, they were spot on with their recommendations. Their fishing guides are among the best in the area as well. When my friends got the flu and left a day early, Frank and Bob made sure that I had plenty to do and even had one of their staff members, a good guy named Chuck, take me down the river for some fishing. If these guys opened a lodge anywhere in the world, I would go. They are that good. If you want the Four Seasons, go to San Francisco. But if you want to go to Alaska, Drifter's is the real deal.

Stayed August 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2008

We were a group of three girls and had a great time at Drifter's Lodge. Two of us went guided fishing on the river and were treated very well and without any condescension at all, had a fantastic time.

We stayed in a bunk room in the lodge. The room was cosy, but well equipped (fridge, tv, plenty of pillows/blankets) and the bathroom was great. Breakfasts were very generous with a great range of fresh-baked pastries, muffins, bagels and cereals, juice and coffee.

We enjoyed sitting on the deck, hanging out around the campfire, and the sauna with the lovely view over the river. The location is fantastic. It really is right on the river and you can walk down the bank (there are steps) to the water.

Frank and Bob were brilliant hosts and very helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Great Hosts and Lovely Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2007

If you’re looking for a true Alaska experience, this is the place to be. The cabins are casually comfortable with majestic views situated on the famous Kenai River. Frank and Bob are delightful, friendly, and accommodating hosts. My first trip to Alaska was in August 2007 and I was so taken by the beauty, the people and the fishing that I returned twice within the following two months (Sept and Oct). I tried staying at another lodge during my second trip but found myself regretting that decision and ended up moving back to Drifter’s Lodge.

Anglers are greeted every morning with a warm smile from Carol who often gets up as early as 3:30am to ensure they are provided with a yummy breakfast and hot coffee before heading out for fishing. The evening fire at the firepit is a wonderful place to get to know other travelers and to exchange stories of the day’s adventures. And I have to agree with the previous reviewer, the fishing guides most definitely rock! They are knowledgeable, friendly, professional and fun. I plan to visit Cooper Landing many times in the years to come and Drifter’s Lodge is the only place I plan to stay.

• Liked — Location and people
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank yself
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2007

I've been staying at Drifter's for the past 3 years and I would never think of going anywhere else. The hosts are wonderful, the view is spectacular, it is a splendid place. They have a great breakfast in the morning, grills to cook your day's catch on, a firepit in the evening...it is a great place! I know there was one bad review and all I could gather from that is that those people need their bed turned down every night while on vacation. Alaska is a wilderness. If you don't want to really experience it, then stay at the Princess. The Drifters is a perfect combination of casual comfort and laid back beauty. A great place to unwind, relax, and soak it all in! And the fishing guides rock as well!!!

• Liked — View, hosts, accommodations
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2007

We stayed in the first cabin right on the river. The view was heartstoppingly beautiful. And that is basically the only good thing I can say about the property.

The cabins are attractive from the outside, but junky and shabby on the inside.

We were told our cabin was the best on the property. I'd hate to see the others. All the furniture was old and mismatched. It was so crowded it was difficult to move around in the cabin. There was absolutely no place to set our suitcases to open them up.

The "full kitchenette" was creepy and totally inadequate. I had to scrub out the inside of the coffee pot because it was filthy. There was no bathroom sink--only the one in the kitchenette. There was no proper door on the bathroom--only some kind of folding accordion-type thing that didn't latch properly.

Right outside the cabin was the nightly campfire where everyone gathered for quite some time into the night. The curtains on our windows were too small to close completely. So we had to change clothes in the bathroom since everyone could see into our cabin.

The stairs up to the beds in the loft were the most treacherous I've ever seen. Besides being incredibly steep, you had to bend over to go up and down. I was terrified of falling.

The beds in the loft were squeezed under the eaves so that if you sat up in bed you'd hit the ceiling.

When I tried to close the window, it was broken. So I had to take the screen out and pull it closed with my hand. All the while I was beating back the mosquitoes that were now coming into room.

There was a bizarre humming noise that happened sporadically through the night and kept us awake.

The cabin is advertised as "handicap accessible." They do provide a ramp instead of steps into the cabin, a bed on the ground floor, and grab bars in the shower. However, I don't know how a person would get a wheelchair from their vehicle to the ramp because the entire driveway is gravel. Once inside the cabin, there is no way a wheelchair could be used. There is too much furniture blocking the way. It was dangerous for my husband to walk in there with so many obstacles in his path.

The owners and most of the guests were a bit odd to say the least. It felt like we were in an alternate universe. Everywhere else we stayed in Alaska, people were very nice and interesting, but these people definitely march to the beat of a different drummer. Plus they were constantly bragging about how upscale the property is--they just didn't have a clue.

Everything overall just seemed seedy and shabby. Plus unless you fish, there is NOTHING to do here except for a scenic float trip. We took that with Alaska Wildland Adventures. That was wonderful and the river is beautiful. But you could do that as a day trip from Seward which is very close.

Restaurant options are extremely limited. Everyone told us to go to Gwin's Lodge. Very grubby and shabby. Our burgers were so hard we could hardly eat them.

And get this: Drifter's Lodge was the most expensive accommodation we had in Alaska. $300.00 per night. Fortunately, we had used the Toursaver book, so we got one night "free."

But guess what? We didn't stay for our free night. We went back to Anchorage and stayed at the Comfort Inn for $116.00. It was our last night in Alaska, and we didn't want our fabulous trip to end on a sour note. It was good to stay in a normal hotel with a normal type of room. Plus they even had a pool which we thoroughly enjoyed for our last night.

All our other accommodations in Alaska were terrific: Indian Cove B&B in Auke Bay, Mile-Zero B&B in Skagway, Glacier Bay Lodge, Rose Ridge B&B in Palmer, Denali Fireside Cabins in Talkeetna, Dimond Center Hotel in Anchorage, Bear's Den B&B in Seward, and Comfort Inn in Anchorage. We would return to ANY of those properties, but NOT to Drifter's Lodge.

• Liked — The incredible view
  • Disliked — The lack of comfort in the cabin
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
11 Thank desertwanderer
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2007

My family & I stayed at the Drifters Lodge this weekend and had a great time. The owners Bob & Frank are super nice and offer a wonderful overall experience. Our cabin (#4) had all the amenities including, mini fridge, 2 burner stove, coffee maker, tv, vcr, dvd) much more than I expected. Although they don't offer the breakfast after September 15th, they still provided cereal and fresh baked muffins and brownies. They build a bond fire each night and keep it stocked with wood and even provide marshmellows. I would definitely stay there again, it's not the ritz carlton but it's warm and comfortable and offers that Alaskan charm and hospitality that most people come here for.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank JustRandom
Southern Outerbanks of NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2006

After 5 nights in Seward, we went inland for 3 nights to hike the Russian River and raft on the Kenai River.

We chose Drifters Lodge as the base for this part of the trip. Our townhouse cabin was reasonably clean. The beds were great. The rest of the furniture left a little to be desired. Overall the cabin was clearly above average for what we paid, based on Alaska expectations.

The location of the lodge was terrific! Great views from cabin and main lodge. No road noise in our cabin. Eagles around lodge and ducks and loons on the water. Cingular wireless connected in the cabin. TV in the main lodge.

The two women operating the lodge during our stay were wonderful, friendly and interesting to be around.

The continental breakfast was more of a breakfast buffet with fresh baked goods, prepared fresh fruit, boiled eggs, etc. It was out each morning by 4:00am.

We recommend Drifters Lodge and would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
Inn at Tern Lake
Inn at Tern Lake
#1 of 3 in Moose Pass
Renfro's Lakeside Retreat

Been to Drifter's Lodge? Share your experiences!