TripAdvisor
Cooper Landing
Post
Inbox
Search

“Yum! Good food, friendly service, and quickly!”
Review of Gwin's Lodge

Gwin's Lodge
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The historic Gwin's Lodge is located in Cooper Landing in the Kenai Peninsula in south central Alaska, which is known as "Alaska's playground." We are the closest lodging near the confluence of two world-class salmon streams - the Kenai River and the Russian River. Gwin's Lodge is open seven days a week serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and has 17 cabins that can each accommodate 4 to to 6 guests with two cottage houses that can each accommodate up to 12 guests.
Reviewed May 30, 2016 via mobile

We were on Cooper landing for two days and ate dinner at gwin's both days! The service was very friendly and considerate, and the food was pretty darn tasty for something fast. Not many healthy options, but I don't think that's gwins' intention. Stop here for some great burgers, some really yummy salmon chowder, or a hearty sandwich and you'll be glad you did :)

Date of visit: May 2016
Write a reviewReviews (184)

Reviewed March 17, 2016

We rented the cabin with 2 bunk beds. All you need for a good nights sleep so you can start your day of fishing, hiking, kayaking or whatever adventure you have planned.

Date of visit: June 2015
Reviewed November 24, 2015

Gwin's is a crooked little lodge along the beautiful Kenai River.

My husband and I were staying in Moose Pass and Cooper's Landing had the best food selection without going into Seward. As we were nearing the end of our long trip, we were looking for a casual home-style meal. We certainty got it!

We bother ordered hamburgers and sweet potato fries. I also tried the smoked salmon chowder, which was delicious. There were no frills - just good food and cheap drinks! The restaurant was clean and the waitstaff were friendly. It was a little dark and the floor leans, but I think that is all a part of the lodge's charm.

Date of visit: June 2015
Reviewed October 2, 2015

The evening I was there it was the only restaurant open so I have to give them some credit for simply being open. I had the bacon cheeseburger which in an unfamiliar restaurant us a safe "go to" because basically is us a meal that is pretty hard to screw up. They did a good job and it was a satisfying and enjoyable meal. The frys were really good and the only negative is the Alaskan Amber beer I had was slightly off. It was still a good beer but I am a fan if Alaskan Amber and know what it should taste like. They either are using an air compressor to push the best rather than co2 or it has just been around awhile and was slightly oxidized...still drinkable. The service was good and the staff was friendly. I liked the rustic atmosphere and decor. The prices were a little high but I guess when you are the only place open you can charge what you want. Bottom line is I will go back.

Date of visit: September 2015
Keith M, General Manager at Gwin's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2015

“Rustic place located in the heart of Kenai river fishing.” Thanks for the feedback. It is CO2 from Coke & I will let the beer distributor K&L know and check it out. We try our best and if you ever get something you are not happy with let us know because we can make mistakes.

------"Great as alway! We'll be back for carrot cake. Make sure you hire Erika again next year." Lori D., Anchorage AK, on-site review card 9/2015 ------

Reviewed September 27, 2015

This is a great place for lunch between Anchorage & Seward. We had an order of onion rings – very large & excellent. We shared a bowl of very good smoked salmon chowder – our waitress recommend a bowl instead of 2 cups because we wound up with more. We also had the very good pulled pork sandwiches with fries. All the food was very good and reasonably priced. Our waitress was delightful and fun to talk to.

Date of visit: September 2015

With modern roads a lot of people zip by not knowing we are here. Gwin's Lodge started business in a tent when it was a horse trail out front, and the restaurant opened the year the gravel road was completed). Thank you for taking time to relax and eat with us! We try our best and if you ever get something you are not happy with let us know because we can make mistakes.

------"Just got off the Resurrection Trail, starving. Our waitress was a real treat and the food hit the spot. Thank you!" Hannah & Kenz, Anchorage AK, on-site review card 9/2015 ------